• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (3 Viewers)

Hi Geoff,

The GWE returned to Grimley yesterday evening. This was the first time it had been seen since Sept 2nd. Where it had been in the intervening period is a mystery although given its reappearance coincided with the flooding of the Severn Valley, it's tempting to speculate it had been somewhere along the river.

The eclipse drake Garganey was also still present early this morning although unfortunately there was no reappearance of yesterday evenings Marsh Harrier that had been feeding on a Mute Swan carcass. Also 2 Ringed Plover went through early this morning.

Other notable sightings from the past week or so have included Red Kite, Ruff, 2 Pintail, Golden Plover and 2 Green Sandpipers while an impressive 800+ House Martins were feeding over Camp Lane Pits on Tuesday evening along with smaller numbers of Sand Martins and Swallows. Also the escaped Ross's Goose (previously seen at Upton Warren) has been with the Canadas since Sunday.

Brian

Other notable sightings from the past week or so have included Red Kite, Ruff, 2 Pintail, Golden Plover and 2 Green Sandpipers while an impressive 800+ House Martins were feeding over Camp Lane Pits on Tuesday evening along with smaller numbers of Sand Martins and Swallows. Also the escaped Ross's Goose (previously seen at Upton Warren) has been with the Canadas since Sunday.

Brian

Thats one well-travelled Ross's Goose given it was also at Upton last year and in the Avon Valley early in 2012

enjoyed the walk around today, managed to see one L. Egret. There was more than one white goose with the Canadas, is there more than one Ross's goose around?
Also managed to see a Raven too, unusual for me. It was huge.

enjoyed the walk around today, managed to see one L. Egret. There was more than one white goose with the Canadas, is there more than one Ross's goose around?
Also managed to see a Raven too, unusual for me. It was huge.

The other whitish geese are hybrids and have been around for years. They can be separated from pure Snow and Ross's Geese by the lack of black in the primaries. Ross's Geese are also tiny in comparison.

Brian

Grimley today

Just back from a few hours at Grimley and I saw the following.
Little Egret, Heron, Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Shelduck, Wigeon, Teal, Mallard, Shoveler, Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen, Cormorant, Lapwing, Snipe, Starling, Jay, Magpie, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Rook,WP, Green Woodpecker, Goldfinch, Song Thrush, LT tit, Blue tit and a pair of Skylarks on high belting out their summer duet.:t:

I was at Grimley (Camp Lane) this afternoon. I noticed a goose that I can't find in any of my bird books. Is it a hybrid or a juvenile bird? Sorry about poor picture quality-the light had almost gone and they were some way off so heavily cropped.
Many thanks.
Angie

Attachments

• _MG_5551.jpg
    _MG_5551.jpg
    552.7 KB · Views: 106
I was at Grimley (Camp Lane) this afternoon. I noticed a goose that I can't find in any of my bird books. Is it a hybrid or a juvenile bird? Sorry about poor picture quality-the light had almost gone and they were some way off so heavily cropped.
Many thanks.
Angie

Its one of the hybrid Farmyard Geese that knock around Grimley :)
MB

Common and Pink Black Headed Gulls

A couple of hours around Grimley this morning with Jason K. On the New Workings Camp Lane 11 Wigeon and a Kingfisher the highlights.
Plenty of Fieldfare over.
Down at Waggon Wheel pits, 2 Common Gulls, a Juv and an Adult. Also a Green Sandpiper.
Of interest there was a Black Headed Gull with a quite noticable pink flush to it's chest, which I had heard about occuring occaisionally but never seen myself.

Any news on the sale of the new workings?

I only know limited details, the two northen plots have been sold to a local resident, who has planning permission to built a small house on the fields to the right of the entrence gate. Looks like much is going to remain as it is at Grimley from what i hear so thats good news :t:
MB

The Sling Pool floods were very productive yesterday, producing an area of wetland that was probably more productive than anywhere for a good few miles.
The star species was a pair of Black-tailed Godwits. There were well over 20 snipe on view, a pair of Shelducks, Shoveler,Gadwall,Tufted Duck,Teal; Wigeon and Little Grebe. A Green Sandpiper was about. Lapwing numbers well into 3 figures.
Over at the new Workings,there was a female Goldeneye.

Last edited:
The Sling Pool floods were very productive yesterday, producing an area of wetland that was probably more productive than anywhere for a good few miles.
The star species was a pair of Black-tailed Godwits. There were well over 20 snipe on view, a pair of Shelducks, Shoveler,Gadwall,Tufted Duck,Teal; Wigeon and Little Grebe. A Green Sandpiper was about. Lapwing numbers well into 3 figures.
Over at the new Workings,there was a female Goldeneye.
Hi woodwolf,

Which is Sling Pool? Following Brian's excellent directions on here I have been a regular visitor to the Camp Lane Pits and the Wagon Wheel Lane Pits/Flood, but have not seen a reference to Sling Pool before.

Patch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back