• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

resolution/sharpness compromise in 32mm objective binoculars?? (1 Viewer)

Arthur,
You're right. I got carried away there and created a new super-hybrid binocular!. I meant, of course, the 8 x 30 EII. I've never had the opportunity to use a Nikon 8 x 32 SE, but I will defer to those who know and concede that the SE is better than the 8 x 30 EII. It is possible to have everything, just not practical.
Cordially,
Bob :hi:

AlanFrench said:
I think weight can influence our ability to hold a binocular steady. I find I can hold my reasonably heavy 7x42s steadier than my little, lightweight 8x21s, and I don't think it is the slightly higher power that hinders my ability - I think it is the light weight. If I decide to go for a pair of 8x32s someday, I will certainly have to try a pair and see how well I can hold them. YMMV.

Clear skies, Alan

I'll have to agree with you there Alan.

My Leica 7 x 42 Trinovids (more than reasonably heavy) hunker down in the palms of my hands like a cat taking an afternoon nap. Talk about inertia! Nothing moves! You don't mind that kind of weight. Not front heavy, not back heavy, just heavy and dead centered heavy at that.

Bob :cat:

Last edited:
[very briefly,in norwich once while comparing with the 8x42,as you will know comparing binoculars from an inner city highstreet store cannot give an acurate idea of an instruments true optical quality.]

Matt

Have you been to Viking Optics on Timber Hill? I was comparing 10×25's there in Jan this year and you can get a pretty good view/comparison over the city from outside the shop. Haven't been in there for a while so I don't know if they currently stock the models you are looking at.

Nick Elliston said:
[very briefly,in norwich once while comparing with the 8x42,as you will know comparing binoculars from an inner city highstreet store cannot give an acurate idea of an instruments true optical quality.]

Matt

Have you been to Viking Optics on Timber Hill? I was comparing 10×25's there in Jan this year and you can get a pretty good view/comparison over the city from outside the shop. Haven't been in there for a while so I don't know if they currently stock the models you are looking at.

thats the one,friendly little shop..bit pricey though.

as you say there is a good view looking down timber hill,when looking at bins I usually like to focus on distant dead trees,leaves,mud or maybe even a bird.

the pigeons that flock in the middle of norwich are great for trying out binos!

the best shop for viewing binoculars or scopes by far has to be cley spy in norfolk,the shop is essentially located in converted farmyard buildings in the middle of the north norfolk countryside..well worth a visit.

matt

matt green said:
the best shop for viewing binoculars or scopes by far has to be cley spy in norfolk,the shop is essentially located in converted farmyard buildings in the middle of the north norfolk countryside..well worth a visit.

matt
In that area, you could add In Focus and the RSPB shop, both at Titchwell - and both offer truly excellent viewing facilities and good prices.

scampo said:
In that area, you could add In Focus and the RSPB shop, both at Titchwell - and both offer truly excellent viewing facilities and good prices.

indeed, though In Focus wouldn't be much use for comparing the bins being discussed as they don't stock Leica.

matt green said:
thanks for those thoughts folks...

to be honest I wish I still had the leica 8x32 ba's I purchased secondhand
from cley spy a couple of years ago,at that time I was still playing the field and searching for the 'perfect binocular',I have since learnt that such a thing does not exist.

only the short eye relief of the leica 8x32's prevent them from being 'the ultimate bin',however i've always considered the 8x32 the ideal 'naturalists'
binoculars.

a leica 7x32 trinovid or ultravid with a larger exit pupil and about 18mm eye relief would be nice no....?

matt

Hi Matt,

I regrettably sold a pair of the old style Leitz Trinovid ( 7 x 32 OR higher, I cannot remember ) and yes,they were an amazing image with all the good points you mention - even though they weren't waterproof or particularly close focusing.
The nearest similar specification is the Opticron BGA Classic 7 x 36 - a very good bino but not quite in the league of Leica or Swaro' i.m.o.

Someday the perfect bin for me will be here but not quite yet - perhaps someone will start a thread on the ultimate bino for birding.... mine would be the optics of the Zeiss 8 x 32 Victory FL but in 7 x 32, with the focus of a Nikon HGL and the double hinging of a Swaro' EL or Zeiss Dialyt.....sorry to leave out Leica, (perhaps the red dot) for fashion or hype!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back