• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 12x36 II IS - expecting tomorrow (1 Viewer)

barshnik

John F
Taking a bit of a flier on these (online order) as I've not found them locally. After borrowing a friends 10x42 IS L for a few days, I decided I really could use a stabilized bino (hands getting a bit shakier than years ago.)

Since many of you own these, I've got just a few questions:

- I know they are not waterproof, and therefore not dustproof, which has me just a bit concerned about their use here in the desert. With the spring winds blowing fine sand / dirt around, any comments on how to minimize issues with particulates?

- The optics on the L's I found to be superb, perhaps just a tiny step down from my Swaro 10x32 SV EL's. How much 'crappier' can I expect the optics to be on the 12x36's?

- The L's have already had to be sent in to Canon for stabilizer repair, at great cost. How reliable have the 12x36 II's proven to be?

I'm selling my Nikon 8x32 SE's to fund the Canon, if anyone is interested - they are in the classifieds. Thanks for comments,

John F
LV NV

I wonder if a clear plastic bag or lightweight camera waterproof housing would keep fine sand out, only eyepieces outside the bag. Maybe UV filters in front of bag completely sealed around filters.

I wonder if a clear plastic bag or lightweight camera waterproof housing would keep fine sand out, only eyepieces outside the bag. Maybe UV filters in front of bag completely sealed around filters.

I wouldn't go so far as using them inside a glorified plastic bag. If anything, maybe just apply electrical tape or McNett gun wrap or similar around key junctures to seal gaps. It would be nice to know how well these are sealed e.g. where the IPD adjustable ocular assemblies pivot. Just because an optic isn't waterproof doesn't mean it isn't well sealed against dust, for which a simple labyrinth does wonders. I've used various optics in the windy, sandy, dusty deserts of the Middle East without any issues by taking just the regular precautions.

--AP

Last edited:
. Two examples of the 8×25 IS that I know of, have dust behind the optical windows and in front of the objectives. It may be that the rubber retaining part, which is very thin and meant to be glued, has problems not being properly sealed.
It may be that the 10×30 and 12×36 are sealed better. I did buy a second-hand 10×30 and I found that it was badly affected by moisture internally, but not by dust. It may have been over 10 years old. I wish I'd never bought it.

Other posts here say that the 10×30 and 12×36 are much tougher than is generally thought.

I just saw that there are many simple waterproof bags with optical front windows for cameras and video cameras. They cost about £30 or £40. The problem is that they only have one circular front window.
I think that some of these camera bags are used to keep out dust and sand. I don't know if there are similar waterproof bags for binoculars, but I'd be happy to use one in very sandy conditions.
I have seen many aerial photographic lenses that have been sandblasted so badly that the front surface of the lens is opaque. I presume that this is from flying at 400 or 500 kn at 250 feet above the ground taking photos with the image motion compensation, or maybe from landing and taking off on the runway.

I have seen many old binoculars that have large amounts of dust or moisture or both inside them, although optics that I bought new are still immaculate.

Received the glasses today. I'm not going to worry too much about dust intrusion, they look pretty solid. First impressions are great - Yes, there is CA, there are linear distortions. All in all, not bad considering what you are getting in return - steady image. I really like them so far.

John F
LV NV

Quick impressions - 12x36 II IS

Have had them a few days now and used them during desert sun and night time (albeit full moon).

What I don't like:
- they look awkward somehow. Funky IPD design contributes to this strange look. Sort of like they are futuristic and old fashion at the same time, in some strange way.

- size / weight. They suffer a bit compared to other glasses as payment for stabilization.

- not much else.

What I like:

- they feel better in the hand(s) than they look like they should.

- focus. I'd prefer the focus knob to be slighty larger than it is, but it can't be because of the IPD adjustment design. Oh well, it isn't horrible and I'm already getting used to it and think the focus weight, feel, speed, and overall operation is wonderful.

- whenever you think the stabilization doesn't work very well, just let up on the button. Press it again, and think "it really does work pretty well after all."

- just about everything else.

John F
LV NV

my main complaint of the 12x36s is the balance/aiming,
I tend to point highter, over the object, with the IS than I do with regular binoculars
you get use to it, but an issue when going back and forth

edj

OK, the more I use these, the more fantastic they seem to look and work. There is some flare in bright light and a good amount of CA in high contrast areas. Other than that, I'm really surprised at how good the optics are on the 12x36 II's. I can see detail at least 2x, maybe 3x beyond my 10x32 SV EL's thanks to the greater magnification and stabilization. These really are terrific glasses and I highly recommend them. Ergonomics, not so much, but the total experience (optics, view, focus operation, etc.) is really fantastic for the money.

Notice I've not mentioned durability, reliability, warranty, etc, as I've not experienced those yet.

John F
LV NV

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back