• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From 2006 sketchbook (2 Viewers)

Superb stuff Tim...

I particularily admire the way you have handled the light and in particular the light on the breast. You can only get that from field observation. Should make a beautiful oil or acrylic work if taken to the next level, so to speak..

This studio study will take some beating though in my opinion, I tend to find something in preliminary studies very magical. Perhaps it is that the scene is so fresh in the mind...

Thanks for posting...

Managed to get a bit of drawing time in today, just prior to lunch. I was looking for Great Northern Diver and it took a bit of time, eventually I found one. Should never go out 'looking' for a particular species - it's the road to despair.
(I've popped a more comprehensive account in 'My Birding Day' forum - if anyone is remotely bothered.)

Attachments

• GNDiver1.jpg
    GNDiver1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 193
  • GNDiver2.jpg
    GNDiver2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 205
timwootton said:
Should never go out 'looking' for a particular species - it's the road to despair.

I know all too well what you mean. I'm quickly adopting the 'see what I can see' method rather than having targets.

More excellent stuff Tim.

I've got to say I envy your location...'popped out to look for a great northern diver' indeed!

Woody

Woody said:
More excellent stuff Tim.

I've got to say I envy your location...'popped out to look for a great northern diver' indeed!

Woody
Sorry Woody, It's not meant to sound blase - but also remember that I haven't seen blue or great tit, any woodpeckers or a magpie for over 3 years!
It's all relative (I was reading MacSwede's latest post and he's on about eagles and capercaillie et al -I was a bit envious, I can tell you).
Cheers for the comments anyway - Tim

timwootton said:
Sorry Woody, It's not meant to sound blase - but also remember that I haven't seen blue or great tit, any woodpeckers or a magpie for over 3 years!
It's all relative (I was reading MacSwede's latest post and he's on about eagles and capercaillie et al -I was a bit envious, I can tell you).
Cheers for the comments anyway - Tim
You're right of course. Down here in Kent marsh harriers are so regular I'd be surprised if I didn't see them every outing, likewise the little egrets. Other regulars include barn owl, peregrine and merlin on the Isle of Sheppey. I know quite a lot of people would give their eye-teeth for just a glimpse of one of them.

Cheers and keep the artwork coming.

Woody

Taken advantage of an unexpected but very welcome break in the weather. Bright sun and distinctly warm this morning so off to find some more divers (if any around). A razorbill and a guillemot diving for stuff little more than 5 yards offshore and, in the next bay at Churchill Barrier No. 3, black-throated diver. Warm enough to get out of the van (landrover in garage having heater fixed - hopefully!) and set up shoreside. This is the first time I've had chance to use my new gear in earnest, and I was delighted with the optical quality - of course the weather certainly helps!
Managed to draw in relative comfort for about an hour or so - the attached is a studio sheet directly from the field sketches. It's really nice to follow one species, or a group of similar species, and to try to really get to know them. This time of year the divers have varying degrees of remnant summer plumage and it's possible to id individuals amongst a group of birds, using the amount of dark on the face and neck - and the various patterns it produces, as id features.
Here are two birds, an adult and a first winter, which were in a loose flock of five birds. They were enjoying the break in the weather conditions, too.

Attachments

• Black-throat.jpg
    Black-throat.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 390
Some very nice watercolours there tim,

Never ceases to amaze me how well the differing postures and movement of birds and other animals are so seemingly easily captured by those with ''the talent''

Despite being able to draw perfectly well in three dimensions (buildings etc),
my birdy sketches still have yet to progress beyond stiff,lifeless profiles!

To portray a cloud,tree or bird with correct proportion and in three dimensions on a flat piece of paper is beyond me,yet looks so effortless
when executed by the right artist.

Matt

Lovely new work Tim. You found your divers then!

On sunday I found my merlin, didn't see any divers though....;)

Woody

Woody said:
Lovely new work Tim. You found your divers then!

On sunday I found my merlin, didn't see any divers though....;)

Woody
You getting any time to draw, Woody? I'd like to see some more of your work sometime. Did you follow the post about the merlin (I think it was a gallery photo from the US - id as 'some kind of hawk') - I found the discussion really interesting. I didn't know they had such a huge range.
See any Marshys?

