• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawk or Sparrowhawk (1 Viewer)

I had this bird visiting my garden, all likelihood would suggest a sparrowhawk but the bulk and colour made me think it could be a goshawk. I am quite close to the new forest so it isn't beyond the realm of possibility but I don't know enough to distinguish. Any suggestions from these shots I managed to get?

IMAG2212.jpg

IMAG2213.jpg

IMAG2220.jpg

cheers
Matthew

What was the prey item? Looks like a Collared Dove or Woodpigeon. Not beyond the realms of possibility for a Goshawk. Looks to have a long tail, bulky and shaggy trousers and side under tail coverts. But as its known, always rule out a Sparrowhawk first.

Sparrowhawk... Legs too thin for Goshawk - tail barring on Goshawk has thin white edge on each bar, this bird hasn't - breast barring not tight enough, even allowing for spread if eaten a lot. I'd guess at adult female.

Just my mind wandering...have there even been proven wild hybridization between Sparrow and Gos hawk? The only scenario I'm considering is a Male Goshawk with a large female Sparrowhawk.
Cheers,
P

Just my mind wandering...have there even been proven wild hybridization between Sparrow and Gos hawk? The only scenario I'm considering is a Male Goshawk with a large female Sparrowhawk.
Cheers,
P

No, but falconers have done that. A rare cross , I think and only via artificial insemination....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back