• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IOC World Bird List v10.1 (1 Viewer)

Glad to finally see the back of Deignan's Babbler and Hoogerwerf's Pheasant!

And two more armchair owls... nice.

Glad to finally see the back of Deignan's Babbler and Hoogerwerf's Pheasant!

And two more armchair owls... nice.

I've done very badly out of this compared to last time! Just 2 armchairs for me (out of 14 additions and 2 lumps) so quite a drop in % 8-P

Thanks! That's what I feared that it'd be spread over several pages to look through as it has been in the past.

A quick look at the IOC website shows that 10.1 has been published this evening. One of the Excel spreadsheets has the updates in red!. Hope this is more helpful that having to trawl through three files?!

MS

Six for me, but I'm still trying to recover from the Great African White-eye Massacre of 9.1!

How big does your world list have to be to get six species from this kind of upgrade? I have never even heard of most of the species ....

For me this brings one funny armchair tick: I have seen plenty of Eastern black-eared wheatears in Israel and around, but actually only one Western ever, which also happens to be the only black-eared wheatear ever seen in the Czech Republic. I wasn't the finder, but I have the honor to be basically the first to definitively prove the ID.

A quick look at the IOC website shows that 10.1 has been published this evening. One of the Excel spreadsheets has the updates in red!. Hope this is more helpful that having to trawl through three files?!

MS
Thanks! 3 world armchair ticks (Hudsonian Whimbrel in California, Maghreb Owl in Morocco, Eastern Black-eared Wheatear in Bulgaria & Turkey) it is for me, nothing else I'd missed.

Next up I hope, split Common and Mew Gulls, long overdue; and Common & Red Crossbills (Old World Loxia curvirostra, New World L. minor).

Three armchair ticks for me: Hudsonian Whimbrel (USA), West African Crested Tern (Senegal), and Eastern Black-eared Wheatear (Djibouti).

Dave

Last edited:
How big does your world list have to be to get six species from this kind of upgrade? I have never even heard of most of the species ....

For me this brings one funny armchair tick: I have seen plenty of Eastern black-eared wheatears in Israel and around, but actually only one Western ever, which also happens to be the only black-eared wheatear ever seen in the Czech Republic. I wasn't the finder, but I have the honor to be basically the first to definitively prove the ID.

Having been through the Prinia splits, I find I'm actually up 8 :t: This update was pretty generous for me, as it wasn't very Neotropics-heavy.

Is there a biogeographical explanation for the weird distribution of Deignan’s Prinia, Java+Thailand-ish and nothing in between?

Just speculation, but when the Greater Sundas were joined to mainland SE Asia, there was a band of dry forest running down to what is now Java, which presumably explains some of the odd distributions of species that are found in Indochina and Java but not Sumatra or the Malay peninsula.

Just the obvious whimbrel, wheatear and tern for me. Can't find any record of Tawny Owl from my Morocco trips unfortunately - another reason to go back there along with Atlas Flycatcher and 'Andalucian Hemipode'.

Steve

Just realised I got 7 armchair ticks this time, I had not followed up Swinhoe's, Himalayan and Deignan's Prinias, plus Eastern Black-eared Wheatear, Maghreb Wood Owl, Cryptic Honeyeater and Hudsonian Whimbrel.
Now for Island Thrush, Common/Mew, Short-billed and Kamchatka Gulls...... and many more

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back