• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

September Moths (2 Viewers)

Trapped more in hope than expectation last night, and was rewarded with a grand total of two moths! One was a Red-green Carpet on the wall, the other, in the trap, was a tick - Blair's Shoulder-knot!

Attachments

• IMG_6418.JPG
    IMG_6418.JPG
    294.3 KB · Views: 20
First trap for a few days, due to high winds, though it was still moderately windy. Three and a half hours produced 10 moths of 5 species, but nothing interesting. 2 Lunar Underwings, 3 Setaceous Hebrew Characters, 3 Shuttle-shaped Darts, a Lesser Yellow Underwing and an Angle Shades.
Tonight is slightly warmer and only 4mph wind so more hopeful.

A record 36 Lunar Underwings of varying colour shades (and I diligently checked for Beaded Chestnut), 1 Light Emerald, 1 Sallow and 1 Green brindled Crescent.

Two Barred Sallows, a Black Rustic, a Blair's Shoulder-knot and a Lesser Yellow Underwing was my total catch last night.

Last edited:
Last night, 7 moths, 7 species, 1 tick - Barred Sallow.

(The other 6 were Common Marbled & Green Carpet, and Lunar, Copper, Large Yellow & Lesser Yellow Underwings.)

Attachments

• IMG_6691.JPG
    IMG_6691.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 8
I haven’t done much trapping recently as it has been too cold, too wet or too windy. Last night was the first night in a while with a reasonable temperature and little wind, though rain was due in the early hours of the morning, so I trapped till midnight. I had 35 moths of 17 species. Best moth was a Dewick’s Plusia (just the name alone makes it desirable), this was outside the trap on the table; a moth that was rare but becoming more frequent. Also new, a Grey Pine Carpet. The first new moths for a while. A Shore Sexton Beetle was my assistant, hanging on the wall overseeing events. Everything else was the usual and expected.

Getting to the point where I am very choosy about putting the trap out. Last night looked Ok but only produced a Black Rustic, a Barred Sallow, five Lesser YUs and a LBAM.

can't stop yet though, as I still need a Blair's Shoulder-knot to round the year off. Plus Red-green Carpet, Burnished Brass and Red-line Quaker if I'm lucky.

Steve

Last night was pretty poor. 8 moths of 6 species. Willow Beauty, 2 Shuttle-shaped Darts, Lesser Yellow Underwing, Black Rustic, 2 Set Hebrew Characters and Sq-spot Rustic. Lots of rain tonight so Sept is done.

Also, can't stop yet (like Steve) as I can see the potential for at least 23 moths that will be new for the garden by end of Dec, just need those reasonable nights.

Trapped again on Sunday night after a break from the wind and rain. It was still a little windy so I moved the trap close to the house. The trap was wet by morning so I wasn't expecting much but surprised to get 52 Moths & 16 species. Brick and Lunar Y/U were both NFG. Beaded Chestnut topped the list with 17, followed by Black Rustic 9, Large Y/U 6, Lunar Underwing 5, Sallow 2 and singles of Brown-spot Pinion, Barred Sallow, Angle Shades, Setaceous H/C, Red-green Carpet, LesserY/U and Autumnal Rustic. Just 4 micros, 3 Acleris variegana and a LBAM.

Last night, just 19 moths, 10 of them Lunar Underwings, 3 Beaded Chestnut, 2 Black Rustic, 2 Setaceous H/C, a Large Y/U and a Pink-barred Sallow.

Raining again now and the forecast doesn't look good until after the weekend but still hoping for a few more before the winter.

Nine moths of eight species last night, with two new garden moths - Satellite & Angle Shades. I know Angle Shades is really common, even I've seen several without benefit of moth trap (including one at work a few days ago), but they really are spectacular. Satellite was a full tick though, and subtly rather attractive.

Attachments

• IMG_6776.JPG
    IMG_6776.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6783.JPG
    IMG_6783.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6847.JPG
    IMG_6847.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back