• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (2 Viewers)

A few pics from my recent holiday to Mallorca which sadly came to end last Saturday. Great time as usual. Missed out on the rollers but still managed to see some great birds. Are there less woodchat shrikes around? - only seen 3 in the week staying near the Bocquer. Mick

Wow! Fantastic images. Well done.

As for the Woodchats. I saw more this Spring than in previous years. So probably a case of right place and time.

Also for Cristina, these 2 guys were fishing early morning at La Gola, the lady was not with them. 24 April.
steve.

Thank you for the info :(
Although there are no-fishing signs some people do it.
Regards,
Cristina.

Hi Mick!
The photo of the BR Thrush with the gecko is a very interesting record.
:)

This is the second year in a row where I have witnessed a female BR Thrush take geckos. Not sure if it's the same bird or not (as in the same area) but it seemed to favour them over insects / beetles. Mick

Wow! Fantastic images. Well done.

As for the Woodchats. I saw more this Spring than in previous years. So probably a case of right place and time.

Thanks but I have plenty of 'duff blurry' images. Luckily a few came out ok.

With regards to the shrikes it Just seemed strange I was out birding each day but seen only a few. I'll have to try harder or stay out longer!!

Blue Rock Thrush - Gecko

This is the second year in a row where I have witnessed a female BR Thrush take geckos. Not sure if it's the same bird or not (as in the same area) but it seemed to favour them over insects / beetles. Mick

Many years ago (1st May 2000) I witnessed Blue Rock Thrush with a Gecko on Formentor peninsula.

Mark

After seven days at Puerto de Pollenca, just a summary of our visit:

Firstly two unsavoury experiences - at the S'Albufereta near Torrent de Sant Jordi on the main road, we were targeted by pickpockets who got very close to us but we had our wits about us and kept a good distance from them. Later in the week on the Friday at Alcudia Old Town whilst awaiting a bus a team of pickpockets tried again. This time getting much closer before I spotted the hand manoeuvre. We made a commotion and they disappeared rapidly.

Sunday 19 May - S'Albufereta's back lanes - produced a single Bee-eater, Squacco, a flypast Hoopoe, a single Woodchat Shrike and 2 Booted Eagles.

Monday 20 May - Albufera - Night Heron after much hard work, 6 Eleanora Falcons, half a dozen Bee-eaters at Son Bosc, Glossy Ibis, a successful hunting Osprey and Zitting Cisticola (I've always wanted to type this!).

Tuesday 21 May - S'Albufereta, Can Cuarrassa - walking along the lanes there were Thekla Larks, just 1 Tawny Pippet, Whinchat and Black and Griffon Vultures overhead. The best find however was a single Stone Curlew that stood almost motionless for at least 5 minutes. A walk to Cala de Sant Vicenc turned up a surprise Bonelli's Eagle above the cliffs.

Wednesday 22 May - Ternelles valley - this excursion may not be everyone's cup of tea as you spend over 4 hours walking up the valley with a guide and a small group of other people most of which were not birders. Nevertheless, great views of Black Vultures (5), 3 of which perched on the side of the cliffs giving everyone great views through the scope. Several views of Booted Eagles.

Thursday 23 May - Cuber - after walking over the dam from the east bank we heard an unfamiliar song and after standing around for a few minutes we eventually found a male Subalpine Warbler in the shrubbery. Two Griffon Vultures soared overhead. Along the west bank we heard the kyee-kyee-kyee of the Wryneck although we were unable to find the bird. On the way to Cuber early morning just after Lluc we had a Pine Marten run across the road in front of us. In the afternoon a quick visit to Boquer Valley produced a Balearic Warbler.

Friday 24 May - S'Albufereta - behind the Club Pollentia resort we found Yellow and a Blue-headed Wagtail. Whilst walking to the hide behind the swimming pool in the ditch to the right there was a Viper.

All in all, a successful trip, with thanks to Christina at La Gola for pointing us in the right directions on occasions.

