• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzards (1 Viewer)

A bit more than mud-slinging mate, veiled threats of ‘keep your gob shut or else’. It would seem that the newbie antagonist had generated a new account for the sole reason of slagging me off and sending me intimidating PM’s - he was told to more or less go and piss up a rope but that wasn’t good enuff he then started to go on another thread of mine and slag that off.

There was only one winner and a couple of requests explaining the situation to ‘the management’ resulted in the offending posts (including my own measured responders) being removed and the offensive account terminated within an hour of my complaining that this sort of thing is not acceptable on public forums:t:

Laurie -

Attached: Da Management;)

Attachments

• A3322E6F-6DE9-4130-A151-29BABE161E0B.jpeg
    A3322E6F-6DE9-4130-A151-29BABE161E0B.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 14
Some folk are still a mystery to me Laurie, but I dont try to work them out or where they're coming from anymore in regards to social media.
Cheers.
P

It’s the ‘Tommy Ten Men’ aspect that cheeses me off...

What started out as a bit of healthy scepticism and banter turned very nasty very quickly and obviously some of my comments touched a nerve but once ppl start to threaten (over bird ID ffs) then they have already lost it but this aggressive idiot started PMing me with a ‘watch your back in Wales’ type scenario:-O

I shall be seeing probably 50k+ Honeys, Steppe and what he was watching;) very shortly in Batumi so i don’t give a..... If you put stuff up for peer review then that is what you get.

In my twitching team during the 80’s that bloke would not have lasted 5 minutes with Black Country humour, the banter was merciless - i have the same problem with a local bird reserve that takes itself a bit too seriously;)

Laurie:t:

Pyrtle - where in North Norfolk? I spent my 2 best Summers wardening the Terns etc on Blakeney Point in the early 80’s:t:

Halcyon Days:-C

Laurie -

I'm along the way from Fakenham to Holt road. Spent 10 years working for NWT at Holme and Cley. Blakeney Point is incredible but couldn't manage the walk there and back these days.

Regards,

P

You sound my age and generation mate:eek!:

Even though i lived at the top end in the Lifeboat house i used to walk down to Cley and back most days - at least to Halfway House as that is where the Little Terns were clustered not nice and convenient up with all the others. I found Kentish Plover breeding - 1st nest for Norfolk although they abandoned it and Giles Dunmore the County Recorder came and picked the eggs up to take to the Castle Museum, Norwich. I have made a couple of enquiries as to their whereabouts but have drawn a blank - so once again the endeavours of humble field birders have probably ended up in a cabinet in somebody’s living room...

It's a sad state of affairs when the debate over the identification of a bird reaches such a low ebb that people are threatened. Sadder still when the whole matter could (& should) be resolved by simply posting a few photos. I'm no computer expert, far from it, but it really isn't too difficult to resize & post photos.

Agreed John - all the birders i know have at least a half decent bridge camera if not a DSLR and these days the resolution on most smart phones would do the trick and as i have stated if you put stuff up or say you have seen things then your head is above the parapet and therefore will be peer review scrutinised.

Quite why the bloke reacted towards me as he did only he knows but he clearly has ‘anger management’ issues.....in addition to the bird identification ones;)

Sadder still when the whole matter could (& should) be resolved by simply posting a few photos. I'm no computer expert, far from it, but it really isn't too difficult to resize & post photos.
Indeed, that can be done with any picture editing programme, even the rudimentary one that's pre-installed on any Windows PC (i.e., you really don't need to buy expensive software like Photoshop for such basic tasks). I resize pictures for ID all the time; it sure is annoying, but after all, the forum doesn't have unlimited bandwidth.

The problem could be that there were no pictures to post in the first place?
The easiest way is to take a back of camera shot with a smartphone and post accordingly - not the best of images but if anybody struggles with resizing etc then it will suffice for ID but as stated it has to exist to start with...

Wales

Here you are. Not getting into debate but all I will say is calling someone a Welsh sheep shagger isn't polite conversation. Here are some of the photos. Comments please as it went a little quiet on here when last photos were posted

Attachments

• 1020296_resized.jpg
    1020296_resized.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 1020302_resized_1.jpg
    1020302_resized_1.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 1020309_resized_1.jpg
    1020309_resized_1.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 1020351_resized_2.jpg
    1020351_resized_2.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 99
It is nothing to the tone in the PM’s that i was sent if indeed that was not you?

It ‘went quiet’ because i was actually out in the field rather that spending time threatening people and due to that idiot’s attitude the account was terminated...the associated posts, including mine, were deleted and rightly so. Personal abuse is not acceptable on public forums please note that.

A handful of photos are fine but different claims of different birds require substantiation - that’s the way it works with peer review mate.

I think your attempt to compete with Batumi and Eilat has run its course and i would suggest you change tack and attitude if you want credibility.

Do not PM me over this as it will not be acknowledged but forwarded to the Admin - maybe Surfbirds would be a more appropriate forum.

Laurie -

Last edited:
I think they have been acknowledged as such - the posted pics were never an issue just some of the claims.

I really cannot see what purpose is to be served by this any more - it’s like bald men arguing over a comb. A pair of Honey Buzzards undoubtably breed in the area - my suggestion would be that if you wish the species to establish with returning birds or other associated adults then don’t let the unfledged young anywhere near high-profile ringers keen on ratcheting up their profile with satellite-tagging etc as this imho will serve no useful purpose when balanced with disturbance and stress. Any info (if) gained will be of no use to the species considering the core of distribution and the huge numbers encountered on migration. I have no doubt that vested interests an/or ringers will have their angle but at the end of the day these birds are not ‘their’ property to do what they want with.....

Good Birding -

Here you are. Not getting into debate but all I will say is calling someone a Welsh sheep shagger isn't polite conversation. Here are some of the photos. Comments please as it went a little quiet on here when last photos were posted

Thank you for managing to post the photos as my last post requested. I'm happy to agree that they show Honey Buzzards.

Look like Honeys to me.

We have some in tiny numbers in the south of the county. Fabulous birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back