• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Announcing January 2004 Theme/Challenge... (1 Viewer)

bcurrie

The theme/challenge this month is BEST BIRD IN YOUR YARD

Entries to be uploaded directly by entrants to the Monthly Photo Competitions 2004 Gallery.
Fill in the information fields ensuring that the rules below are adhered to and then hit 'submit'.

Please read the rules CAREFULLY - non compliance will lead to entry disqualification.

1. Entries to be taken between 1st Jan. 2004 and 24.00 GMT 24th Jan. 2004.
2. Date taken to be included in the entry.
3. Entries to be uploaded between 5th-24th.
4. Entries must be your own work.
5. Photos can be no more than 100 kb uploaded.
6. Dimensions cannot exceed 307,200 eg. 640x480, 480x640 etc....
7. The common name of the bird(s) MUST be given.
8. Location taken (town, county / state, country).
9. The subject must be wild and alive when taken.
10. Maximum of two entries per member.
11. Only minor image adjustment is permitted, such as cropping, sharpening, contrast, and levels. The photo must not be otherwise greatly manipulated ie. objects should not be added / removed in order to enhance the shot.
12. Once uploaded a photo is classed as an entry and cannot be replaced by another shot. However, you have until the closing date/time of this competition to ensure that your photo meets criteria.
13. A voting booth will be posted at the close of the competition.
14. Comments are permitted at any time.
15. As we allowed before, if you are confined due to living in an apartment/flat, then you may take the photo from a NEIGHBOR'S yard (don't get religious on me just for this, your neighbor lives nearby you! ;) )

Please note that scientific name and details of equipment used / camera settings are no longer a requirement, but they are still requested.

Whilst it is only a fun competition the rules are in place to try to even the playing field so that more members can enter.

A helpful hint:
1) Don't make it too cluttered.

Last edited:
seb_seb said:
I dont have a yard....
Use next doors,or the nearest yard you can find.There must be one somewhere.Only don't appear over someones wall waving a camera around or you may be arrested:eek!: Ask permission first;)
Christine.

Originally Posted by bcurrie
The theme this month is "BEST BIRD IN YOUR YARD".

Does this mean that the bird must be touching something in my yard? How about flying? At what point is it considered no longer in your yard?

Bill

Re: As far as missing something, nope, that was my fault, now corrected.

As far as not having a yard, Christine is spot on. (Rule #15)

Bill, good question. I will consult with Ian on that one and let you know.

My answer is that it has to be in your yard as in touching it, either on feeders, walls, fences, bushes, trees, pond or ground.

Flight shots are likey to figure in due course in another theme challenge.

You can't enter until the 5th so it doesn't count. It will be removed so you can upload it again - within the competition dates ;)

Hi Jules,

Any of the above. Can be a single bird or group of birds of any species as long as they're are wild and in your garden / yard.

IanF

I dropped a clanger!.
My Robin is 800x600. I have deleted this and resubmitted it as 640x480?. Or am I disqualified?.

Last edited:
Faith may be misplaced. I have resized the photo for you Gaukur, but the old one now ahs a broken link. Admin are on the job to get that image removed.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back