• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Art Coursework (1 Viewer)

G.Wills

Hi all,

This is my first upload on the art forum. I thought you might like to see my GCSE art coursework because you all will probable know what the subjects are unlike my art teachers. The pictures of the Gyr Falcon and the Goshawk are photos and are a little blurred but the Snow Leopard is a scan.

I hope you like them,

Greg.

Attachments

• resized art work.jpg
    resized art work.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 73
  • resized art work (2).JPG
    resized art work (2).JPG
    327 KB · Views: 80
  • resized art work (3).JPG
    resized art work (3).JPG
    295.3 KB · Views: 87
Hi Greg - welcome to the art bit of BF. Very nice work here - the leopard is really well constructed; so often straight-on portraits end up with eyes different sizes and in the wrong place - this looks like a solid form, the pencil work is strong and unfussy too - good job. I really like the falcon drawing but I'd advise you just keep an eye on the proportions of the bird - it could be the reference you've used, but it looks a little short in the wing to my eye. The head detail is excellent and the plumage is rendered really nicely. As is the gos - a very commendable piece of work. Look forward to seeing more from you.

I agree, the Goshawk is a superb piece of art. I'd say though that for really good widlife drawings getting out into the countryside and taking field sketches is really helps. You get to appreciate the character, get to know individual birds/animals and all their habits, and (for most on here at least) it really helps us get good drawings. However, you seem to be doing pretty darn well anyway! :t: Good luck with your GCSE, if all you have to do is draw I have no doubt you'll pass with flying colours! Makes me want to go back and re-choose my options!

mmmm 88 views and only 3 posts not very good really. Come on people - Greg has produced some very nice artwork for his portfolio at least give him a nod.

As an old guy who stands no chance of producing artwork anywhere near the quality of yours Greg...here's a big-up from me. I think they are great.

Welcome to BF....drawing wildlife in my day at art school would have been frowned upon, hope yours is different, whatever they have you draw tho will be of great benefit, it may not be your "style" now, but follow along anyway the more you draw the better you get, it's that simple. And in drawing you may fall in love with line and start to loosen up and use it in very subtle ways to describe your forms...good luck and keep posting.

Hi Greg, welcome to the best bit of BF.

You have a nice, individual and very graphic style of working here, a good range of tones too. I would agree with Tim; Just keep an eye on the proportions of your drawings, perhaps use some light pencil work to establish the overall proportions before beginning the detail and tonal work.

Nice to see you joining in, you'll get plenty of encouragement and good advice on here! Keep it up and good luck with the GCSE's.

Mike

welcome to the art section here - great start here, there are some wonderful passages in these pics that describe the directions of the surface very well, the gos has a great glint in the eye and a nice range of tones. I agree with the advice given to look at proportions (they are so hard sometimes). Hope all is going well for your GCSE, I remember how frustrating it was sometimes when I was doing mine all those years back - art really is a very strange subject to give a mark to!

Hi Greg, welcome to the best bit of BF.

You have a nice, individual and very graphic style of working here, a good range of tones too. I would agree with Tim; Just keep an eye on the proportions of your drawings, perhaps use some light pencil work to establish the overall proportions before beginning the detail and tonal work.

Nice to see you joining in, you'll get plenty of encouragement and good advice on here! Keep it up and good luck with the GCSE's.

Mike

It seems like I'm always quoting someone else's good advice, often Tim or Nick's. But this time I'll choose Mike, though all the advice you've been given is good. I'm not exactly sure what the GCSE is but I can make a pretty good guess.

And as I think Colleen said it sure would have been difficult for someone to choose birds as subjects back when I was getting my art degrees. Stupid me I had absolutely no interest in them then. But I hope things are easier for you now than they probably would have been when I or Colleen was in school.

In any case stick to your guns and paint what you like. As Mike says you'll get plenty of encouragement here.

General Certificate of Secondary Education (I think - eek!).

Indeed it is - I was very lucky at secondary school - the teacher was an artist aswell as an art teacher and just told me to get on with what I wanted to do, as long as somewhere in there I did what the exam and coursework required I could do what I liked. Result, happy student and A* for GCSE. A level art was rubbish on the other hand (from an examiner's point of view) the teacher often left us without any guidance as to the exam requirements, would always be there to interfere with our artwork, thinking nothing of 'correcting' our own pictures and more often than not all we had to work with was a bit of paper, black paint and fingers. I got a C for the A level - the FBA declined to publish this information on my page on their website though!

Apologies to Greg for hijacking his thread with all this nostalgia, it's just hard for me to believe I did my GCSEs over ten years ago.

Cheers for all your comments, I really appreciate it!

I agree with the proportions, I saw it as soon as I had finished it!
I look forward to seeing all your work too, and I will keep you posted with my results,

Thanks again,

Greg.

Indeed it is - I was very lucky at secondary school - the teacher was an artist aswell as an art teacher and just told me to get on with what I wanted to do, as long as somewhere in there I did what the exam and coursework required I could do what I liked. Result, happy student and A* for GCSE. A level art was rubbish on the other hand (from an examiner's point of view) the teacher often left us without any guidance as to the exam requirements, would always be there to interfere with our artwork, thinking nothing of 'correcting' our own pictures and more often than not all we had to work with was a bit of paper, black paint and fingers. I got a C for the A level - the FBA declined to publish this information on my page on their website though!

Apologies to Greg for hijacking his thread with all this nostalgia, it's just hard for me to believe I did my GCSEs over ten years ago.

That's pretty much the exact same experience (and grades!) I had!! Except my GCSE's were 20yrs ago!! :eek!:

Cheers for all your comments, I really appreciate it!

I agree with the proportions, I saw it as soon as I had finished it!
I look forward to seeing all your work too, and I will keep you posted with my results,

Thanks again,

Greg.

Hi Greg. Super post as introduction, very nice work indeed. Proportions are tough and I wouldnt worry about it. The drawings show you have a real talent and you have a very real abilitiy to render detail. Top stuff. Welcome aboard and good luck with the exams...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back