• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (5 Viewers)

Magpies have taken apart last years nest (all barring the base of it) and rebuilt it in the next tree. However the Bullfinch pair have been prospecting what is left of the original nest and have started to add nesting materials..... watch this space.

Much like everyone else the Fieldfare have been prevalent with one individual taking on the mantel of guarding the apples.

Siskins in low numbers and only a single Redpoll in the last few weeks.

Song thrush singing from the garden every morning much to my partners dismay..... Tawny Owl calling at night not too far away (didn't have the inclination to go looking for it in the stormy weather, may do now).

Good numbers of the regulars

It's a long time since I've posted here. In August 2016 we left our exurban home near Houston, Texas and moved to Barcelona.
Unfortunately, we now see many fewer birds at home. Our old house had two gardens, was surrounded by other large gardens and often attracted 20+ species in a day. Our flat in Spain is in a very urban setting and has no garden but only a 6' X 10' balcony. Luckily the balcony overlooks a small garden with a vegetable plot and a couple of small trees and so we do get a few visitors to our feeders. We also get occasional flyovers.
At present the only regular visitors to our feeders are Collared Doves, Blackbirds, a Robin and Black Redstarts. Other birds I see frequently from our balcony are Magpies, Starlings, Monk Parakeets, Serins, Sardinian Warblers (photo) and Yellow-legged Gulls.

Attachments

• DSC_0027.jpg
    DSC_0027.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 24
First Goldfinches in a while we're back in the garden today. Also, last week we had a pair of Common Buzzards over the back garden and a couple of Ravens.

Rich

Hi Pam, good to see you back

Bit of a late reply but thanks!!

It's a long time since I've posted here. In August 2016 we left our exurban home near Houston, Texas and moved to Barcelona.
Unfortunately, we now see many fewer birds at home. Our old house had two gardens, was surrounded by other large gardens and often attracted 20+ species in a day. Our flat in Spain is in a very urban setting and has no garden but only a 6' X 10' balcony. Luckily the balcony overlooks a small garden with a vegetable plot and a couple of small trees and so we do get a few visitors to our feeders. We also get occasional flyovers.
At present the only regular visitors to our feeders are Collared Doves, Blackbirds, a Robin and Black Redstarts. Other birds I see frequently from our balcony are Magpies, Starlings, Monk Parakeets, Serins, Sardinian Warblers (photo) and Yellow-legged Gulls.

I was just thinking about you the other day, I still have your US blog link on my list. I miss your blog posts! Bar the Redstarts it sounds like my regular feeder visitors!

My garden has been non stop recently and even had rare visits from a Siskin and also Fieldfare.

Today we had 12 Goldfinch, Collared Doves, Woodpigeon, Starlings, House Sparrows, Blue, Great, Coal and Long-tailed Tits, Robin, Dunnock, Blackbird and a Mistle Thrush

Here in Central Florida my feeders are busy although I don't have a wide variety of species.
These species visit multiple times everyday and have done so since Nov.
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Chickadee
Northern Cardinal
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Mourning Doves
More recently or occasionally I get:
Chipping Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
American Goldfinch
Carolina Wren
Blue Jay
and at my birdbath I get:
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Gray Catbird
Eastern Phoebe

Well so much for my feeders. I've taken them down, at least for today. Two reasons; there are extreme weather warnings for this afternoon - damaging winds and isolated tornadoes. The second reason is because I just heard that last night a bear broke through the fence across the road (about 60m from my feeders). The National Forest Service regularly issue warnings around here that feeders can attract bears. I'm not worried about the bears but some of my neighbours are, so in fairness to them, the feeders are now down. I may try putting them up during the day and down at night.

Well so much for my feeders. I've taken them down, at least for today. Two reasons; there are extreme weather warnings for this afternoon - damaging winds and isolated tornadoes. The second reason is because I just heard that last night a bear broke through the fence across the road

i can see that bears would be a problem with pets and children ... they would probably chew up the feeders too? what a photo though ...

They do chew up feeders although the kind that I use now are flexible enough that they don't suffer serious damage. I hang them on a shepherd's crook style metal pole and 3 years ago I had a pole bent to 90 degrees even though it was still rooted in the ground.

Hi Jeff
Makes you appreciate the mundane birds abit more I guess, however Sardinian Warbler aint too shabby. Got a lot of Monk Parakeets last week while in Madrid. Good to see you posting again

Here in Central Florida my feeders are busy although I don't have a wide variety of species.
These species visit multiple times everyday and have done so since Nov.
Tufted Titmouse
Carolina Chickadee
Northern Cardinal
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Mourning Doves
More recently or occasionally I get:
Chipping Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
American Goldfinch
Carolina Wren
Blue Jay
and at my birdbath I get:
Northern Parula
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Gray Catbird
Eastern Phoebe

Good to see some other bird species on this thread. Any garden with a Cardinal sounds great. Off to Maine \ New Hampshire in July, looking forward to some North American species :t:

Hooded orioles have migrated back! They're frequent visitors to my parents' place (about 50 miles away), but this is the first time they've visited my patio. Feel pretty honored since so many of my neighbors have hummingbird feeders but they've been frequenting mine—a lot—the last couple of weeks. First the males, then the females came this Saturday.

Bought a new kangaroo paws plant last night thinking to attract new hummers, but first thing in the morning it's the male hooded oriole who has first dibs! It was like watching Goldilocks as he shimmied back and forth on the shepherd's hook sampling each "paw." Thanks to the ol' bird cam, orioles drink from plants too (makes sense if I think about it, but have never seen it until today).

Attachments

• 20180326085824.jpg
    20180326085824.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 93
Spring is here

After a (comparatively) cold, long winter, spring has arrived. Our Redstarts and Robin have left but have been replaced by Alpine Swifts. Only a few Alpine Swifts at present and flying very high. Soon their numbers will grow and they will be joined by hundreds of Swifts.

Attachments

• DSC_0022-001.JPG
    DSC_0022-001.JPG
    286.7 KB · Views: 42
After a (comparatively) cold, long winter, spring has arrived. Our Redstarts and Robin have left but have been replaced by Alpine Swifts. Only a few Alpine Swifts at present and flying very high. Soon their numbers will grow and they will be joined by hundreds of Swifts.

excellent :t:

The Blackcap is back, singing away next to the house. Also got 5 or 6 Siskin visiting at the moment. Unfortunately some furry friends are back so I'll have to sort that out. :-C

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back