• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (42 Viewers)

Thanks for the update Ian, looks like the bird gave a lot of people the slip then! Could strill be there, far from perfect conditions to leave last night.

Red necked Phalerope still here at Kelling Water Meadows at 9.05am but no sign of the Barred Warbler that Pete S. Saw yesterday.

Glad you had a good day Ian.

Best Wishes Penny

(posted via iphone)

Last edited:
Bit of an error checking the net for bird news before departing for Waxham and the patch. The lure of a Melodious was too much, and my experiences sadly mirror those of the above. Certainly a lot of negative feeling surrounding the sighting from people I spoke with, and I hope for the finder's sake a picture was taken! Seriously though, as James was telling me on site this is a very rare bird for Norfolk, so if someone has found one then hats off to them.
I spent my time at the cross-tracks, picked up some nice common migrants. Chiffchaff, a very yellow Willow Warbler (easy there), Blackcap, Bullfinch and a small flock of Siskin. Plenty of Goldcrests mingling with the Tit flocks. Finished with cracking views of a Barn Owl, but gutted I missed out on the Shortie that Firstreesjohn saw!
Cheers,
Jim.

Jim,

There is no photo since I do not carry a camera, however as you will see above I never claimed it as a Melodious - somebody later in the day did that, presumably not looking at the same bird we saw first thing in the morning!

In view of that for my sake I am not in the least concerned.

Ian

Jim,

There is no photo since I do not carry a camera, however as you will see above I never claimed it as a Melodious - somebody later in the day did that, presumably not looking at the same bird we saw first thing in the morning!

In view of that for my sake I am not in the least concerned.

Ian

Ian,
and neither should you be. The early bird catches the worm then! It has been a good year for Icterine records in Norfolk. Quite where the Melodious bit comes in is a mystery. Both of the usual Hippos in the same place in one day? Stranger things have happened.
Cheers,
Jim.

Thanks for the update Ian, looks like the bird gave a lot of people the slip then! Could strill be there, far from perfect conditions to leave last night.

Hi Ben,

I think the problem may well be that the bird moved on after we left it at 7.30am. I have no idea when the next birder arrived, but for it not to be seen all day would appear to indicate that (it was a very showy bird all the time we were there and in my mind its id was never in doubt).

So purely my speculation here, it had roosted in the pine overnight (we arrived not long after first light), it fed up (it was very actively feeding all the time we were watching it), and then it moved on.

I guess for once in my birding life I was very lucky!

Ian

Richard "Sam" Hill and I - both from West Sussex - arrived at Lady Anne's Drive just before 7am. Having paid our king's ransom for a three hour stay we intended to walk west to the Burnham Overy dunes.

It was clearly a "hippo" and the only real decision was Icky or Melodious.

We watched the bird for over fifteen minutes feeding vigorously in the pine. It clearly had steel grey legs, but for me it is the agressive look of the bird. I always find that Ickys look evil whereas Melodious have a much more gentle look due to its rounded head.

Having satisfied ourselves that the bird was an Icterine we put out the message to RBA and continued our walk. We returned at 10am to find a number of people searching for the bird, which had clearly not shown since we left it still feeding in the pines at 7.25am

As a final comment, the pictures of the bird attached to this thread is not the bird we watched.

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm glad you had such a good day. The reason for posting the photos of the "yellow-footed grey-legged warbler" was just to highlight that there was a bit of collective hysteria going on with at least one of the later claims.

Mind you there could be some jealousy involved as I have dipped on every Icterine in this area for the last 2 years. :C

I will still be out in the field for the next one.

Dave

Hi Ian,

I'm glad you had such a good day. The reason for posting the photos of the "yellow-footed grey-legged warbler" was just to highlight that there was a bit of collective hysteria going on with at least one of the later claims.

Mind you there could be some jealousy involved as I have dipped on every Icterine in this area for the last 2 years. :C

I will still be out in the field for the next one.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I am pleased you did post the picture it permitted me to pass comment, anyway surely size of bill and of the bird should always eliminate this type of error. We were fortunate in that there were 2 Chiifys flitting about at the same time when we found the bird - and i agree that hysteria seems to have ruled.

I had dipped my fair share before yesterday, it made finding it myself all the sweeter. I hope you will get the same thrill soon!

