• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Wood-Peewee(?) - Central Ohio, U.S. (1 Viewer)

prweasel

I shot this bird sitting at the top of a small tree this morning in a field in a park just north of Columbus, Ohio. Some other shots I have of it singing show that the lower beak and the inside of the upper beak are an orangish-yellow. The underside is kind of a grayish-white.

There have been several instances in the past when I thought an image was an Eastern Wood-Peewee, but someone corrects the identification to a type of Flycatcher - either Acadian, Willow or Alder.

Is this one a Wood-Peewee?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

pat

Attachments

• 070527SharWd089.jpg
    070527SharWd089.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 137
I shot this bird sitting at the top of a small tree this morning in a field in a park just north of Columbus, Ohio. Some other shots I have of it singing show that the lower beak and the inside of the upper beak are an orangish-yellow. The underside is kind of a grayish-white.

There have been several instances in the past when I thought an image was an Eastern Wood-Peewee, but someone corrects the identification to a type of Flycatcher - either Acadian, Willow or Alder.

Is this one a Wood-Peewee?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

pat

Hi Pat,

First of all, that is a terrific shot!

This one too is an Empidonax, and it is either a Willow or an Alder. The bird's structure and pattern of the wing bars rule out a wood-pewee, though Willow and Alder are the two Empidonax most routinely confused with wood-pewees.

Was it singing FITZ-bew (Willow) or f'BEE-oo (Alder)? In the links I've provided, scroll down to their sound link and have a listen:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Willow_Flycatcher_dtl.html#sound
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Alder_Flycatcher_dtl.html#sound

Both of these species give raspy, buzzy sounding songs, whereas the Eastern Wood-Pewee gives a high-pitched whistled song that is easily mimicked. You would probably remember if the bird had a loud, whistled tune.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Eastern_Wood-Pewee.html#sound

I guess if it were actually on territory there, that would favor a Willow Flycatcher, and visually, there is nothing wrong with its being a Willow.

Chris

Last edited:
Chris:

Thanks. At least I'm consistent with my misidentification. And thanks for the compliment on the photo.

When I was close enough to hear it over the other birds (lots of sparrows and red-winged blackbirds around) it was primarily making a one-syllable sound with its head tilted back.

I'll go ahead and call it a Willow Flycatcher when I post it to my online gallery in the next couple of days.

pat

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back