Majorca April 2019

Couple more shots of the rodent, didn't see any dark around the eye so think maybe a roof rat that Christina has posted.
Water rail 27th albufereta.
Hoopoe 27th salbufera.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_4987 (640x457).jpg
    IMG_4987 (640x457).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4996 (640x459).jpg
    IMG_4996 (640x459).jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5201.jpg
    IMG_5201.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5491 (640x458).jpg
    IMG_5491 (640x458).jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 21
After seven days at Puerto de Pollenca, just a summary of our visit:

Firstly two unsavoury experiences - at the S'Albufereta near Torrent de Sant Jordi on the main road, we were targeted by pickpockets who got very close to us but we had our wits about us and kept a good distance from them. Later in the week on the Friday at Alcudia Old Town whilst awaiting a bus a team of pickpockets tried again. This time getting much closer before I spotted the hand manoeuvre. We made a commotion and they disappeared rapidly.

Sunday 19 May - S'Albufereta's back lanes - produced a single Bee-eater, Squacco, a flypast Hoopoe, a single Woodchat Shrike and 2 Booted Eagles.

Monday 20 May - Albufera - Night Heron after much hard work, 6 Eleanora Falcons, half a dozen Bee-eaters at Son Bosc, Glossy Ibis, a successful hunting Osprey and Zitting Cisticola (I've always wanted to type this!).

Tuesday 21 May - S'Albufereta, Can Cuarrassa - walking along the lanes there were Thekla Larks, just 1 Tawny Pippet, Whinchat and Black and Griffon Vultures overhead. The best find however was a single Stone Curlew that stood almost motionless for at least 5 minutes. A walk to Cala de Sant Vicenc turned up a surprise Bonelli's Eagle above the cliffs.

Wednesday 22 May - Ternelles valley - this excursion may not be everyone's cup of tea as you spend over 4 hours walking up the valley with a guide and a small group of other people most of which were not birders. Nevertheless, great views of Black Vultures (5), 3 of which perched on the side of the cliffs giving everyone great views through the scope. Several views of Booted Eagles.

Thursday 23 May - Cuber - after walking over the dam from the east bank we heard an unfamiliar song and after standing around for a few minutes we eventually found a male Subalpine Warbler in the shrubbery. Two Griffon Vultures soared overhead. Along the west bank we heard the kyee-kyee-kyee of the Wryneck although we were unable to find the bird. On the way to Cuber early morning just after Lluc we had a Pine Marten run across the road in front of us. In the afternoon a quick visit to Boquer Valley produced a Balearic Warbler.

Friday 24 May - S'Albufereta - behind the Club Pollentia resort we found Yellow and a Blue-headed Wagtail. Whilst walking to the hide behind the swimming pool in the ditch to the right there was a Viper.

All in all, a successful trip, with thanks to Christina at La Gola for pointing us in the right directions on occasions.
Just got back from Mallorca. I was also a target for pick pockets in Alcudia Old Town last Tuesday. Twice I managed to avoid them, but caught off guard on the third and they took my wallet which was in a studded pocket in my cargo trousers. Felt a nip and then gone in seconds. Only lost 2 credit/debit cards that were cancelled within a minute of their loss and about 40 Euros. Please beware of you're visiting here especially on market day which is Sundays and Tuesdays.
On the birding front, saw some good stuff. Didn't see any Balearic Warbler as I have given up searching for them - there's too much else to look for anyway. I only met one couple who actually saw any birds near the viewing platform at Son Real. I didn't bother with the Boquer Valley either. There are far too many people these days about for my liking. Shame as it's a fab scenic spot if nothing else.
Highlights included a flock of 63 Eleonora's Falcons over the South side of Albufera and the escaped Golden Eagle being mobbed by 5 Marsh Harriers
Also a female Red footed Falcon in the middle of Can Pickafort in an empty field scoped from my hotel balcony.
I didn't post any daily sightings as I got a little fed up of receiving emails from private companies who had read my earlier posting and were aware that I was in Mallorca. That's what you get from public forums. Still love The place to death but will not be contributing anything further to the forum due to these intrusions.
Rhys

