• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds beginning with ... (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

When I can't sleep at night, I don't count sheep.
What I do to try and get me to nod off is go through the alphabet trying to come up with birds who's names begin with each letter of the alphabet. For example, starting with the letter "A", I have Avocet.
I have managed all the letters actually with one exception.
Please can anyone advise as to whether or not there are any birds that have names (In the English) that start with the letter "X"
I cannot think of any....

Have played this game whilst driving long journeys recently (and no children, small or otherwise in the car) Along with fruit, mammals, cars etc. Can go through a couple times before start getting too tricksy and move onto next category.

Have you tried memorising latin binomial bird names in order to get to sleep? ... ;)

Last edited:
In preparation for (yet another) Dictionary I have the following Xs (current or formerly used as English names); Xanthoploceus, Xanthorn, Xanthotis, Xema, Xenicopsoides, Xenoctistes, Xenops, Xenopsaris.

Nutcracker's "Xantu's Murrelet" should, of course, be: Xantus's (or Xantus') murrelet Brachyramphus/Endomychura/Synthliboramphus hypoleucus [nowaday's split into two species; Scripps's murrelet Synthliboramphus scrippsi Green & Arnold, 1939 resp. Guadalupe murrelet Synthliboramphus hypoleucus (Xántus de Vesey, 1860)].

And, on top of this; in my MS (of Swedish Common names) I have the following (that apparently also works in English):
• Xantus's Hummingbird (Hylocharis) Basilinna xantusii (Lawrence, 1861)
• Xavier's Greenbul Phyllastrephus xavieri (Oustalet, 1892)
• (Plain) Xenops Xenops minutus (Sparrman, 1788)
• (White-naped) Xenopsaris Xenopsaris albinucha (Burmeister, 1869)
• Xingu Scale-backed Antbird Willisornis vidua (Hellmayr, 1905)

Sleep tight!

Have played this game whilst driving long journeys recently (and no children, small or otherwise in the car) Along with fruit, mammals, cars etc. Can go through a couple times before start getting too tricksy and move onto next category.

Have you tried memorising latin binomial bird names in order to get to sleep? ... ;)

Try looking at car number plates to come up with bird names on long journeys e.g YNA could be Yellow-nosed Albatross.

There's an orange van ending BHG that we drive past every morning taking the OH to the station ... ;)

Ground to a halt at six

Kittiwake, Knot, Kingfisher, Kingbird, Kagu, Kinglet...

Currently resisting the temptation to cheat! I'm sure I'll be kicking myself as others chip in.

EDIT - Kakapo, Kea, Kaka, Kokako - suddenly remembered New Zealand

Last edited:
Ground to a halt at six

Currently resisting the temptation to cheat! I'm sure I'll be kicking myself as others chip in.

Kerguelen Petrel, King Penguin, Kelp Goose, King Eider, Trocaz Pigeon, Knysna Turaco, Knysna Woodpecker, Klaas's Cuckoo, King Vulture, Koepke's Screech owl.......

Last edited:
Kerguelen Petrel, King Penguin, Kelp Goose, King Eider, Trocaz Pigeon, Knysna Turaco, Knysna Woodpecker, Klaas's Cuckoo, King Vulture, Koepke's Screech owl.......

?!? ;)

Ooops! The above post should have quoted this, not the bit about car license plates!

There's an orange van ending BHG that we drive past every morning taking the OH to the station ...

Thought that was a bit bizarre lol! Always nice to be quoted though, even if a bit meaningless. Ta!

BHG is Black-headed Gull of course. OH is 'other half', although haven't really come up with a birding one. Ondulasian Hemipode?

Last edited:
Ground to a halt at six

I'm assuming "how many genera ..." means scientific genus names, not English names ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back