• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three for ID (1 Viewer)

Balego

Taken in eastern Ontario, Canada, the closest I can come to the first one is an "Ipswich sparrow', listed with Savannah in my fieldguide. Is this correct?

The second I think is an eastern wood peewee, and the third (yellow bird) I have no idea, as I cant see what markings it may have on its back/wings. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• sparrow.jpg
    sparrow.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 152
  • wpw.jpg
    wpw.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 125
  • wb.jpg
    wb.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 135
Thanks, Motmot.

I considered eastern phoebe, but the bird seemed smaller than 7 inches, and the wing bars are more pronounced in this one. Also, the description for wood peewee says immature might have an all dark bill, buffy or cinnamon wingbars, which this bird seems to have. The sparrow could very well be an immature, which is possibly why I cant find a true match in my books?
Scarlet tanager makes sense now that I see it in the guide. I didnt trust myself to guess anything from the angle of the photo, but tanager was among my list of possibilities.

1 Id probably say a Juvenile Savannah or Song sparrow.
2 I couldn't say if its an Eastern Phoebe or an Eastern Wood-Pewee
3 Scarlet Tanager

Thankyou all for your replies. I have a question, though, about the eastern phoebe. In my book it says it has no obvious wing bars, and an all black beak. However for the wood peewee it says two narrow whistish wing bars (another book says a juvenile will have buffy or cinnamon wing bars), upper mandible dark, base of the lower mandible dull yellow/orange. I can see some yellow at the base of the lower mandible. Can it be explained to me why this is an eastern phoebe and not an eastern wood peewee, what am I missing? :)

Balego said:
Thankyou all for your replies. I have a question, though, about the eastern phoebe. In my book it says it has no obvious wing bars, and an all black beak. However for the wood peewee it says two narrow whistish wing bars (another book says a juvenile will have buffy or cinnamon wing bars), upper mandible dark, base of the lower mandible dull yellow/orange. I can see some yellow at the base of the lower mandible. Can it be explained to me why this is an eastern phoebe and not an eastern wood peewee, what am I missing? :)

Did you notice whether it was pumping its tail up and down?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back