• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Colourful Unusual Song Bird in Bromsgrove? (1 Viewer)

Hello, my first post. I have very limited knowledge of birds but I do have an interest.

Yesterday mid morning I came across a beautiful colourful song bird perched on a tree top, whistling to the world.

It has an unusual appearance and melody and I wondered if anyone can help me identify it. I've checked online and in th ecouple of very comprehensive books I have and could find nothing like it at all. The closest I would say would be a tiny woodpecker in shape or perhaps a Nuthatch?

It was very small, with an upright appearance with straight neck, dark plumage, whitish head with a black stripe along its eye, longish beak and black beard? But what really stood out where two things, it's silvery, bluey/green shimmering breast (similar to a Kingfisher plumage) and the beautiful song. It was high pitched and lots of odd variations from whistling alternating melodies to low frequent clicks.

I had my phone with me so I've take a few VERY blurry pics but please remember it was a tint bird, sat on top of a very tall tree and a really bright day so the detail just wasn't going to happen. Hopefully someone can work it out as there are a few pointers, at one point it ruffled its feathers on top of its head and pulled its neck in as if on display.

Last edited:
I captured some bird song but it went a little quiet when I started filming, the audio came out clear though as it's a decent sony phone. If you listen carefully at the start you can get a bit of the clicking, just about, you will have to filter out the usual bird song in the background, not easy I know, but I think I captured a fair bit of this bird. It was more chirpy and melodic before I started recording which is a shame.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickbyng/22056804872/in/datetaken/

I do wonder if this is the same bird that was here last year, I didn't ever see it but the song was incredible. Really varied, and seemed to have a signature melody which I can clearly describe, if you listen to "Always Something There To Remind Me" by Sandie Shaw, just those words/melody in that song, that was able to mimic the melody over and again.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back