• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID please (1 Viewer)

andrew saunders

Appeared this week in a grassy area with wildflower plugs. Couldn't see any basal leaves amongst the grass. Quite delicate

Attachments

• St Marks 15.9.20.JPG
    St Marks 15.9.20.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 34
A species of Linaria (or other closely related genus, like Nuttallanthus, or Cymbalaria). A pic of an isolated plant separated from the grass to see the leaf shape would help :t:

Thanks! Best fit is Linaria pelisseriana (Jersey Toadflax); presumably introduced in a seed mix, as not native in Britain (apart from Channel Islands; also native W France, Mediterranean).

Probably Linaria maroccana which is now routinely included in so-called wildflower mixes.

New one to me - how does it differ from L. pelisseriana?

Wonder whose bright idea it was to put this in wildflower seed mixes - were they thinking of 'assisted migration' to beat climate change, or just 'pretty flowers'?

New one to me - how does it differ from L. pelisseriana?

Wonder whose bright idea it was to put this in wildflower seed mixes - were they thinking of 'assisted migration' to beat climate change, or just 'pretty flowers'?

According to Stace in the key for Linaria, L. maroccana splits in the first couplet by having spur longer than the rest of the corolla. In all other Linaria species encountered in the UK (which includes L. pelisseriana) the spur is shorter to nearly as long as corolla. I think the OP's plant seems pretty conclusive for L. maroccana now.

Stace gives the vernacular Annual Toadflax for this species. It certainly comes in a variety of colours. My local council use it in quite a few of their pollinator mixes & stray plants away from the obvious plantings are often encountered. I suspect it's a plant we'll see more of as more councils use these mix.

I do find it bizarre they talk of flowering meadows which contain so many exotics including Cosmos, Calendula, garish cornflowers, Californian Poppies, Phacellia, Linum grandiflorum & many others!

According to Stace in the key for Linaria, L. maroccana splits in the first couplet by having spur longer than the rest of the corolla. In all other Linaria species encountered in the UK (which includes L. pelisseriana) the spur is shorter to nearly as long as corolla. I think the OP's plant seems pretty conclusive for L. maroccana now.

Stace gives the vernacular Annual Toadflax for this species. It certainly comes in a variety of colours. My local council use it in quite a few of their pollinator mixes & stray plants away from the obvious plantings are often encountered. I suspect it's a plant we'll see more of as more councils use these mix.

I do find it bizarre they talk of flowering meadows which contain so many exotics including Cosmos, Calendula, garish cornflowers, Californian Poppies, Phacellia, Linum grandiflorum & many others!
Thanks! I was using the new Collins Flower Guide (Streeter et al.), which doesn't include L. maroccana, and cites L. pelisseriana as having spur almost as long as the rest of the corolla.

There's a whole field of Phacelia on my patch, several hectares of the stuff - no idea what the farmer is growing it for, but the local bees were certainly liking it! Pic from 4 weeks ago.

Attachments

• IMG_4972a.jpg
    IMG_4972a.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Phacelia is sometimes grown as a green manure by farmers/allotment holders but is also grown as a bee attractant, so I guess one of these reasons. The attractive Crimson Clover, Trifolium incarnatum is also increasingly grown for these dual purposes.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back