• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Donegal (1 Viewer)

Tory Trip 1st June

Rather late but here is the Derry trio's bird list for 1st June. Quite a rough sea with swells up to 10 ft. Highlight of the day was Great Shearwater & at least 6 Basking Shark. See attached bird list. It was nice to meet Dublin birder Mark Stewart.

Roger Murray, Theo Campbell, Richard Smith

Richard Smith

Attachments

• Tory_Island_Trip_01-1.docx
    11.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Rather late but here is the Derry trio's bird list for 1st June. Quite a rough sea with swells up to 10 ft. Highlight of the day was Great Shearwater & at least 6 Basking Shark. See attached bird list. It was nice to meet Dublin birder Mark Stewart.

Roger Murray, Theo Campbell, Richard Smith

Richard Smith

Thanks for that Richard

Not much in the way of recorded visits to Tory this year?
I hope to get over next week.
Looking forward to an autumn trip or two this year, never know what may turn up.

Richard

Arranmore Magheroarty & Blanket Nook

Southerly winds made our trip to Arranmore Island a bit of a damp squib. Overcast conditions with sea mist and low cloud spoiled birding. No sign of the Snowy Owl & no seabirds other than a few Gannets & gulls.

Walked the Burtonport Railway track footpath which offers excellent bird habitat. Must return next spring.

Sunday 22nd
Stopped at Bloody Foreland to check for anything passing. Wrong wind direction, still strong southerlies. Moved on to Magheroarty. It was good with many gulls feeding also Sanderling, Turnstone, & Oystercatcher.

New Lake devoid of duck, a few Mute Swan. On to Blanket Nook. An entirely different day, sunshine & 21c.

2 Bairds Sandpiper
3 Curlew Sandpiper
1 White Front Goose

Large flocks of Golden Plover & Lapwing.
Greylag Geese, 2 Whooper Swans
Bar Tailed Godwit, Black Tailed Godwit, Gt Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Teal, Mallard.

The call at Blanket Nook (on our doorstep) turned a trying weekend into a good one.

Richard Smith & Theo Campbell

Last edited:
2013 Tory Island Bird Report

Its now available... just email me at [email protected]. Its 50MB in size. I cant quite figure out why!!but its downloadable from google drive. There will also be a hard copy available to purchase in the coming weeks. I will let you know the details....

2011 Tory Island Bird Report

The printed edition of the 2011 Tory Island Bird Report is available to order now. It was previously only available as a download. Chris Ingram has kindly arranged to get the report printed. All proceeds from the sale of the report will go to charity.

Anyone who is interested in buying a copy should contact Chris at [email protected]

Tory Island Autumn 2014

Looks to have been quite a good Autumn on Tory so far. I'd appreciate if anyone visiting would post their sightings or a link to other reports here.
Many thanks,

Richard

2014 Tory Bird Report

Please find the online version attached. The printed version should be available early in March and will contain more photos and hopefully an article about the Eastern Yellow Wagtail

Attachments

• 2014 Tory Bird report online version.pdf
    11.8 MB · Views: 164
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back