• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I-Spy books (1 Viewer)

tarves57

It just came to me that a lot of my interest in wild birds/animals and nature in general came about due to the fact my mother used to buy me "I-Spy" books. "I-Spy British Birds" for instance, where you had to write in a date and place against each bird you had seen. I think it may be because this made it a challenge, sort of like a birding list.

Was anyone else an avid collector of I-spy books? Or what was it that initially got you interested in bird watching?

Susan

I know I should not say this, but it was birdnesting with my Grandad.

Hpefully repaid my dues now after many years working in wildlife conservation.

Like you Susan I filled in loads of I-Spy books as a kid and even sent off for the badges ;) I suppose they were a handy thing to keep the kids occupied on journeys as we always seemed to be having trips out to all sorts of places.

I joined the I-Spy Club. Remember Big Chief I-Spy. However it was a Kestrel that got me into birds. I had the Observers Book of Birds (still have a copy). My Dad always used to point out 'Sparrowhawks' hovering at the back of the house. A boy at school told me they were Kestrels. he showed me his book. Collins Pocket Guide to Birds. He showed me a picture of a Glossy Ibis he had seen with his dad in Suffolk. He also showed me a picture of the Kestrel. I saved my pocket money and bought the book. It cost me 25shillings. If you are still out there Paul Collins thankyou!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back