• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turnstones (1 Viewer)

mrs fish

Just got back from a very very cold east coast visit, I saw a few of these birds on the shoreline, they were well camoflaged and didn't seem to mind the cold, when I got home I looked them up and they were turnstones, are they common to the east coast? I have not seen them before.

mrs fish said:
Just got back from a very very cold east coast visit, I saw a few of these birds on the shoreline, they were well camoflaged and didn't seem to mind the cold, when I got home I looked them up and they were turnstones, are they common to the east coast? I have not seen them before.
i to have been on a very cold visit to the east coast i saw turnstones at felixstowe and at abberton reservoir in colchester where they were about two feet from the car. i havn't got any figures but i think they are quit common in this area as i seem to see them quite regularly

Turnstones are very numerous on the Yorkshire coast, I have had triple figure numbers during the winter at Filey and Scarborough.

Thanks for replys. It was at felixstowe I saw them, I am a frequent visitor to felixstowe and hadn't seen them before, ( or hadn't noticed them)

mrs fish said:
Thanks for replys. It was at felixstowe I saw them, I am a frequent visitor to felixstowe and hadn't seen them before, ( or hadn't noticed them)
Easy bird to overlook when they are scuttling around a rocky beach, they are sometimes very tame and can be hand fed.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back