• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What if...... (2 Viewers)

Oskar Barnack did not invent or create the 24x36mm frame size, nor the first camera to use it.

The American Simplex still camera was in production in 1914 and used the 24x36mm frame size using 35mm film.

B.

Well, when you pay 2-3K euros for a single binocular, this hinge becomes immediately a fact of the General Staff!
While if you pay less than 500 euros, you can do it yourself ... ;)

Oskar Barnack created the machine and the format Leica 24x36 ... 35mm is only the format film for cinema, in 24x18 frames.

Rico,

In this case you couldn't DIY.
The hinges weren't loose like one should imagine.
When you took both tubes in both hands there was a free play/friction in the hinge. The hinge itself, holding the tubes at its place, was stiff. There was only free play in the hinge. Not so bad that you could look straight forward with one tube and around the corner with the other one.......

Jan

I own glass from the big three. At the premium level SF, EL, UV. etc. it comes down to ergonomic preference. I have the Noctivid and as David (Typo) pointed out in another post one can adjust to the ergos. After more use with the glass, I have found it a pleasurable glass to use, quite pleasant actually. so to say..

„the Leica offerings are not competitive with Swarovski Zeiss or Nikon, possibly even Meopta“ is purely subjective.
I know what I like, who cares what Tom Dick or Harry think.

Andy W.

I own glass from the big three. At the premium level SF, EL, UV. etc. it comes down to ergonomic preference. I have the Noctivid and as David (Typo) pointed out in another post one can adjust to the ergos. After more use with the glass, I have found it a pleasurable glass to use, quite pleasant actually. so to say..

„the Leica offerings are not competitive with Swarovski Zeiss or Nikon, possibly even Meopta“ is purely subjective.
I know what I like, who cares what Tom Dick or Harry think.

Andy W.

:t::t::t:

To expand on Binastro's point in post #121, as to the 24x36 mm film format not originating with Oskar Barnack,
earlier today I posted the following:

. . .
Of course it’s unknowable who first thought of using 35 mm motion picture stock in this manner, and then took an image using either a modified or prototype camera
And while we do know that Barnack built his first 24x36 mm prototype in around 1913 - commercial production did not commence until 1925 with the Leica I Model A

In contrast, as early as 1913 or 1914, Simplex of New York marketed a camera taking 24x36 images on 35 mm stock
And another early commercial offering was the Furet by E. Guerin & Cie of Paris which dates from around 1923
(e.g. see pages 210 to 214 of the book Camera by Todd Gustavson, Sterling Innovation New York 2009)

One of Barnack’s great accomplishments was to popularise the format

John

Last edited:
The hinges weren't loose like one should imagine.
When you took both tubes in both hands there was a free play/friction in the hinge. The hinge itself, holding the tubes at its place, was stiff. There was only free play in the hinge. Not so bad that you could look straight forward with one tube and around the corner with the other one.......
Maybe now I understand the flaw. Not the hinge hinges, but the hinge supports on the pipes were loose.
If so, I agree that professional technical intervention was needed.

Hi Mike, where are the official documents? (post link if you can)
I quickly found that our friend Gijs van Ginkel is talking about the Trinovids here
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3454074&postcount=3

... but then he is sure only of the Conquest Zeiss (of which I already knew)
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3454333&postcount=8

You mean from Leica? In which they say that one of their products is actually manufactured in Japan and only assembled in Portugal or Germany?
Yes! Do not they exist at Leica?
Seems to me, Zeiss admit it! Gijs also confirms this.

Last edited:
Yes! Do not they exist at Leica?
Seems to me, Zeiss admit it! Gijs also confirms this.

Hi Rico,

The subject of where binoculars (and many other consumer products) are manufactured, and what companies have to do in order to claim that a product has been ‘Made in .....’ has been the subject of much discussion on this forum in the recent past. With regard to the Trinovid HD it seems to me that if it is mechanically and optically similar or the same as other bins made in Japan for other companies, then it is more likely than not that Leica has done the same. Leica only need assemble or reassemble something manufactured elsewhere in order to state that it has been ‘Made in’ Portugal or Germany. This is common practice for manufacturers of all manner of products. Some are more transparent about the actual country of manufacture than others.

