• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

black headed gull query (1 Viewer)

waxwing33

I hope you don't think me daft for asking this but although i'm quite good on small birds i am hopeless on gulls and sea birds etc
I read that black headed gulls only have the dark heads in summer but i am seeing lots with dark heads now is that because they are migrants? Also few with patchy bits of black on too. Im just curious adn would like to be more knowledegable on these birds

thanks

No at this time of year they start to get their summer plumage,you will see gulls with various degrees head colour.

Certainly not a daft question! They can start to acquire the "black" hoods (they are actually a dark shade of brown) as early as January although most will start later in February and March. They retain a smudge of "black" throughout the winter. A useful gull to start learning about ageing as there are usually plenty around in the winter and they are reasonably tolerant of humans.

David

Hi waxwing33

Gosh - I don't do gulls, but I'll give it a go.

Only adults have the all black head (actually it's brown!) in the breeding season. Immature birds have varying amounts depending on their age. They can moult into the full head as early as December, I think.

You can read more about them in Opus HERE.

D

I read that black headed gulls only have the dark heads in summer

The source of your confusion is probably an odd terminological choice in the Collins guide--referring to breeding (or alternate) plumage as "summer" plumage. That's a misnomer. Other guides such as Sibley, use "breeding" and then have appx. months the bird retains that plumage--in case of BHGU Feb-Aug.

Best,
Jim

ah, thank you all for your quick and informative replies. My book is an old RSPB beginners book of birds. Keep meaning to get myself a more up to date version.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back