Hi Matt - glad you like my work. With regard to your own efforts, I strongly believe if you can make lines and marks - then you will be able to produce images. Just a question: How many times do you think you've been out trying to draw birds, say in the past year? I only ask because it really is a discipline you simply have to practice and practice. If I haven't drawn for sometime, say 2-3 weeks - it takes quite a while to get my confidence back up. I still struggle daily with how to 'do it'. Also I've been drawing from life for the best part of 30 years now (since a kid, really), but if you look at those artists who can REALLY draw - Lars Jonsson, John Busby - they aren't trying to find time to go out drawing - no, It is their raison d'etre - they probably have to find time to do the other stuff, shopping, kids, and everything else, because DRAWING gets in the way!
That may be the difference between the lies of me and you - trying to be artists, and those who are simply born that way.
Keep trying - it will happen through effort and application. Good luck.

timwootton said:
You getting any time to draw, Woody? I'd like to see some more of your work sometime. Did you follow the post about the merlin (I think it was a gallery photo from the US - id as 'some kind of hawk') - I found the discussion really interesting. I didn't know they had such a huge range.
See any Marshys?
Usual sketching time Tim, early sunday mornings for a couple of hours. Problem is my scanner is kaput and I'm waiting for the new one to arrive.

I've just posted three old paintings in my gallery as it's been a while since I posted any work.

There's almost always marsh harriers around on Sheppey, you tend to get blase about them but it's always worth checking them out just in case they're hen harriers.
I missed the merlin thread but I'll go and have a look for it. I love merlins, they are such dashing little hunters and they just take your breath away when you see them in full out pursuit.

Woody

timwootton said:
Hi Matt - glad you like my work. With regard to your own efforts, I strongly believe if you can make lines and marks - then you will be able to produce images. Just a question: How many times do you think you've been out trying to draw birds, say in the past year? I only ask because it really is a discipline you simply have to practice and practice. If I haven't drawn for sometime, say 2-3 weeks - it takes quite a while to get my confidence back up. I still struggle daily with how to 'do it'. Also I've been drawing from life for the best part of 30 years now (since a kid, really), but if you look at those artists who can REALLY draw - Lars Jonsson, John Busby - they aren't trying to find time to go out drawing - no, It is their raison d'etre - they probably have to find time to do the other stuff, shopping, kids, and everything else, because DRAWING gets in the way!
That may be the difference between the lies of me and you - trying to be artists, and those who are simply born that way.
Keep trying - it will happen through effort and application. Good luck.

I know exactly what you mean, Tim, I'm just the same. Ok, I do not have the distraction of kids but I do have other things that get in the way. I've just had a week of no drawing simply because I've not had the time.

Hi VB - I've just visited your site - Ilike what you say and how you say it. I think, looking at your work there as a small collection, you have a real basis of skill and insight. You must get out and do it (If it's what you want to do!)
Good luck - put some more stuff up soon.

Fantastic work Tim, really have captured the jizz of the species...

You may guess from my avatar that this is among my favourite species, much sought by me in Dublin when I was in my teens and the fascination with them still remains. I notice in your work that your sharp observations have caught one of their peculiar traits, raising the feathers on their lower back/rump. Lovely page of watercolurs.
I spent quite some time observing Black Throats here in Stockholm this summer, in Tyresta national park. Mind blowing birds when in summer plumage. The call is extraordinary too, one of the defining sounds of the swedish birding for me... I have an 18x30" canvas waiting for this species from those observations as a result which I am looking forward to starting on...
Thanks for posting, enjoy the mild weather! Having an exceptionally mild spell here too at the moment which is most welcome!

"I've just posted three old paintings in my gallery as it's been a while since I posted any work."Quote" (Woody)

Stunning work, all of it. Look forward to seeing more, keep it coming!

buzzard12 said:
Stunning work, all of it. Look forward to seeing more, keep it coming!
Thanks Buzz!

We seem to be getting quite a little sub community for artists going on here, and that can only be a good thing.

Woody

Woody said:
Thanks Buzz!

We seem to be getting quite a little sub community for artists going on here, and that can only be a good thing.

Woody
More the merrier, I say Woody! Let's see if we can get a few more out of the woodwork, too. Why not start a thread along those lines???? I'll follow you in, Captain.
And thanks Alan - I must confess I'm always a little anxious when posting drawings of birds I'm only starting to get to know (artistically), and your avatar states your position re these birds. They make a beautiful shape when they flex the rump plumage as it also makes the tail point almost vertically downwards. A real change for divers/grebes in that they actually 'finish' - instead of blurring away, if you understand what I mean.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back