• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raptors all over (1 Viewer)

Frogdoondey

Hola:

I am working in Gold Hill counting the migratory raptors that cross over the Panama Canal.
Well, today there where no migratori raptors but the local ones where evreywere.
Gray-headed Kite, Black Hawk-eagle, Short-tailed Hawk and a Great Potoo during day ligth were enough to keep the team happy

:gh:
:bounce:

Frogdoondey said:
Hola:

I am working in Gold Hill counting the migratory raptors that cross over the Panama Canal.
Well, today there where no migratori raptors but the local ones where evreywere.
Gray-headed Kite, Black Hawk-eagle, Short-tailed Hawk and a Great Potoo during day ligth were enough to keep the team happy

:gh:
:bounce:

Hi Frogdoondey,

I wonder if you could post a count summary (so far this year) of the migratory ones broken down by species.

Thanks,

Dalcio

dacol said:
Hi Frogdoondey,

I wonder if you could post a count summary (so far this year) of the migratory ones broken down by species.

Thanks,

Dalcio

Dalcio:
the project will be fiinished in a week.
After that I will be able to post the total numbers, and they will be huge: more than 6 digits.
So far we know that about 3 to 6 millions raptors migrate to South America via Panama. There are 9 spot along the Panama Canala were counters are colecting data.

The main sponsor of the project is Hawk Mountain Sanctuary so keep an eye on their web page.

Eilat

salty said:
wow! kites, hawks and eagles on the same day! - im jealous.

Salty,

Closer to home is Eilat. During the spring thousands of migrant raptors pass very close to you through the mountains.

I can guarantee - with a north wind - Kites, Hawks, falcons, Eagles, the occasional Osprey, Harrier, plus Bee-eaters, Hirundines, Larks, Storks, etc.

Your first sighting of hundreds of Steppe Buzzards lifting off just after first light,and later on joined by the larger Aquilas, will stay with you forever.

JB.

Today we had 5 Turkey vultures and 1 Osprey.
A Kestrel made me company for a couples hours. Two Peregrines hunted early in the morning and they left behind 3 carcases of grey-breasted martins.
1 Merlin flew by but It was not a migratory one.

dacol said:
Hi Frogdoondey,

Thanks,

Dalcio

Dalcio:
3.1 millions. In a couple days I´ll brake down the numbers by specie and dates

Thanks

Frogdoondey said:
Dalcio:
3.1 millions. In a couple days I´ll brake down the numbers by specie and dates

Thanks

Thank you! Impressive number. Keep up the good work!

Dalcio

Bit late, I know, but have to comment that 12 species in one day has got to be good in most folks' books!

I managed 10 in Cyprus during autumn (fall) migration, then 10 in dry season (northern winter) in Côte d'Ivoire (could have had 11 if I hadn't been so dog tired as to skip the afternoon village-art trip!).

Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back