I didn't post any daily sightings as I got a little fed up of receiving emails from private companies who had read my earlier posting and were aware that I was in Mallorca. That's what you get from public forums. Still love The place to death but will not be contributing anything further to the forum due to these intrusions.
Rhys

I've never had this problem and I don't recall anyone mentioning it previously (although I may be wrong). Perhaps someone with a greater knowledge than I may be able to suggest something as it would be a shame to lose your records.
Martin

Last edited:
I've never had this problem and I don't recall anyone mentioning it previously (although I may be wrong). Perhaps someone with a greater knowledge than I may be able to suggest something as it would be a shame to lose your records.
Martin
Hello all
I have discovered that there are many companies out there who scour public forums like this to see who, when and where people are holidaying. I have received 18 emails over the last fortnight direct to my personal email address from insurance and car hire firms as well as taxi services. I have had a couple through my personal message board via Birdforum which was welcome, so thanks Pere, no offence was intended and I look forward to that beer!
It's a shame that forums like this are exploited. I have never had so many unsolicited messages in one go-to we all get some occasionally as it's the necessary downside to this digital age- and I know that this is nothing to do with Birdforum, but as I stated in an earlier post, public forums are open to this. This is the reason why I distrust them so much. It certainly is no coincidence this all started very shortly after I joined this thread.
Good birding to you all
Rhys

Hello all
I have discovered that there are many companies out there who scour public forums like this to see who, when and where people are holidaying. I have received 18 emails over the last fortnight direct to my personal email address from insurance and car hire firms as well as taxi services. I have had a couple through my personal message board via Birdforum which was welcome, so thanks Pere, no offence was intended and I look forward to that beer!
It's a shame that forums like this are exploited. I have never had so many unsolicited messages in one go-to we all get some occasionally as it's the necessary downside to this digital age- and I know that this is nothing to do with Birdforum, but as I stated in an earlier post, public forums are open to this. This is the reason why I distrust them so much. It certainly is no coincidence this all started very shortly after I joined this thread.
Good birding to you all
Rhys

Sorry to hear you’ve had problems. I can only speak for myself but in the 7 or more years I’ve been posting on this forum I’ve never once had a problem.

Hello all
Good birding to you all
Rhys

It is up to you, but in many years here I havent receive spam emails from the forum.

Last edited:
Me neither Rhys,
Spoonbill 25th salbufera.
Short Toed Lark 26th santa margalida
Egyptian Vulture 27th can cuarasa.
Nightingale 28th.
Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_5496.jpg
    IMG_5496.jpg
    342.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5546.jpg
    IMG_5546.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5910.JPG
    IMG_5910.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5980.jpg
    IMG_5980.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 32
I went to my local lighthouse tonight in search of the elusive Storm Petrel. Thanks to Pep, I was there at the right time, one hour before sunset.
No luck though even though the Shearwaters were close in.
I think Porto Colom may be a better place to watch from so I will go there later this week.
I just managed to get round the corner to hear the Nightjars churring.
Mike

Hello,
This morning a couple of birders have reported one Egyptian Vulture again around camí de Ca na Volantina (next to Torrent de St Jordi). Also a red-rumped Swallow. Then, in Llenaire, a Hobby, Eleonora's Falcon and StoneCurlew.
They have also heard the flock of bee-eaters, quite sure the same group which have been overflying la Gola Park later.

In Finca de Muntanya(in Escorca) one Roller has been seen today.
And 2 White Storks in Casa Blanca (Palma).

Regards,
Cristina.

Rock Trhush

Today on the top peak area of the Puig Major I have seen 4 Common Rock Thrush, singing and kind of territorial, so I guess at least 4 pairs breading there, a very good new.
Also at least 15-18 pairs of wheatears, singing all around.

Attachments

• 191 PasseraVermella.jpg
    191 PasseraVermella.jpg
    954.2 KB · Views: 62
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back