• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone here use pastels? (1 Viewer)

Here is my latest piece. Some black tailed godwits. Hope you like it. :D

Hi Kittykat

Oh, this is beautiful. I just love the way you have presented this picture. :-O

Pastels are very different to painting, and you have got it 100 per cent right here

The colours, and the postures of the birds are so realistic.

A wow factor here.

Love to see more here!!!

Regards
Kathy

Thank you all for the very positive comments. I think I surprised myself with this piece. I seldom complete anything that I would feel comfortable displaying in my home, but I'm seriously thinking about framing this piece. Considering I've only recently got into painting in pastels I''m amazed that I've got such good results..;)

Wow :t: Those godwits are fantastic - as is the background too and the way you've done the water.

I used to do portraits of children for my workmates a few years ago in pastel and found it to be a really enjoyable medium to use. Haven't tried doing any wildlife pics in it yet though...I'm still using charcoal and 'normal' pencils. Perhaps I should just throw caution to the wind and 'have a go' with pastels and my embarrassingly large collection of coloured pencils! ;)

Looking forward to seeing more of your paintings - you really capture the jizz of the birds :t:

Wallcreeper

Inspired by Nick's wallcreepers and with a recent trip to India fresh in my mind. here is my attempt:

2151681352_6d097c52d3.jpg

I've just found this thread today and I really love your drawings Kittykat. The godwits are especially stunning.

I haven't used soft pastels but I've done some bird drawings with pastel pencils, some of which hang or stand around the house, some of which were sold through the village art gallery and the rest lie in a cupboard looking for a home.

For anyone who's interested my Birdforum gallery consists of a collection of some of my drawings.

I haven't done any for a year or so, but seeing this thread has revived my interest and I may just get them out again during the dark days between now and spring.

Attachments

• Merlin 17July2007 small copy.jpg
    Merlin 17July2007 small copy.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Love the wallcreeper, I feel less guilty about having them roud here now that I don't have the monopoly on them, love how the rocks echo the red in the wings.

Alan, some lovely stuff in the gallery, I don't know how I overlooked these, excellent control of a very difficult medium and wonderful subtlety.

Looking froward to seeing more pastel work from both of you.

Two nice, fresh contributions - well done KittyKat, another lovely drawing to add to the thread.
Very nice merlin portrait Alan - really like this piece!

Thanks Kitty.

It was the only picture I did during 2007. A friend (birder and ex-workmate of many years) was getting married so I did it as part of his present. I took a scan when I finished it.

Treasure is the right word, the colours have made this into a jewel, a proper little bijou, very luminous, and also in the branches, there is that glow. Beautiful!

Just been out for a walk this morning and got a photo of a couple of dabchicks. I'm thinking of working this up into a pastel painting. What do you think?

2167979603_6f9625355b.jpg

What a smashing picture- should make a great painting. Its not very often we get to see photos that people work from on the forum. It will be interesting to see your interpretation.

go for it! I hope that they don't cause you as much of a headache as they do for me (still love them though)! Love the kingfisher.

I really liked your Little Owl and the Black-tailed Godwits that you posted!

It seems like I just do not have enough time for creating lately, but when I do feel like drawing, I usually use colored pencils (or just pencil drawings). I tried pastels a few times but the results were pretty "messy". I just could not get the technique down!

Keep up the good work!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back