Ian

Bird was not a melodious warbler

• The bird I saw had too long a bill, dagger like and pale coloured below.
  • I could not see an eye-stripe which would suggest a willow warbler. (Some reported hippos turn out to be willow warblers.)
  • A medium shade of grey legs.
  • Yellow / green body.
  • Bird did arch its neck, to confirm it being bigger than willow-chiff. This to feed on the berries below the right of the two conifers.
  • I always think of hippo warblers as being like small bananas. ;) not like phylloscs.

Bird reluctant to show openly unlike the willow warbler, two chiffchaffs and the "yellow and greenless" reed warbler.

Do not know what to make of the melodious warbler report and or sighting. Perhaps they saw the icterine?

I hoped my sighting and the better early one would lead to a later clinching sighting.

It was not to be. The icterine showed at 720 and once or twice soon after 10 (as did two chiffchaffs which showed well as the presumed icterine warbler skulked).

A confusing willow warbler and a not confusable reed warbler were what I saw after that.

Last edited:
Bird was not a melodious warbler
Cheers Paul - glad we've established that... but given your earlier doubt and observation of no pale wing-panel, is it also possible that the bird you saw around 10 o'clock wasn't an Icterine Warbler either?

• (Some reported hippos turn out to be willow warblers.)
  • A medium shade of grey legs.
Yes... or Chiffchaffs?

• Bird did arch its neck, to confirm it being bigger than willow-chiff. This to feed on the berries below the right of the two conifers.
I'm sure I'm just being dim but I fail to see why a bird arching its neck confirms that it's bigger than willow-chiff. What am I missing?

• I always think of hippo warblers as being like small bananas. ;) not like phylloscs.
Personally I've never made the connection between either Icterine or Melodious Warbler and a small banana, but maybe I've not seen enough of them yet ;) Are you saying you saw something that looked like a small banana?

Icterine present am only juv willow warbler most of the day!

the pictures of the bird attached to this thread is not the bird we watched.
Ian

Melodious Warbler- similar experience to the above, I was hoping to see an Icterine and turned up at 10ish to see 3 people, one photographing 'the' bird enthusiastically, it was clearly a yellow juv willow warbler. On the way back to the car a message came through saying that it was showing again, once I got there, there were various mutterings that the bird looked slightly larger than chiff etc, but as soon as all the birders turned up there was no sign. Not accusing anyone of stringing but it seems odd that the bird was present for 6hrs but then disappeared when birders went to see it. It does happen and if this is the case I bet the finder is annoyed, but it looks as if this may be a dodgy record, a photo would nicely prove otherwise though!

I did not think the photo was of the bird I considered a probable icterine warbler. Bill too short, face too well marked around the back of the eye.

Agree the willow warbler was a yellow juvenile.
The second (fourth if both chiffchaffs included!!) was not as yellow as the claimed refound icterine warbler.

Many gave the shout in the afternoon when the willow warbler came into view on its circuit. Two much yellow on it and showing too well.

A probable icterine is the bird I am commenting on. Kept low so unable to clinch it.

ID not always straightforward

A probable icterine is the bird I am commenting on. Kept low so unable to clinch it.

Probable icterine as the willow warbler was around at the time.

I did see an icterine in 2010 at the umpteenth attempt didn't I?? Wasn't a willow warbler??

Melodious warbler - the Melodious sighting muddies the waters even more. Never could I claim my washed out yellow (or yellow-green according to the light) grey-legged bird going to be my first Norfolk melodious warbler.

Cheers Paul - glad we've established that... but given your earlier doubt and observation of no pale wing-panel, is it also possible that the bird you saw around 10 o'clock wasn't an Icterine Warbler either?

Yes... or Chiffchaffs?

I'm sure I'm just being dim but I fail to see why a bird arching its neck confirms that it's bigger than willow-chiff. What am I missing?

Personally I've never made the connection between either Icterine or Melodious Warbler and a small banana, but maybe I've not seen enough of them yet ;) Are you saying you saw something that looked like a small banana?

Banana comment was tongue-in-cheek. Bird looked too long for willow-chiff and even longer with neck strained.

Icterine or not icterine that is the question
Pain the neck that sends you bananas:eek!:;)

Going bananas ?

