• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Somerset Birding (1 Viewer)

we are thinking of spending a few days in Somerset this November with plenty of time for birding - can anybody recommend where we should go? or even better stay?

Hi Alexander

The Somerset Levels and the Bridgwater Bay National Nature Reserve have to be among the top attractions in the county, in my opinion. If you're planning to be around in November then the starlings at Westhay should be on your list too - see this pdf if your not familiar with them: http://www.somersetwildlife.org/pdf library/Westhay_starling_08_09.pdf

Last edited:
Alexander,

Chew Valley lake nr Bristol is always worth an hour or two, good numbers of winter visitors starting to turn up now and it's had a few surprises turn up lately.

check out www.cvlbirding.co.uk for the latest updates. You can get a day permit for the hides, there are details on this site of where to get them.

Most Somerset birders probably just haven't twigged that this forum is here - I hadn't until very recently. For lots of info on Somerset birding, including a sightings messageboard, site info etc, plus links to other sites maintained by local birders, try www.somersetbirds.net

The Avalon Marshes complex is a brilliant set of wetland reserves - Shapwick Heath (including Meare Heath) NNR, Ham Wall RSPB, Catcott Lows SWT, and Westhay Moor SWT/NNR - and now there's Greylake RSPB reserve too. It's easy to get a bit blase about what's on your doorstep, but the very kind comments from visiting birders this summer, especially when the Little Bittern was around, were a timely reminder. The recent colonisation by such birds as Bittern and Bearded Tit, to mention just two, are the just reward for all the time and effort the various wardens and volunteers have put in over the years to create and maintain these reserves out of old peat diggings.

Add in Exmoor for upland birds (and the Quantocks and Mendip too) plus a variety of coastal habitats, and there's interest year-round, though it'll never compete with some other counties in rarity terms (rare passerines in particular are rare indeed). Good fun to bird, though.

A very neglected forum I must admit, it would be nice (personally) if we could get this one up and running a bit more regularly. I know there are lots of sites covering the local area (a few mentioned here) but it would be nice to share here too. I'm Bristol based and love water birds so Chew, Blagdon, Cheddar and Barrow are my local patch with the odd excursion to the Severn estuary.

Just a thought...

I too would like to see more postings for Somerset.
But how do we define the area to be covered?
Since they did away with Avon my Somerset birding covers Somerset, North Somerset and Bath and Northeast Somerset (BANES).
Do we include all three?
I would personally hope so.

I too would like to see more postings for Somerset.
But how do we define the area to be covered?
Since they did away with Avon my Somerset birding covers Somerset, North Somerset and Bath and Northeast Somerset (BANES).
Do we include all three?
I would personally hope so.

How about using the Avon and Somerset police boundary?

A question from me - can anyone point me on the direction of a good location for watching and photographing waders on the coast around here. Somewhere which is kind of quiet without too many passers by or dog walkers and of course somewhere with a decent amount of birds.

I've tried Severn Beach and Clevedon but wondered if there was anywhere else anyone can recommend.

Chalky

How about using the Avon and Somerset police boundary?

A question from me - can anyone point me on the direction of a good location for watching and photographing waders on the coast around here. Somewhere which is kind of quiet without too many passers by or dog walkers and of course somewhere with a decent amount of birds.

I've tried Severn Beach and Clevedon but wondered if there was anywhere else anyone can recommend.

Chalky

You could try the Axe Estuary at Uphill out of holiday season ( Not this weekend as they are staging the enduro at Weston)
Sand bay,Burnham, Berrow and Brean Down offer possibilities.
Inland, Chew Lakes,Blagdon and Shapwick are good places.

Anywhere round Bridgwater Bay is likely to be good, but it is a big area, and therefore it's easy to miss the birds. Depending on where you're starting from, you could try Steart (on the west side) or the Huntspill.
Even Hinkley Point can be pretty good (and sometimes has good gulls too).

Josh,

still worth the trip though as lots of good stuff at the various somerset reserves as Pabz link will confirm. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Is the Furruginous Duck at Chew Valley Lake considered an escape of genuine wild bird?
Cheers

This isn't a definetive answer Josh but I've never heard of it being considered an escapee. It's usually hanging around at some distance but you might get lucky, there's a couple of photos in my gallery of my 'close encounters', check here for the latest Chew updates which give its whereabouts if its been seen. Be aware that you'll need a permit for the hides, details on the website.

www.cvlbirding.co.uk

Chalky

Edit: I forgot to say that there's a Ring Necked Duck at nearby Blagdon Lake at the moment, the chew permit also gives access to Blagdon.

Last edited:
Well, I looked for the Cattle Egrets for 3 hours, never saw them. Then had a Great White Egret at Shapwick, which was nice, but barely compensation...never got to Chew or Blagdon...ah well.

Attachments

• SNV33894 2.jpg
    SNV33894 2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 110
Cattle Egrets seem to alternate between Shapwick and Ham Wall.
Glossy Ibises reported at Westhay levels and Catcott Lows yesterday.

Well, I looked for the Cattle Egrets for 3 hours, never saw them. Then had a Great White Egret at Shapwick, which was nice, but barely compensation...never got to Chew or Blagdon...ah well.

surely GWE is better than cattle egret, they are everywhere these days! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back