• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Village Creek Drying Beds, Dallas - Harris's Sparrow (1 Viewer)

Hi All

I am visiting Dallas in December on business. I am keen to see Harris's Sparrow and see that the Village Creek Drying Beds seem to be a reliable spot for them (already up to 6 in November on ebird). I have had a look at the site on Google and is the access to the site over the gate off NW Green Oaks BLVD? Is this a public site or is it private as on Google Street View it looks as if it might be private. Any tips on birding this site and where to see Harris Sparrow once inside would be greatly appreciated. Or, is there a better site in Dallas for them, perhaps where they might come to a feeder?
Thanks in advance.
Simon

It is run by the city but I think it is generally open during daylight hours. If you look it up in the city (or tarrant county?) website it may tell you for sure. I always just went on the weekends but have never been during the week. Not sure I saw one there, but I'm sure they are around. I lived in Fort Worth for the last year, until a few months ago, and reliably found them in Northwest community park in blue mound and marine creek lake pretty much every time I went. If those locations aren't too far out of the way and you want more info, let me know.

Hello

Thanks for the response. I am staying in the centre near to the Dallas World Aquarium so I think around 50 minutes from NW Community Park. I can see on eBird that they are regularly seen at the park, where are Blue Mound and Marine Creek within the park - would be good to have this as a back up site if the Village Creek Drying Beds fail to produce.

At marine creek lake, you can park either behind the high school or community college depending on when you get there. A paved trail goes around the lake, so if you park on the east side, head north. A bridge crosses the lake at the north end and I would usually see them within 100 yards before or after the bridge.
At NW community park, a trail runs a loop along the south side of the lake and then along the prairie. You can usually find them in the SW corner of the lake, near where the trail turns away from the lake. There is a little dirt path toward the lake and this is a good place for them. Then, near the SW corner of the loop, there is another little trail that goes into the prairie a bit and past a few small stands of trees and bushes. This is another really good spot. Good luck!
0240872a4fb005fe414a4e3fbb8ac507.jpg
11c9ee7bb1f2e8de1bc1a4ada00dd597.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back