"Wouldn't all sightings of bananas be ship -assisted?"

No ! Only the fruits themselves.

Is it now being claimed that there was also a Blyth's Reed present, with the mentioning of bananas ? Or am I taking the wrong posture ?

This might be of use - I entered the wood from Lady Annes Drive just after 10 (maybe about 10.15 ish) and there was a crowd of about 20 people gazing into a ivy clad pine tree. Not having a pager I knew nothing of what had been reported, so enquired to the group and got no reply...I followed, however some directions into the ivy and saw a warbler working its way up the tree. It was a willow warbler albeit quite brown on the back, but with pale yellow on the breast, obvious dark eye stripe and supercilium and pale bare parts. Someone mentioned Icterine and I informed the nearest observer it was a Willow warbler, which everyone seemed to ignore so I wandered off, wondering how Icterine could have even be considered, taking into account its face markings, wing length, lack of wing panel and its bright legs. I thought the only thing that looked a bit odd was that it was moving rather sluggishly and it did look rather brown, but nothing to suggest a 'hippo'. Returning later in the afternoon having heard the report of the Melodious, I was intrigued to see if this rarity was the same bird that had been observed earlier. When the shout eventually piped up that it was back (by someone who had seen it 'mid morning') it was indeed the same Willow Warbler that had been misidentified earlier. Don't know whether this helps or hinders anyones view on what they saw in the morning.

Andy Bloomfield

........Are you saying you saw something that looked like a small banana?

Dave - I have been in uncontrollable laughter - just opened this thread and between you, John Furse and Pete Doulton I have been in hysterics:-O:-O:-O:-O:-O THANKS EVERYONE!!!:t::t:

P.S. I will be posting a nice yellowy willow warbler that I took at the Cross tracks at Holkham yesterday on my blog later.;)

Last edited:
Arrived Kelling Water Meadows at 7.55am after a nippy journey from King's Lynn in the Audi A3!!! I daren't confess how quickly I got here - its a good job the car is being returned tomorrow morning really!

Rain looked imminent so put all the waterproofs on and set off down the track. A chiffchaff was calling along the path and a few linnets and Siskens flew overhead. Watched the Red necked Phalerope at 8.30am and until 9.10am. A kestrel sat on the fence wire near the pool. Searched up the track that diverts left by the pool, for the Barred Warbler that was there yesterday, but no luck. Stood up on the shingle ridge to admire the view, weather much brighter now. Trudged back to the car in the mud and puddles and had a quick look in the bookshop/tearooms opposite just so I could use the loo!

Parked at the Iron Road (track opposite Sarbury Hill) and walked up the hill and round by the field side. Through a gap in the hedge I watched yellowhammers, chafffinches, greenfinches, a tit flock, blackbirds, robins and 2 Redwings feeding off Sloe berries.

Lunch at the Cley NWT Visitor Centre: Jacket Potato with cheese and coleslaw + Salad.

Walsey Hills - as soon as I parked up it started to rain heavily. I don't mind birding in the rain at all, but I couldn't see the point in getting wet when there's not much about. I waited for the rain to stop and slept and snoozed, woke up, re-snoozed - 2 hours passed!!! Rain stopped. Walked round Walsey Hills - nothing of note apart from the usual tit flock of great, blue, coal and long tailed tits and chiffchaffs and robins.

Parked the car at Old Woman's Lane and walked to Daukes' Hide. Eddie M. was also in the hide along with a few other birders. This was the best part of the day, the sun shone beautifully. The Red-necked Phalerope that had been at Kelling was now here on Simmonds' Scrape, very distantly until 6.10pm. A posing Wheatear sat on the fence/wire for me to photograph (see pic). Marsh harriers majestically glided over the reed beds and 2 Spoonbills flew east over the scrape. A kestrel hovered directly in front of the hide.

Left here at 6.15pm and drove home.

No car after tomorrow morning!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Bananas

Here is a very poor photo of a bird causing confusion on Sat morning. Interestingly it doesnt show any prominent head markings...
Feet are conveniently covered by two twigs but they were bright, with darker legs.
It's not a banana.

Attachments

• W1.jpg
    W1.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 260

Users who are viewing this thread

Back