• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2019 (2 Viewers)

Right on schedule, I heard a few

85. Swainson's Thrush

flight calls last night. A moon-watch produced 40 birds in 20 minutes. Best birds were 1 or two cuckoo sp (either would be yard lifer, but let's be real about identifying moon flybys!).

25) Northern Parula

I'm nearing the western edge of their typical range and only have a few trees that are pretty short, so I didn't have high hopes for attracting non-feeder birds so this was a very pleasant surprise!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

26) Tufted titmouse
Finally able to pick one out from the many hybrids in my area

Ooh, what do they hybridise with h?

First day back after our latest Armenia trip and an extremely overdue:

79 Common Treecreeper

in our apple tree. My wife saw one just 100m away back in March and they're usually around all year so I must get to the opticians I guess.....

Crikey, Ken, I've had over a hundred go through in the last week or two. And Greenfinches daily.

You're still way ahead of me, despite this being my best year.

Well H, during a movement of Swallows and Martins this am, I had two more Greenfinches past, that were soon followed by circa a dozen Mipits!...no.83.

Ooh, what do they hybridise with h?

First day back after our latest Armenia trip and an extremely overdue:

79 Common Treecreeper

in our apple tree. My wife saw one just 100m away back in March and they're usually around all year so I must get to the opticians I guess.....
I live in the small sliver of Texas where the black-crested titmouse hybridizes with the tufted titmouse of the east, producing a bird with a grayish-brown forehead and gray crest, rather than a black forehead and gray crest with the TTM, or gray forehead and black crest of the BCTM.

Bit of a higgledy piggledy year so far, and not really taken part.

Down in France (Vianne, nr Agen in the SW) at the parents for the week, so ...

Got in late the evening of the 26th. Out in the garden much of the day just chilling Fri 27th.

Great Tit
Blue Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Chiffchaff c4
Willow Warbler
Blackcap 4
Blackbird
Starling c100 flying around
House Sparrow
Cirl Bunting
Goldfinch
Chaffinch 2s
Collared Dove
Woodpigeon
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Buzzard 4
Kestrel 1 distant m
Black Redstart
Nuthatch (h)
Carrion Crow
Magpie
Jay
Swallow
Marsh Harrier male south
Green Woodpecker (h)
Hobby 2
Sand Martin
House Martin
29- White Wagtail 3

A cracking start to the day whilst getting dressed and hearing a persistent squeaky piping call outside - peering through the side of the window and seeing a smart Kingfisher 10 feet away in the Pear Tree. Bit surprising too, although they do visit the pond over the other side of the house.

30. Kingfisher
31. Cattle Egret 64 south
32. Robin
33. Pied Flycatcher f
34. Jackdaw 2 over
35. Firecrest (h)
36. Grey Wagtail 1 on the drive
37. Greenfinch
38. Red Kite 2 south
39. Black Stork 1 south
40. Sparrowhawk

Nuthatch upgraded to seen, with one on the neighbours Fig Tree (either eating figs or inverts therein). Actually the first I've seen here ...

A bit of raptor passage mid-afternoon, with a very distant kettle of 15+ , 2 of which were white when catching the sun, so maybe more storks involved, possibly. Six species all told, with Hobby present on and off and another male Marsh Harier through around dusk. Lots of hirundines (again) - the vast majority Swallows (over a thousand in the air at one point), although a group of 50 House Martin through too at one stage. The Pied Fly was especially nice, hanging around all day on the washing line, picnic table etc.

Here's someone else who might need something from optician...

Anyway, I've been a bit lazy to write and read the forum (must read Richards trip report from Armenia at some point), but here is my garden sightings from September:

#66. Blackcap - 14. September. Rare visitor in our garden, usually in the autumns and this was first ad male.
#67. Spotted Flycatcher - 14. Sept. Garden lifer! B :)
#68. Chiffchaff - 21.Sept. Regular visitor this time of year. This week I've seen one or two everyday.

Migrating Barnacles have started to fly over. Hopefully I see someday some other Geese as well.

PS. Photo from couple of autumn visitors. LWT looks like it would think, "Should I eat one more plum?"

Attachments

• abacP1260018.jpg
    abacP1260018.jpg
    587.6 KB · Views: 26
  • abacP1260103.jpg
    abacP1260103.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Nothing new but this year my garden is exactly under the flightpath of a minor Mipit movement - a count of 41 in grotty conditions this morning being the best so far.

Unfortunately it is just mipits, though other things might join them a bit later.

Steve

Many years ago, I excavated a large pool, stocked it with small fish and planted a few shrubs on its margins ...perfect I thought for a wandering Kingfisher ...did have a Kingfisher on my forest pool some years ago, but here we are, near ten years later, one finally arrived on my specially created pool -perching on the said overhanging bushes and catching the little fish :)

Been a bit lazy to update recently, also had plenty of Goldcrest moving through in the last week or so, plus one more Red-footed Falcon.

125. Kingfisher
126. Goldcrest

Lost track of where we are after a long period with no additions. However recent highlights include several jays, curlew and a nice flock of barnacle geese on Saturday as I fed the birds. These were rather eclipsed by a new garden mammal yesterday afternoon - our first red squirrel! Been hoping for one since we moved here but hitherto only greys. Now for pine marten!

Rob

Many years ago, I excavated a large pool, stocked it with small fish and planted a few shrubs on its margins ...perfect I thought for a wandering Kingfisher ...did have a Kingfisher on my forest pool some years ago, but here we are, near ten years later, one finally arrived on my specially created pool -perching on the said overhanging bushes and catching the little fish :)

Been a bit lazy to update recently, also had plenty of Goldcrest moving through in the last week or so, plus one more Red-footed Falcon.

125. Kingfisher
126. Goldcrest

That's one well-deserved garden bird!!

A long long overdue garden tick this morning - a great black-back. Definitely overlooked previously!
More notable were the 1000 or so Barnacle geese that flew over yesterday evening.

Rob

40. Sparrowhawk

29/09 -

41. Black Kite am
42. Grey Heron pm

30/09 -

43. Serin 3
44. Song Thrush

Firecrest upgraded to 'seen'.

Today, 01/10 -

45. Short-toed Treecreeper - a vocal twosome in the Eucalyptus trees just outside the garden
46. Linnet 4 south
47. Osprey 2 south

Green Woodpecker upgraded to seen. Comparatively very few hirundines the last few days (or at least not feeding in the area) - maybe a couple hundred at most Swallows south, with some definite House Martins too (more martin sp tbh). Hobby daily (presume local breeders), another (juv) Marsh Harrier east. The two Osprey the first time I can recall seeing more than one migrating together (they always seem to be singletons in spring passage at least).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back