• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Great visit to Grimley today, Grey Plover and Red crested Pochard both lifers. Will post any pics that come out on my blog/ Flickr later B :)

Great visit to Grimley today, Grey Plover and Red crested Pochard both lifers. Will post any pics that come out on my blog/ Flickr later B :)

Glad you got them both.

The Grey Plover disappeared later but may still be in area. Probably too many dogs and their walkers around for its liking.

Duck numbers had been disappointing until this recent cold snap, but have been steadily rising with 95+ Gadwall, 110+ Teal, 30+ Wigeon and 30+ Shoveler. Diving duck numbers are still low with c10 Pochard and c70 Tufted Ducks about as good as it gets.

Brian

Glad you got them both.

The Grey Plover disappeared later but may still be in area. Probably too many dogs and their walkers around for its liking.

Duck numbers had been disappointing until this recent cold snap, but have been steadily rising with 95+ Gadwall, 110+ Teal, 30+ Wigeon and 30+ Shoveler. Diving duck numbers are still low with c10 Pochard and c70 Tufted Ducks about as good as it gets.

Brian

Thanks for the info Brian :t:
I saw your car parked on the North side when I was heading for the Causeway. Got the Pochards first, you had gone when I swung back round for the Plover

I knew that Upton had had a poor start to the year (85) but hadn't realised it was that bad ;)

Well, we're still missing some of the regular winter visitors, ie Merlin, Pintail, Goldeneye, Barn Owl and Chiffchaff although these will all turn up at some point. But these have been more than compensated for by Grey Plover, Kittiwake, 2 Red-crested Pochard and Ruff. Up to eight wintering Green Sandpipers have also been notable.

Brian

Well, we're still missing some of the regular winter visitors, ie Merlin, Pintail, Goldeneye, Barn Owl and Chiffchaff although these will all turn up at some point. But these have been more than compensated for by Grey Plover, Kittiwake, 2 Red-crested Pochard and Ruff. Up to eight wintering Green Sandpipers have also been notable.
Brian

That's interesting as we have had only one bird this year at Upton which flew out of the Flashes at first light on New Year's Day.

I've no idea what the total number of different birders would be that visit Upton in an average winter week but bet it's considerably more than Grimley which is no more than five./QUOTE]

As I've now got more birding time I am often tempted to call into Grimley either on way to or from Upton.

With the changes to parking / access over the last 12 months or so, I'm deterred due to uncertainty of access.

I've no idea what the total number of different birders would be that visit Upton in an average winter week but bet it's considerably more than Grimley which is no more than five./QUOTE]

As I've now got more birding time I am often tempted to call into Grimley either on way to or from Upton.

With the changes to parking / access over the last 12 months or so, I'm deterred due to uncertainty of access.

Hi Alan,

Camp Lane Pits is accessible by the various public footpaths which have all now been reinstated following the landscaping of the wader scrapes. Parking is either along the lane here, at the end of Camp Lane here or in the field by the black barn here. Parking at the latter point is at the discretion of the farmer so does change from time to time depending on whether there is livestock in the fields.

Wagon Wheel Lane Pits are not on any public rights of way but the farmer seems fairly relaxed about access via the concrete track to the sewage works.

Brian

Hi Brian,

thanks for that, I have seen that on your website but unfortunately I am still unable to locate the precise entrance, I always end up at the Camp House pub |:S|

Hi Gavin,

Strange that ;).

Each of the parking points mentioned in post #33 have stile or gate access to the footpaths.

Oystercatcher still present today and 4 Green Sandpipers.

Brian

Droped in for an hour this afternoon and viewed from the top road. Passing through were 1 Common Tern followed soon after by an Artic Tern also of note 2 Redshank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back