• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eden XP 10x56 (1 Viewer)

chris6

United Kingdom
For this particular hunt the aim was again to obtain binoculars which could provide exceptional detail with steadiness sufficient for 10x and initially the range was to be up to £1000. Typo's Equipment Review in 2012, together with other comments around the time, had recommended the Eden XP and indicated that 10x56 might indeed be suitable, particularly for its weight. Therefore the options were not pursued for the attractive alternative 10x42-50 and bigger models from Nikon, Vortex, Bushnell, and Meopta.

In addition I was curious about Hawke Pro-stalk 10x56 ED, but it seemed not to be available. The clones along the lines of the Bushnell 10x56 were ruled out because it seemed their combined focus/dioptre controls might be problematic. Those along the same lines as Strathspey had been reported to have lesser specs than on paper. In other sizes at the nearest RSPB shop I had looked at Ziess and Leica but had seemed too exhorbitant, or I had not liked them enough. Anyway at the size in mind they might have been too light in weight.

In Uk I do not believe that Eden binoculars can be had except from Holland: https://www.knivesandtools.co.uk/en/ct/binoculars.htm . Few other references to the brand name 'Eden' could be found, except for pictures of the odd small pair, one said to have been produced 'after the War' in links such as http://www.ulsbsale.top/vintage-set-of-eden-binoculars-with-leather-pouch-model-10309-p-977.html . Nor could any clones be identified so a pair was ordered to try out, at a very reasonable £301 incl. postage.

It's nice to own something a bit different like this. Finish and mechanics are excellent but they are indeed big and heavy, with a suitable well matched collection of bits and pieces, all of equivalent high quality and of apparently unique design. They would probably best suit Papa Bear but to me they were just right. The only exception was the focus wheel, which I thought was too smooth-ribbed cf. Orion 8x42 Ultraview, which has an ideal sharp and rough diamond pattern of knobbles.

In particular I looked for, but could not find, a wobbly focus wheel with roughness or free play, or a green tinge to the view. Occasionally there was a fine edge of CA to things on the periphery but I would not have noticed it at all without looking for it. The view is an easy one with my glasses, eyepieces wound right down, and provided some leeway. Eye relief is quoted as "18.5mm" which seems right because I have previously found that "16mm" has been too little.

Of my other binoculars: Celestron 7x35 Landscout, Pentax DCF ED 8x32, Orion Ultraview 8x42, and Pentax ZD 10x50, the Orion had previously showed the best detail, albeit at 'only' 8x, appearing to have masses of contrast. The Edens were clearly better than this for fine detail, in combination with their desired greater magnification.

Compared to ZD they are equally bright and again reveal greater texture or very fine detail. They are heavier and a little easier to hold still, and have significantly wider FOV at 6 degrees. The ZD view is a bit clearer towards the edge of its 5 degrees, so compares favourably in spite of its smaller overall view.

All the binoculars gave a good impression of the Great Spotted Woodpecker which suddenly arrived but the more usual Wood Pigeons were better test subjects. Their camouflage is good and they have a habit of hiding behind the branches from an observer. It was notable that the Edens spotted bits of them with its large and razor sharp central area, when the others had not.

Since the accounts I had read were written in 2012 I had guessed that the Eden 10x56 might have been overtaken in some way, but could find no recent comparisons. At least amongst my own favourites they have turned out to be outstanding and seem wonderful value.

Last edited:
After further comparisons with Pentax 10x50, I concluded that I do not need them. The Eden is indeed slightly better for definition but I am not so comfortable with the slipperiness of the focus wheel, I may have recognised the colour cast which typo described because today a blue sky did not look so blue, and the Pentax may even be a bit brighter. Not really a fair comparison though and the Eden still seems good value at quite a bit less than half the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back