• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

new Papilio II (1 Viewer)

klar

Just started noticing that the 6.5x21 Papilio is being listed as discontinued and the Papilio II is in it's place with some dealers.

Specs are almost the same except for very tiny dimension and fov changes that could be errors, since I can't see why they would change existing machines for such small amounts.

I love my Papilios except for that one problem that's been identified by several users: an internal glare when viewing towards a brighter light source. It isn't so bad that I'd not use the bino but annoying enough, especially since it's probably just a matter of needing better coatings on all air to glass surfaces. Maybe baffling isn't good enough but I think the easiest fix would be full and better coatings.

So I asked one well known dealer about any changes and he thinks they've improved the coatings to 'fully multi-coated', but hasn't had a chance to compare the old vs new.

I'm betting this improvement will be just what the Papilio needed to make it perfect. I'll find out when I buy the II in a few weeks but in the meantime thought I'd throw this out there for anyone that also feels that such an improvement would be great news.

Just wished they'd also made the rubber foot edge on the objective end flat, so that when standing the binos on a table it doesn't wobble.

So I asked one well known dealer about any changes and he thinks they've improved the coatings to 'fully multi-coated', but hasn't had a chance to compare the old vs new.

That is good info, thanks for posting!

Looks like you are right about them being fully multicoated. If you put the mouse cursor over the photo in the Adorama web page listing to inlarge the image, it is easy to read that it now has labeling on the top of the right side of the body that says "Fully Multi-Coated".

http://www.adorama.com/PX8521P2.html

Here are the web pages showing the images on the Ricoh/Pentax site:

Old: http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/sport-optics/products/Papilio_6.5x21

New: http://www.us.ricoh-imaging.com/sport-optics/products/Papilio_II_6.5x21

Note: Sometimes the images did come consistently display on the Ricoh site for me using Internet Explorer 11. It did work the one time I tried Google Chrome. Hope it works for you.

"needed to make it perfect"

no-not close to perfect,
but the binocular that ALL binocular people
should have in their collection

be interesting to see comparisons
of the old and the new

edj

This is very welcome news.

I really like the Papilio for what it is and does, but have thought since its introduction that it is a true shame that it has lacked full multi coatings in a day and age where just about every binocular offers that. The lack of contrast and color vibrancy and increased flare that results from the single-coated surfaces has been quite obvious in the Papilios image.

The text in the "highlights" part of the Papilio II pages spells out quite clearly that every surface of every optical element is fully multi-coated now.

Another change was that with the II they talk about aspherical lens elements making the image sharp to the edges, whereas this was not mentioned with the original I. So maybe there is a re-designed eyepiece also.

Kimmo

I agree that the addition of FMCs makes this "little bugger" more versatile. Or at least it would if they had made the FOV wider in the 8.5x model, I find 6* is too confining for birding. Even though the 6.5x model's AFOV is smaller, the TFOV of nearly 7.5* is more to my liking. The 6.5x Papilio II would make a good replacement for my single coated Olympus 7x21 PC III. The much closer focus would be better for butterflies. Plus "The Price is Right."

Last year, a local butterfly expert convinced Parks & Rec to fund a butterfly park with plants that attract butterflies, with a large poster that identifies the butterflies, fact cards placed along the trail that explain the importance of pollination, and an observation deck that allows visitors to take in the whole garden.

<B>

There is something a bit suspicious about the "Highlights" text and the "bullet points" for the Papilio II on the Ricoh site. They are the very same ones used as a general description of all the U Series compacts. Also notice that the old Papilio "Highlights" text also claims "fully-multi-coated". Maybe the II has new coatings and aspherical elements or perhaps this is yet another case of sloppy marketing material. Hopefully someone will be able to directly compare the old and new versions.

I ordered/preordered a pair from CameralandNY Thursday,
(did not specify a color-may be a surprise)
to compare with my "old" 6.5 and 8.5 papillios

pink would be nice
edj

Does anyone know if and when this might be available in the uk, who might stock it and the price please?

Many thanks

Hugh

Many thanks. Rather a big price increase. Are the 'improvements' worth it?
I am very keen to buy this type of bin so would appreciate views of the relative merits.

Many thanks

Hugh

I haven't seen it and although it is tempting I have bigger fish to fry just now.

Only the viewer can really judge for his or her self whether the FMC coating on this fun binocular would justify the thick end of £120.00 over the discontinued Pap.I.

Best wishes,

Does anybody yet have experience of both the Papilio and Papilio II models? As Samandag points out above, the discontinued ones seem to be available for as little as £80 (compared to £180 for the new model) and the difference is significant to me.

Is the new version a big step up?

Thanks! Although the price looks too good to be true, that retailer gets more good reviews than bad so I'll maybe give it a go.

Any idea why the site says the RRP is £89?

I'm still interested to hear if anyone has opinions on the difference between the old and new models.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back