I have the 2012-15 Trinovid and have compared it directly with the HD. They are physically and mechanically quite different, as is the view. The older Trinovid is however extremely similar to the Ultravid, both in design and quality of view. Given those facts and the reduction in price that Leica achieved with the HD it seems more than reasonable to suppose that the HD is actually manufactured in Japan, especially when it bears such striking resemblances to other bins known to be manufactured there.
Please note that I am NOT saying that the HD is an inferior product, or that Leica is doing anything wrong. However, this is not the subject of this thread! If you have any further questions about this I suggest that you post them in the appropriate threads or send PM’s to people who have more first hand experience.

Best wishes, Michael.

I have a Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline. It says right on it that it is made in Portugal. It is a very good binocular. It was introduced by Leica in 2003. It is a strikingly handsome binocular in an understated way and if you were wearing a Tuxedo at a fancy outdoor party it would fit right in as an appropriate accessory!:king:

Bob

Last edited:
That you were not impressed with the Noctivid and prefer the Victory 8x25 over the UVHD 8x32 is absolutely understandable.

But let me remind you of what you wrote that caught my attention:

„the Leica offerings are not competitive with Swarovski Zeiss or Nikon, possibly even Meopta“

I still find that a very interesting statement ....

Well, let's turn that around. What Leica alpha class binocular do you consider competitive with the Swarovski EL SV or Zeiss SF? Or is it my throwaway mention of Meopta that irks you? I'll admit my experience with them is mostly with their spotting scopes, not their binoculars.

The older Trinovid is however extremely similar to the Ultravid, both in design and quality of view.
Questo l'ho visto anch'io. Molto buoni i "vecchi" Trinovid.
The affirmation of "Made in Japan" remains a little strange, without declarations, more official than a sensation. Which I understand and which I can also believe easily. I am trusting your (and others) impression of comparison between Trinovid and TvHD.

I have a Leica 8x42 Ultravid Blackline. It says right on it that it is made in Portugal. It is a very good binocular. It was introduced by Leica in 2003. It is a strikingly handsome binocular in an understated way and if you were wearing a Tuxedo at a fancy outdoor party it would fit right in as an appropriate accessory!:king:

Yes, it looks great, even better IMO than the Retrovids or the original Uppendahl Trinovids they are inspired from. It is also more compact than the other alpha 8x42. The strap design is outstanding, no untidy loose ends hanging, and the hard leather case is very classy (but apparently has been replaced by the mediocre cordura pouch of the BR models in newer versions).

Mine from 2008 says "Made in Germany" on the hinge cap, however. It also has the old US Passport lifetime warranty. Just one of many reasons why I am keeping it.

A small update.
The Retrovid is currently under examination and will be fully stripped to see what type of ocular, prism housing, objective lens, focus lens and system is used and to measure the exact exit pupil to check if it is a 7x35.
This will tell us whether the used components are also found in Far East origin bins and/or in what price class they belong. 1.450,00 euro is still a lot of money for a bin which has no extra costs like margins for the country importer and the dealer.

Jan

Last edited:
Well, let's turn that around. What Leica alpha class binocular do you consider competitive with the Swarovski EL SV or Zeiss SF? Or is it my throwaway mention of Meopta that irks you? I'll admit my experience with them is mostly with their spotting scopes, not their binoculars.

Well, if you want to „turn that around“, let me do the same.
What current Swarovski EL SV or Zeiss SF binocular of size 7x42 or 8x50 do you consider competitive with the Leica UV HD+ 7x42 or 8x50?

Last edited:
Well, let's turn that around. What Leica alpha class binocular do you consider competitive with the Swarovski EL SV or Zeiss SF?

Fazalmajid, I respect your preferences, but surely they are just that. I’ve compared the NV to the SV, and to me the SV has a slightly green tinted, lifeless, flat image, with nausea inducing rolling ball effect whenever I’m panning. It’s also bigger. How is that competitive with a smaller binocular that has a gorgeously rich, natural, and involving view which doesn’t make me feel sick whenever I move it?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back