• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Value of some GX85 features for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

DonB

I'm putting together a digiscoping rig and it's unclear how significant some of the GX85 features are.

The cameras that I'm considering are the Sony A6000 or possibly the A6300 and Panasonic GX85. I'll be using a Kowa 664M scope with my Feisol Tournament class tripod and an MVH500AH fluid head.

As I understand it the small scope's light gathering limitations will lead to relatively slow shutter speeds. This in turn means more sensitivity to movement.

The GX85's 5-axis stabilization sounds impressive, and should eliminate the effect of any camera movement. Obviously it won't have an effect of subject movement. On the other hand the better sensitivity and greater dynamic range of the A6000 (and more so the A6300) will enable me to shoot at faster shutter speeds.

Would this more than offset the GX85's stabilization or is the stabilization still an advantage?

Other GX85 features whose usefulness is unclear are the 4K Photo modes. There doesn't seem to be a great advantage over regular burst mode shooting except for possibly the Pre-Burst mode.

This starts recording the 30 fps burst approximately 1 sec. before the shutter is pressed. This sounds perfect for capturing those moments that you notice just as they begin, and by the time you react it's normally too late.

Does any have experience with this feature? My Roland recorder has an analogous feature and I find it's quite useful.

Thanks,

DonB

I have no experience with the cameras you mention but I want to point out that image stabilization is not helpful when using a tripod and may in fact be detrimental, for example, take a look at this article:
http://digital-photography-school.com/image-stabilization-on-tripods/
From what I have read it seems that the Sony A6300 with the proper lens would be good but then the GX85 also has a very good reputation. Before committing to the GX85 I would make sure that the image stabilization can be turned off.

I have no experience with the cameras you mention but I want to point out that image stabilization is not helpful when using a tripod and may in fact be detrimental, for example, take a look at this article:
http://digital-photography-school.com/image-stabilization-on-tripods/
From what I have read it seems that the Sony A6300 with the proper lens would be good but then the GX85 also has a very good reputation. Before committing to the GX85 I would make sure that the image stabilization can be turned off.

I use IS (5-axis is) on my olympus e-m5 and tripod all the time. I rarely can go this low, (birds do move) but I've done it a few times, and without IS, I don't think I could have.

600mm 1/25s

Attachments

• P6020452.jpg
    P6020452.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 304
I too am currently going through the process of building a system. As far as I can see the GX80/85 is lacking for inputs, I.e. no remote shutter controller can be attached. This could be a deal breaker for Digiscoping. You can control the shutter through WiFi and your phone but might be more complex for some.

Last edited:
The GX85 has a port for the cable from of remote release, either Panasonic or aftermarket brand. I got a "Phottix" brand model and it works fine, although I rarely use it because it is a bit of a bother when one is on the move on a birding outing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back