• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zimbabwe, Zambia, & Malawi (1 Viewer)

Rgallardy

Hi all,

Well, i'm in the midsts of planning a 8-9 month trip to Africa and definitely am in need of some help and advice! I've pretty much sorted out a general itinerary, but there are some large gaps for some countries when it comes to independent trip reports. I'm going to break these out by country so that it's more searchable in the future. At the moment I'm looking for general advice and of course GPS coordinates if anyone out there has them. I'm also going to be in the need for lot of audio so if anyone has some solid sets and would like to share, I'd be willing to take them. Of course I am audio for about half the world to trade if needed. ;-)

As expected this trip is dubbed "No endemic left behind" with the goal of trying to clean up as much as possible. The plan is the buy a 4x4 Toyota Hillux in South Africa in January and then proceed on an intineary that heads north along the eastern part of Africa before looping back around and doing Nambia/Angola (with plane trips for Ghana, Gabon, Sao Tome).

I'm assuming the Southern African Birdfinder guide will be very useful for all three of these countries.

Zimbabwe:
-Mostly just planning on following the birdfinder guide.
-It appears the eastern highlands (Honde Valley & Bvumba Highlands) should get me what I need
-Monavale Vleis: Any suggestions or trips on finding the flufftail and striped crake here?
-African Pitta: I'm going to be on the tail end (early Jan) so thinking this will be a game time decision on where to visit based on who still has one on a nest (hopefully)
-GPS points?

Zambia:
-In Jan planning on going to Mutinondo Wilderness. Anyone have any luck with the flufftail there? Tips?
-Will go for the other two endemics on the way back through in June
-Has anyone been to Bangweulu Swamps? What's the easiest (quickest) way to get Katanga Masked Weaver?
-Anyone been to the NW part of the country? Thinking about ways to get Dambo Cisticola and Bamboo Warbler.
-What else am I missing that I need to get in Zambia?
-GPS points?

Malawi
-Like the other two, not much out there on independent reports, anyone have GPS points?
-Planning on following a pretty standard itinerary and haven't researched too much for here yet so open to suggestions
-Places for Vincent's Bunting?

Ok, so a bit vague, I'll be the first to admit, but hoping those out there with more African experience can help to start guide the direction! Thanks.

Ross

Ross, there is a Zim section on here. There’s not much in it so you could read it all in an hour I reckon, including linked material. Is worth reading though.

Andy

Last edited:
Hi Ross, Dzalanyame was good for Vincent's Bunting during Zim/Malawi trip in 2013. Camped overnight--never did find the lodge place. Have a few notes if you're interested, no GPS points tho. Cheers, Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back