• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Lifer,2 Year Ticks and 2 B.F.Ticks in the N.East (1 Viewer)

Geoff Pain

Rural Member
Had a trip up to St.Mary's Island,Northumberland today.Arrived about 10am,parked in the pay and display and had a walk down to the sea front.Plenty of Terns about mainly Common and Sandwich but there amongst them yes a lifer :t: Roseate Tern.No sign af the Black Terns but a few Arctic Terns about.Plenty of Golden Plover about with Knot,Dunlin,Sanderling,Turnstone and Ringed Plover foraging amongst the rocks.
Had a walk out across the causway to the island to try a bit of sea watching but very quiet so had a walk back to view the Roseate's again.It was at this point we were approached by another birder asking if the Black Terns were about,who turned out to be Cuddy(BF tick No.1 for the day).
Our next target was the R.B.Shrike at Newbiggin.If it hadn't been for Cuddy giving us directions of how to get there I don't think we'd have found it,so a big thankyou Cuddy :t: .Bird was where he said,we even managed to walk right past it without noticing,and was giving good views.Managed to get some half decent pictures of it before leaving for the next target bird.
Down to Marsden Old Quarry next for the Wryneck and the recently reported Barred Warbler.No sign of the Barred Warbler,but did pick up BF tick No.2 for the day in the shape of IanF who told us where to look for the Wryneck before leaving for the Roseates I think.This too was giving good views and again managed to get some decent shots.
The weather was great,the birders we met were friendly and helpful.It was nice to be able to put faces to 2 more BF members.will definitely visit there again and I hope you managed to get a Wryneck the right side of the Tyne Cuddy.All in all a great day out.

Geoff

Attachments

• rbs1.JPG
    rbs1.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 197
  • wry3.JPG
    wry3.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 168
Hi Geoff, nice to meet you and so glad you had a nice day, Black Terns showed briefly later on i also managed a few pics of RB Shrike then on to Creswell pond and i saw 2 Wood Sands, Male Merlin, Little Stint, then back to ST Marys to add Med Gull.

But the highlight was yet to come i received a text at 1400 to let me know that a Wryneck had been found at East Chevington so off i raced and at last ending 15 years of hurt and pain i saw my first Wryneck, and it was well worth the wait B :) :clap:.

Relaxing now with a G & T cant get the grin off my face.

Chilled out Cuddy : )

A good result!

I too had a lifer today, three Black Terns and met devon.birder but he wasn't a lifer. He actually spotted the first Black Tern of the high tide roost at Northam Burrows!

Great shots Geoff,

Nice to meet you too :t:

After leaving you I headed up to Newbigign again. The RBS was about but wasn't so compliant with me today. I spent too long on the bushes further along with the Stonechats and Wheatear and then got waylaid talking with several other birders. By the time I reached St.Mary's Island the tide was in and the birders not to mention Terns, gone. Maybe next week again.

I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit to the area. The Northeast has a lot to offer. Northumbria is an exceptional birding area, though further south around Teesmouth is pretty good - usually more species too!

Congrats on the Wryneck Cuddy :t:

Maybe next week I will make East Chevington and Creswell too - depending on what is around!

cuddy said:
Relaxing now with a G & T cant get the gin off my face.

Aww man you've spilled it again!!

Nice one Cuddy, thought I was the only one collecting life ticks - brought you luck I did, I'm claiming an assist.

So when's the next one Michael ;)

cuddy said:
Hi Geoff, nice to meet you and so glad you had a nice day, Black Terns showed briefly later on i also managed a few pics of RB Shrike then on to Creswell pond and i saw 2 Wood Sands, Male Merlin, Little Stint, then back to ST Marys to add Med Gull.

But the highlight was yet to come i received a text at 1400 to let me know that a Wryneck had been found at East Chevington so off i raced and at last ending 15 years of hurt and pain i saw my first Wryneck, and it was well worth the wait B :) :clap:.

Relaxing now with a G & T cant get the grin off my face.

Chilled out Cuddy : )

I'm pleased you got it. Good bird. It was still there this evening.

Hi Alan,

On behalf of Admin and the Mods and a fellow not so 'north' easterner ;) Welcome to Bird Forum :t:

Two birds I've wanted to see in the UK since I was a youngster. Lucky you. A marvellous day indeed - and good shots to remember it by.

Please could someone explain (I am obviously an ignoramus) - what is a lifer, 2 year ticks and BF ticks?

I assume a lifer is possibly the first ever sighting of a particular bird in your life?

thanks

Benjismum

Benjismum said:
Please could someone explain (I am obviously an ignoramus) - what is a lifer, 2 year ticks and BF ticks?

I assume a lifer is possibly the first ever sighting of a particular bird in your life?

thanks

Benjismum

hi Benjismum

a lifer is the first time you've ever seen that bird.
a year tick is the first time you've seen the bird this year
a BF tick is the first time you've seen a particular member of Bird Forum. You should get some of these at Birdfair

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back