• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa BDII-XD - september 2019 (1 Viewer)

6.5X32 is OK, just not enough mag, I am more interested in the 8X32 myself.

Andy W.
I had a hard time trying to decide which one to try either the 6.5x32 or the 8x32. The 8x32 has more AFOV so it will probably be more impressive but I already have the SV 8x32 and I don't think there is anyway the Kowa 8x32 is going to be better than the SV. The SV is 5 times as expensive. So I figured I would try the 6.5x32 because it would be a different format and it does have 65 degrees AFOV so we will see. Your probably right in that it doesn't have enough magnification. I think the 8x32 will be the roof version of the Nikon 8x30 EII. Returns are easy.

Last edited:
I hope it's the comprehensive DVD case across the loungeroom resolution test, rounded out by viewing the goat across a mountainside ! :eek!: :cat: 3:) o:D

Chosun :gh:
I said "Small Review". I reserve the totally unbiased high-end objective sophisticated scientific methodology for my "Big Reviews.":king:

Last edited:
What are the prices for the 8X32, 8X42 and 10X42. Remember the adage, you really do get what you pay for, so be aware, and don't be disappointed if the performance/craftsmanship is not what was expected.

Andy W.

Kowa USA rep Paul Kardos says retail will be $399 for 32mm and $449 for 42 mm. Release date of 10/1

Already seeing these prices on sites with pre-orders. He also told me the tariffs are taking a big bite out of profits so prices could go up.

I hope it's the comprehensive DVD case across the loungeroom resolution test, rounded out by viewing the goat across a mountainside !
You're just envious of our mountain goats. They're amazing, not just how they get around steep slopes, but curious enough for the whole family to come right up and check you out. Which is an odd situation since those little horns look pretty sharp... and also because they get hunted. (Actually that's what they were brought here for, from the Pacific Northwest.)

I have to straighten something out here. What I use for my famous binocular glare test is Bighorn Sheep not Mountain Goats. They are two different animals. I have seen them both. I saw the Mountain Goats in the northeast entrance to Yellowstone National Park. The Bighorn Sheep are in our Rocky Mountain National Park but we do have Mountain Goats in the state also. They are different but both are incredible rock climbers. I hope that doesn't get your goat Chosun.

On the left is the Mountain Goat and on the right is the Bighorn Sheep.

Attachments

• Mountain_Goat,_Enchantments_Basin.jpg
    Mountain_Goat,_Enchantments_Basin.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 76
  • species-bighornsheep2.jpg
    species-bighornsheep2.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
I have to straighten something out here. What I use for my famous binocular glare test is Bighorn Sheep not Mountain Goats. They are two different animals. I have seen them both. I saw the Mountain Goats in the northeast entrance to Yellowstone National Park. The Bighorn Sheep are in our Rocky Mountain National Park but we do have Mountain Goats in the state also. They are different but both are incredible rock climbers. I hope that doesn't get your goat Chosun.

If I remember what you previously said correctly, then you used the Bighorn Sheep for the famous glare test, whereas the Mountain Goats were what you used for testing CA. Seeing the pictures of the two that makes sense :t:

PS. you don't have to worry about getting my goat - a Wedge-tailed Eagle already did that ! :eek!: o:) :eat:

Chosun :gh:

Minimum IPD is right in the danger zone for me. Kowa lists both sizes at 57mm. I need 56mm to be confident though 57mm might work except for close up.

Binoculars USA was offering a 5% discount on pre orders but I think it ran out last night. They’re just starting up so I imagine a phone call would get you that discount.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back