• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sewage works (1 Viewer)

Ericmd

I have been visiting Marston sewage plant reserve recently.It has a good variety of birds;both inland and coastal species visit throughout the year and the summer warblers are here in force.
I've also noticed at a small waterworks on the witham river attracts great numbers of swallows,martins and wagtails.
Where there is food,they will come!
How do I find the locations of more sewage works?
Anglian water and Severn Trent haven't replied to my pleas for maps/locations.And I tried the Magic.com map with frustrating results.
I know not all treatment works would be suitable but it would be nice just to drop into one(not like that!) on journeys to other sites.
Eric

In these troublous times I'm not altogether surprised that water companies are less than eager to tell you where their treatment plants are, but I would imagine they will be on Ordnance Survey maps (I must confess I've never looked.)

They are marked on OS maps. Have been meaning to visit my local one as well, you might just have spurred me on to try. I can just imagine my husband's reaction when I say "Let's go for an evening stroll to our local sewage works darling!".

David FG said:
In these troublous times I'm not altogether surprised that water companies are less than eager to tell you where their treatment plants are, but I would imagine they will be on Ordnance Survey maps (I must confess I've never looked.)

Thanks for that,I'll visit the library today and check some maps out.One of the water companies 'provide maps of sites for a small fee'.I told my wife of my interest and she replied with arms folded "follow your nose"!
Quarry developers are quick to provide information since they see it as good publicity.....returning the landscape to nature they call it!

Ericmd said:
Thanks for that,I'll visit the library today and check some maps out.One of the water companies 'provide maps of sites for a small fee'.I told my wife of my interest and she replied with arms folded "follow your nose"!
Quarry developers are quick to provide information since they see it as good publicity.....returning the landscape to nature they call it!

Traditionally sewage works were always built next to a river and downstream of the relevant community, usually at the boundary with the next borough.

HTH

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back