• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hokkaido Winter Gull ID (1 Viewer)

Otarujef

Master Blurry Bird Phototaker
Supporter
Japan
Place: Port Shukutsu, Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan
Date: Feb. 16, 2020 9:52 a.m.
Weather: Partly cloudy, cold -6C

Hi Everyone!

I am working on really sorting out my winter gulls for the area I live in.
Well appreciated for any help in ID-ing these 2 gulls in a group of Harlequin Ducks.

I THINK maybe a Glaucous-winged Gull taking off and a Slaty-backed Gull kicking back?

There are random fly-thru's in winter, as well as 1st-4th winter and juveniles
that I am keeping an eye in the sorting of photos to learn.

Need to double-check if I am on the right track for ID-ing or I am missing something. One slender necked gull and one thick necked gull is a little confusing looking thru the Olsen books for me.

Thanks so much!

Jeff :D

Attachments

• gulls ID-1_DSC8246.jpg
    gulls ID-1_DSC8246.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 71
The gull taking off looks like a Glaucous-winged Gull but the one in the water seems like a Black-tailed Gull to me. It's quite small, has extensive dark marking on the bill tip and lacks the broad white tertial crescent of a Slaty-backed Gull.

Andrew :enters with lightning speed:
Bless You!
Thank so much:)
I always learn something new in this great forum.
And thanks for the pointers for the differences!

Jeff :D

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back