• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Northfork comments anyone? (1 Viewer)

PhilR.

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me about the Leupold Northfork (possible North Fork)? I don't see it on their website, but this model is on sale at CDNN. This is the model with a small single-hinge design, much like a Krueger Caldera. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

PhilR.

Phil,

This is a model for which I've also attempted to scrounge information and have found very little. I've noticed that with Leupold, things such as lens coating and type of glass utilized are left relatively ambiguous on their own product descriptions. From what I've been able to gather, they feature Fully Multi-coated lenses and have "super highly reflective" prism coatings, which I believe were also found on the Leupold Gold Ring binoculars.
I will also say that all Leupold models I've owned have been a fantastic value given their price.

Happy birding,
Justin

I can't be a lot of help, but I have had the Northfork to my eyes several times. They have the long barrels created by the high single hinge, so would be useful if a person has large hands.

Their optics always seemed pretty good, but they have a sort of pedestrian fov, it's less than 7* if memory serves ;). That is certainly not bad, but I suppose it depends on your personal tastes there.

Other than to say I thought they were pretty decent, I don't remember much specific. The color rendition seemed neutral, they had pretty good color saturation, maybe a bit of a warm color bias, and pretty decent contrast.

The one conversation I remember with somebody at Leupold seemed to indicate people had the notion that the hinge design was weak. Tell that to a Leupold or Kruger engineer and you will have an argument.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back