• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you own both 10x and 8x, in what situations do you use each? (1 Viewer)

HeadWest

As I consider adding a pair of 10x42 to my current single pair of 8x42, I am interested to hear about which birding situations best lend themselves to each magnification. When do you opt for the 10x and vice versa? Thanks.

Hi,

my usual pair is an 8x30/32. The 10x42 only gets used when I know that I will mainly look for far away birds - e.g. over water or raptors...

Joachim

Hi

My situation is very similar to Joachim. In most habitats I find 8x is the most versatile, but when visiting places on the coast with big areas of sea and sky when birds, otters and whales may be very distant, then I will often take a 10x unless there are special reasons for staying with an 8x, for example if a bigger field of view is a better choice and the habitat suggests subjects may be closer.

Lee

Lee

My go to bins are the Nikon 8xx30 E II for most birding and other wildlife observation. The same series 10x35 are used less frequently for eagles, hawks and other far away critters.

I use 8x for closer in and generally all around birding for it's wider FOV, greater DOF and steadier hold and like Lee when I am in more open areas like over water or looking at raptors where the birds are likely to be more distant I use 10x for it's extra reach and additional detail.

Just echoing the same as above: Forest birding or situations where birds will be close - 8x30/32/42. Open country, water birds, raptors, etc - 10x42.

If I'm going birding then usually take 10x44 Steiners.
For just going out, or a walk generally, one of three smaller, lighter, more discreet bins. The 10x32 Leicas fit in my pocket which is useful.

It's just personal preference.
I now keep 9x63 Inpro in the living room to check out bird feeders and the moon, which means they are currently the most used!

I have a 10x50 (Docter Nobilem) and some 7x40 (CZJ EDF) and 7x50 (Steiner Commander) to chose from. The slightly heavy 10x gets carried and is used almost everytime as it's wide, bright picture is very nice and clear and I enjoy the high magnification. Only in very bad weather, on darker days and when hiking within dense forest or when packing deliberately light I use the 7x40. It's surprisingly good and doesn't feel like "only" 7 times magnification.
The bit bulky 7x50, my trusted long time companion, is almost retired as the first two always leave a perfect choice to cover any need.

After many years I upgraded from 7x to 10x and all I can say the higher magnification while it does not sound much makes a very big difference. I like to watch specific things not just landscape overviews and you are seriously closer to anything using tenfold magnification compared to seven. At the same time it's still hand holdable (especially if it is a little heavier bin like mine). The biggest surprise to me was the good low light performance, even at night. I sometimes watch the moon, stars, the ISS and such and it's perfectly fine to be used in the dark.

Last edited:
Indeed, this is a very individual thing.

I have 8 x 42s and 10 x 43s, I actually prefer the 10 x43s as they give me that extra detail of a birds plumage, but when in confined woodland trying to look at fast moving warblers I use my 8 x 42s.

There is no definitive answer as to which are overall best, the answer for me does not depend on which strength optic is best, but which suits your individual eyes best.

I use the 8's for general birding to get that overall FOV comfort in the countryside but 10,s in the garden or close to my house when I know what I'm going to see....Raptors near my house and perching birds in the garden.

It is nice though to get a crisp close up view using 10's.....just came in from the garden seeing a splendid Nuthatch from 6 feet away with 10's....what a view.

I once had both a L UV 10x42 and a CZ VFL 8x42. I was grabbing the 8x42 almost all of the time except when the I needed the extra reach to see waterfowl on the far side of the pond on which I live. Truth be told, I sold the 10x42 as it really didn't give me that much more ability make IDs. When I need more magnification, I reach for my scope. Without a scope, I'd keep the 8x and get a 12x.

Last edited:
I know the Q wasn’t about the difference but here are some real life examples:

Roosting Serendib Scops Owl in deep shade. With 8s you could see the spots. With 10s, you couldn’t.

Lagden’s Bush-Shrike high in a canopy. We all borrowed a mate’s 10s for better views.

Pechora Pipit creeping through a dense patch of overgrown garden on Shetland. Mate with 10s couldn’t get on it, but ok with 8s. (he’d already seen it well by the way)

A warbler in brambles at the edge of a Dorset marsh the other day. Clearly a crest of some sort in 10s, just a warbler type in 8s. Was a Goldcrest actually.

I now use 10x all the time in Britain although I’d happily use 8s. I take both abroad though and often switch to 8x for a day in the forest. I think it’s absolutely ridiculous that there is no top of the range 9x35 or 36 on the market.

Hi,

my usual pair is an 8x30/32. The 10x42 only gets used when I know that I will mainly look for far away birds - e.g. over water or raptors...

Joachim

Hello,

Like Joachim, my usual pair is an 8x32. I used to carry both a 6x32 and a 10x32 on occasion, which cover my needs in woods and open space. I have become lazy and do not care to carry two glasses very often. Neither is up to shore bird watching.

Keep safe,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Excellent examples. Could you explain this one -- what happened with 10x? And what apertures?

Hi T. Both 32mm Swaros. The 8s just let that little bit more light in, and that revealed the spots. Was an intriguing comparison.

Edit: I guess they didn’t really let more light in, just produced a brighter image...

Last edited:
I have a 6.5x32, 8x32, and 10x32 and frankly
do not see that much difference in the three-- other then FOV.
The 8x is my most used for birding,
the 6.5 for more terrestrial and closed in areas,
and the 10x is my backup auto/truck pair.
I got the 10x for more detail with my old eyes,
but was more or less interchangeable with the 8x.

edj

I buck the trend. I used to use mostly 8x. Now I use almost exclusively a Canon IS 10x42. But I rarely carry a scope nowadays, so overall the load is lighter.

7X to 8.5X almost exclusively. Even birding around Las Vegas I used a 8X32 SV exclusively and had the 8.4X42 in the floorboard. One couldn't ask for more open birding than that. Thing is, even in open terrain most birds end up pretty close! I DO use 10X and 12X sometimes around the seashore and in the winter when the leaves are off the trees.

8x or 10x? Depends on my mood. Some days I feel I want to use 8x, and on some days I prefer 10x, even in woodlands. At the moment I tend to use 10x more often.

BTW, I don't get along with 7x that well. It's almost always too little magnification, as far as I'm concerned. Funny, because the difference between 7x and 8x isn't great. Still, I find I usually only use my 7x42s when I'm out in the late evening or at night.

And my choice of binoculars doesn't depend on whether I carry a scope along at all.

Hermann

I've just been sitting on the sofa using my 16x70, reflecting on magnification and that I've found 7x useful in very windy coastal conditions. Ideal for boats I suppose. This lockdown is giving me cabin fever.
Problem with the 16x when sitting at home is not shake, but distance; my garden bird feeders are too close
|:D|

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back