• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Quick update from yesterday... in addition to the noteworthy birds Gladys mentions and those there Friday, a black-tailed godwit appeared briefly at the northern-most pool. Also 4 great-crested grebes... as I'm new to the site I'm assuming they're regular here?

Quick visit.

Just back from a quick trip to Grimley and saw the following.
1 Great White Egret
3 Little Egret's
2 Common Tern's
1 Gadwall
4 GC Grebe's
Coot
Mallard
Mute Swan
BH Gull
Moorhen
Tufted Duck
:t:

Enjoyed a good visit to Grimley today, managed to have super views of the Great White Egret both in flight and feeding with 7 Grey Heron and 2 Little Egret. At one point the GWE landed in the top of a tree and looked most ungainly! Also seen late morning were 2 Hobbies hunting over the pools, at one point one was being mobbed by a Crow which soon gave up! Other notable sightings included Common Tern, GC Grebe, Little Grebe (+ 1 chick), F Tufted Duck (+ 3 chicks), Cormorant, 21 Mute Swan, Green Woodpecker, Sand Martin, Swallow, a Chiffchaff was heard and 4 x Buzzards were circling on the thermals. Damselfly (sp), Hawker (Sp) and Common Darter were also seen. Managed a record pic of all 3 Heron species together, not the best but a nice record!

Attachments

• P1080692.JPG
    P1080692.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 126
  • P1080709.JPG
    P1080709.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 121
Little Grebe fest

Another trip to Grimley this morning... if it's going to be my local patch then I might as well get to know it! Found myself counting little grebes - not the easiest birds to count as they have this habit of diving from view ;) - on one sweep though I counted 7 adults and 3 juveniles, rather more than I was expecting.

Tried to cross the causeway at the south end but chickened out when I could no longer see the mud below the water... :-C Any ideas about whether the water levels are likely to remain this high?

Emma, nice GWE pic - better than mine any way!

Another trip to Grimley this morning... if it's going to be my local patch then I might as well get to know it! Found myself counting little grebes - not the easiest birds to count as they have this habit of diving from view ;) - on one sweep though I counted 7 adults and 3 juveniles, rather more than I was expecting.

Tried to cross the causeway at the south end but chickened out when I could no longer see the mud below the water... :-C Any ideas about whether the water levels are likely to remain this high?

Emma, nice GWE pic - better than mine any way!

Thank you for your kind comment Richard, I think it is pot luck as to how close the bird is to where you are actually standing! Your 3 in one frame is a super pic...and you can see the Little Egret clearly in yours! You are really lucky to have Grimley as your local patch, I will look forward to reading about your sightings etc! Enjoy Grimley!

Thank you for your kind comment Richard, I think it is pot luck as to how close the bird is to where you are actually standing! Your 3 in one frame is a super pic...and you can see the Little Egret clearly in yours! You are really lucky to have Grimley as your local patch, I will look forward to reading about your sightings etc! Enjoy Grimley!

couldnt agree more. this place has been exceptional this year and has knocked spots off all other sites locally. and autumn is only just beginning.

couldnt agree more. this place has been exceptional this year and has knocked spots off all other sites locally. and autumn is only just beginning.

Thanks Emma and GoldenI, I'm looking forward to the autumn season - hopefully the sightings this year should encourage quite a few people in the area to keep an eye on it, in addition to those who already do. I have heard that Grimley is 'grossly underwatched' so hopefully that'll change.

The Great White Egret was showing well this afternoon, it was good to see the size difference as it stood by both Grey Heron and Little Egret. There were 3 Little Egret but I was disappointed no waders were seen.
Geoff

Terry H has confirmed its continued presence this morning with a couple of Little Egrets and a Black-tailed Godwit.

Jus back from a check of the Grimley area, and can confirm that the GREAT-WHITE EGRET was still present today, along with 3 Little Egret. At one point, i had all 4 egrets in the scope together.
It was also very good for raptors, a 1st summer HOBBY (tinged brown tail and wing feathers) gave awsome views throguh the scope at the edge of the wood on the west side.
A juvenile PEREGRINE similarly gave awsome flight views as it hunted the north end, chasing BHG's and eventualy, a Black-tailed godwit, whcih it got very close to, however the Godwit flew off north, following another Blackwit, which had flew north a few minuites earlier after being flushed by a dog walker with their dog off a lead :C.
The very same dog walker flushed the Great Egret. 2 Shelduck were an unusual sight at this time of year and 2 Common Tern flew in briefly.

We then checked Waggon Wheel lane pits and flood, where there was nothing, but while walking down Waggon Wheel lane, i saw the Great Egret flush of the riverbank a couple of fields up, and this then flew back to Camp Pits.
The small marshy pool on the riverbank here looked amazing for a Crake! 3 Gadwall were on this small pool and a Green Sandpiper was on the river.
Moving back to Camp pits, a Common Sandpiper was heard and the Great Egret was again present, on the flooded middle section.

DSCN5010.JPG DSCN5032.jpg DSCN5058.jpg DSCN5081.JPG

MB

Last edited:
Lovely morning at Grimley Camp Lane Pools. Two snipe at the north end were the main highlight, along with the black-tailed godwit still, five lapwings and the two shelduck. A number of gadwall (8-10) were concentrated at the northern end. No sign of the GWE to 9:30.

Did a sweep for little grebe juveniles a couple of days ago and found 8. Seems like a very healthy species here!

Great meeting Mike Bourne at Grimley this morning. A couple of shovelers have arrived recently; the godwit is still there as are the snipe, the lapwings, the single wigeon and the two shelducks. Other than that, very much as before (and no GWE!).

Having spent 8 hours at Grimley today, I recorded a total of 76 species.

The best birds included Tree Pipit, Spotted Flycatcher, Yellow Wagtail, 3 Little Egrets, Black-tailed Godwit and 2 late Swifts.

Had it been a proper all-dayer with more than just me doing it, then 85 would have been easily achievable as resident species including Chaffinch, Song Thrush, Treecreeper, Coal Tit, Pheasant, Barn, Little and Tawny Owls went undetected. With more eyes and ears I'm fairly sure Willow Warbler, Redstart, Wheatear, Curlew and Peregrine would have been recorded too and that's before any real surprises so 90 could have been a realistic figure for the day.

Brian

The best birds included Tree Pipit, Spotted Flycatcher, Yellow Wagtail, 3 Little Egrets, Black-tailed Godwit and 2 late Swifts.

Had it been a proper all-dayer with more than just me doing it, then 85 would have been easily achievable as resident species including Chaffinch, Song Thrush, Treecreeper, Coal Tit, Pheasant, Barn, Little and Tawny Owls went undetected. With more eyes and ears I'm fairly sure Willow Warbler, Redstart, Wheatear, Curlew and Peregrine would have been recorded too and that's before any real surprises so 90 could have been a realistic figure for the day.

Brian

Nice one Brian - just shows what can be unearthed if you grill a local patch. Dont think we will let you play with Upton, Belvide, Marsh Lane and Middleton next year on the All-Dayers if these are the sort of numbers you're producing!! 8-P

Brian

Top effort Brian, and the numbers do not surprise me, it's a great area to Bird.:t:

My first visit since 29th August and I was surprised to find that the Great White Egret was still at the southern end of Camp Lane Pool, also there were 4 Little Egret, 2 Shelduck, 1 Wigeon, 1 Jack Snipe, 5 Snipe and a Raven. At the Camp Inn a Nuthatch was seen.
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back