• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found but not caught. Stourbridge. (1 Viewer)

honeythorn

Hi, I just joined in a hurry as I have something to share.

I've just come in from a walk over the fields. I live in Pedmore near Stourbridge.

I took my usual route, and turned into the trees for a breather by a tree I usually stop at. I'd been standing there about 5 mins when I heard a rustle/flap and a bird of prey landed on a branch right over my head! Anyway it went from branch to branch and kept getting closer, and I figured it must be a lost pet as a wild bird surely wouldn't come that close. So I put my arm up and it flew to me and landed on my arm after a minute or two, and then tried to eat my ring! It also allowed me to gently stroke it's back a little. It flew off onto a branch after a few minutes and came to me a few more times when I put my arm up, but when it realised I hadn't got any food it stopped coming and flew up onto a pylon nearby.

The bird had no ring on it's leg, wasn't wearing any of those leather leg things ( Jesse's? or Jessies or something yes? ) and was missing a claw ( healed ) I've been on google images and I'm 98% certain it was a Female Kestrel. She seemed in good health, flew perfectly well and was very alert. Her tameness suggests to me that she was someone's pet that has either escaped |<| or been let loose to fend for herself :C

I didn't try to actually catch her, as I have no idea how to go about such a thing with a bird of prey, and didn't want to hurt her or stress her. I have a cockatiel and a budgie who I can handle bodily, but I know a bird of prey, even a tame one wouldn't tolerate such a thing lightly.

I feel horrible for leaving her there, but I have no experience with catching birds of prey and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum who lives in the Pedmore/Wollescote area or nearby who has lost a bird? Or who thinks they can perhaps try to catch her?

Any help appreciated, she's a beautiful bird and it wrings my heart to think she might not survive too long. If she has never had to feed herself or hunt of her own accord, she might die :-C

Hi, I just joined in a hurry as I have something to share.

I've just come in from a walk over the fields. I live in Pedmore near Stourbridge.

I took my usual route, and turned into the trees for a breather by a tree I usually stop at. I'd been standing there about 5 mins when I heard a rustle/flap and a bird of prey landed on a branch right over my head! Anyway it went from branch to branch and kept getting closer, and I figured it must be a lost pet as a wild bird surely wouldn't come that close. So I put my arm up and it flew to me and landed on my arm after a minute or two, and then tried to eat my ring! It also allowed me to gently stroke it's back a little. It flew off onto a branch after a few minutes and came to me a few more times when I put my arm up, but when it realised I hadn't got any food it stopped coming and flew up onto a pylon nearby.
Hi

Might give this site a look over, its a register of lost birds of prey. You never know.
http://www.independentbirdregister.co.uk/website/

The bird had no ring on it's leg, wasn't wearing any of those leather leg things ( Jesse's? or Jessies or something yes? ) and was missing a claw ( healed ) I've been on google images and I'm 98% certain it was a Female Kestrel. She seemed in good health, flew perfectly well and was very alert. Her tameness suggests to me that she was someone's pet that has either escaped |<| or been let loose to fend for herself :C

I didn't try to actually catch her, as I have no idea how to go about such a thing with a bird of prey, and didn't want to hurt her or stress her. I have a cockatiel and a budgie who I can handle bodily, but I know a bird of prey, even a tame one wouldn't tolerate such a thing lightly.

I feel horrible for leaving her there, but I have no experience with catching birds of prey and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I was wondering if there is anyone on this forum who lives in the Pedmore/Wollescote area or nearby who has lost a bird? Or who thinks they can perhaps try to catch her?

Any help appreciated, she's a beautiful bird and it wrings my heart to think she might not survive too long. If she has never had to feed herself or hunt of her own accord, she might die :-C

Hi

Might give this site a look over, its a register of lost birds of prey. You never know.
http://www.independentbirdregister.co.uk/website/[/

it must have been hand-reared to be that tame, but if it didn't have a ring then it wasn't an 'owned' bird, so may have been reared by a rescuer, or illegally by a would-be falconer and then released. I'd say take no action on this one, and just hope it gets a bit more wild. A 'female' kestrel could also have been a juvenile - they look very similar, so it was probably only recently released.

It was probably very hungry and came to you for food, possibly being imprinted on people. A good lesson in why not to try to rear things willy nilly.

sorry I cocked that up but the link is included in your original message

Thanks I'll have a look at that.

I was thinking of going back up tomorrow to see if she's still about? Perhaps take a bit of meat or something to see if she'll come to me again, and then throw something over her like a towel to catch her? My aunt used to voulenteer at a falconry centre so if I can catch the bird perhaps I could take her there? I haven't the means or experience to keep such a bird and they'd know far more about it than me.

Good idea? Or no? I know they have instincts and she could probably learn to fend for herself, but if she is a juvenile ( I suspect she may be from what you say KnockerNorton ) perhaps she doesn't know how to feed herself properly seeing as she came to me for some?

I just dread to think that someone may have let her go because they couldn't care for her. That's a horrific thing to do. I really don't want to come across a body next time I go up there because I'd feel awful knowing I could have caught her and taken her to someone who could look after her properly.

Last edited:
Ah Hagley! I knew there was another centre round here, thanks . I've contacted them now so I'll see how that goes.
Do let us know how this turns out. I've been to the Hagley centre, they are very professional. I mainly went because oddly enough our nearest BOP centre (Knutsford, again a very professional bunch) don't have any Golden Eagles, and Hagley have two or even three now.

I've very limited experience of falconry, but my impression is that it's a tough call knowing what to do with a bird that is half-manned (enough to come to a stranger who gives the right signal i.e. a raised arm). If healthy as you say then she may well be able to survive in the wild, but if her memories of people are broadly positive, then continuing to man her and use her for display or even 'working' falconry (airfields, landfill etc.) would be a possibility.

You mentioned that the bird was missing a talon. It could very well have spent some time at a rehabilitation facility to deal with that injury.

If this was the case she may have just seen you as a place to get an easy meal.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back