• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long-tailed Skua/Jaeger Merseyside UK age needed (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Yesterday I was late onto a Long-tailed Skua that flew past the house - it was an obvious LTS on build/jizz, and from behind/above and flying away, it was silvery grey uppered with striking B&W upper tail coverts, but beyond that I couldn't see any details

I assumed that it was a juv and called Hilbre to let them know it was coming and might even go behind them

Fortunately, they got onto it straight away [especially so since my call went to voicemail]

There are some excellent shots of it. The central tfs are long and pointed. There is a ghost of a cap.

1st summer is a really rare plumage in Europe, but is that what it is?

Photos by Phil Woollen on Hilbre

1st one larger

https://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=703959&d=1567696133

Attachments

• lts1.jpg
    lts1.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 199
  • lts2.jpg
    lts2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 145
  • phil lts uooer.jpg
    phil lts uooer.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Might the under-wing flash at the base of the primaries be somewhat extensive for LTS?

Cheers

Might the under-wing flash at the base of the primaries be somewhat extensive for LTS?

Cheers

It's the upper wing that matters though surely. Having blown up this picture I can see contrast between the flight feathers and upper wing coverts that you might expect on an adult bird.

Not being this year's bird would explain the central tail feathers.

Attachments

• uppers.jpg
    uppers.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 136
It's the upper wing that matters though surely. Having blown up this picture I can see contrast between the flight feathers and upper wing coverts that you might expect on an adult bird.
Not being this year's bird would explain the central tail feathers.
Good reasoning. Agree to a LTS. I'm still thinking of a first year bird.
Jean

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back