• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Donegal (1 Viewer)

Heard lots of chirping in my hedge at Derrybeg. Turned out to be 6-7 Linnet. Reluctant to show themselves at first, then flew out and perched on the electricity lines. Quite a few Meadow Pipit but very few Wheatear now. The House Martins are still toing and frowing to their mud nest. Found two halves of an egg shell below the nest.

Not a lot of bird activity in the countryside.

Richard

Just a quick note on things out by Rossbeg.
As noted in a number of other posts things seem to be quiet.
There were the usual collection of meadow pipits around the nature reserve with the occassional skylark and (from what I could see) stonechat.
The were a number of choughs spiralling around rocks but little sight of any gulls at all.
Sheskinmore lake itself was disappointing with only a couple of mute swans. There were however swallows feeding all over the surface.
The beach produced a few ringed plover and pied wagtails but little else.
A little bit more life around the estuary with a few shags flying around, the odd individual black guilimot and a number of loud terns diving into the water and feeding. (no idea what type of tern).
There were also a number of small brown birds around the rocks which might be rock pipits!! Would this be right?
I'm sure there must be other life about but I'm not observant enough to record anything at present.

A little bit more life around the estuary with a few shags flying around, the odd individual black guilimot and a number of loud terns diving into the water and feeding. (no idea what type of tern).
There were also a number of small brown birds around the rocks which might be rock pipits!! Would this be right?
I'm sure there must be other life about but I'm not observant enough to record anything at present.

There's common, arctic and sandwich terns at the estuary but the first two especially are very hard to tell apart unless you get a good close up view.

The other birds could indeed be rock pipits, they're quite common. I found a nest at the far side of Tramore Beach a few years ago.

From the second week in August there's usually a female hen harrier back over the Sheskinmore reserve so keep eyes peeled.

I'm heading up to the caravan for a weekend soon so will post anything I see.

Chris, the terns you are seeing are probably Arctic or Sandwich. I must take a trip to Sheskinmore. The Hen Harrier would make my day. Things are very quiet in Derrybeg at present. Even the Skylarks have gone silent.

Keep up the reports, there is so little reported on Donegal.

Richard

Rosbeg again. Just a brief walk along the shore this time but there seemed to be more birds about. Not a lot of different species just larger numbers.
A good flock of oystercatchers at the estuary mouth and 50+ ringed plover on the main beach. Also a couple of turnstone on the rocks the first time I've seem them here

Thats promising Chris, not a lot up at Gweedore at present. We went for a good walk along the coast and saw only a few gulls and 2 Ravens. At the house there are large flocks of Starlings and some House Martins and Swallows. Also Linnet and Meadow Pipit.

Things should change shortly though.

Richard

Rosbeg again. Just a brief walk along the shore this time but there seemed to be more birds about. Not a lot of different species just larger numbers.
A good flock of oystercatchers at the estuary mouth and 50+ ringed plover on the main beach. Also a couple of turnstone on the rocks the first time I've seem them here

The ringed plover breed on Tramore Beach, so some of them were probably juveniles. Forgot about the turnstones, keep an eye out their numbers will probably build up throughout the month.

Think I'll get up before the end of August or maybe a weekend in September when the caravan site quietens down a bit.

Sad day for House Martins

I made a grim discovery at the weekend. The House Martin nest had fallen killing three almost fully fledged chicks. The mud nest must not have been strong enough for their weight. Next year I'll try and fit an artificial nest if possible.

Birding still on the quiet side at Derrybeg. Saw a few Oystercatchers on the grass. Lots of Starlings and a couple of Ravens but not a lot else.

Must try a bit of sea watching at Bloody Foreland or another trip to Tory.

Richard

sheskinmore

Had a damp 2 hour walk around the sheskinmore- ballinreavy strand area on
saturday last.Species seen were:
Snipe,stonechat,raven,curlew,kestrel,lapwing,meadow pipit,mute swan,
mallard,dunlin,lesser black backed gull,ringed plover,sanderling,cormorant.
Gannets could be glimpsed out at sea,and along the river otter footprints
were numerous.We will be back just as soon as summer arrives!!!!

Derrybeg

Spent a week at Derrybeg, very uneventful as far as birding goes. Did a day trip to Tory on thursday 21st, saw reasonable numbers of Gannets, a few Manx Shearwater. On the island things were very quiet, a few Lapwing and Wheatear.

Back at Derrybeg things were very quiet too. A few Lapwing, Oystercatcher, Swallows, Housemartins and various gulls. Saw a few Chough in the distance.

Saw Otter footprints at Magheroarty beach on friday.

Looking forward to the impending autumn for a few new feathered faces!

Richard

A visit to Tory Saturday and Sunday morning produced 1 Willow Warbler, 3 Wheatear, 2 Sanderling, 1 Greylag Goose, 2 Sanderling, 100+ Ringed Plover, 50+ Snipe. Also good numbers of Tree Sparrows.
The ferry over on Saturday produced 1 Sooty Shearwater and a dark phase Arctic Skua.

Derek

Once again i visited Tory Island at the weekend. Migrants were thin on the ground again with Whitethroat, Wheatears and 2 Willow Warblers the only passerines of note. A couple of Peregrines were hunting near the Lighthouse.Great Skuas were seen on both sea crossings.
Also had a look at Derrybeg and Kadreuw Strand but very few waders were present.

Derek

Once again i visited Tory Island at the weekend. Migrants were thin on the ground again with Whitethroat, Wheatears and 2 Willow Warblers the only passerines of note. A couple of Peregrines were hunting near the Lighthouse.Great Skuas were seen on both sea crossings.
Also had a look at Derrybeg and Kadreuw Strand but very few waders were present.

Derek

Thanks for the updates Derek...all your efforts will eventually pay off.
Its good to hear about negative news as well..at least I know where not to go at the weekends...

Hoopoe

I was looking at the sligobirding.com site and am delighted to read that a Hoopoe was seen at Crohy Head Nr Dungloe. I've never managed to see a Hoopoe yet. Has anyone seen it recently? It was spotted on the 7th of September.

Richard

Last edited:
Derrybeg

Still remarkably few birds about. Saw large flocks of Starling at Magheragallon. Also a few Meadow Pipit and Linnet. Looking forward to the return of the Brent.

Richard

Went on Pelagic out of Magheraroarty. Saw Storm Petrel, Bonxies, Sooty Shearwater, Manx Shearwater and my first Leach,s Petrel.

Tory Island again this weekend. My legs will take a week to recover! A lot more migrants about this weekend. Lesser Whitethroat, Greenland Redpoll, Fem/imm Pied Flycatcher, 2 White Wagtails, juvenile Merlin, 2/3 Willow Warblers, 2/3 Chiffchaffs, 5 Dunlin, 5/6 Wheatears. Also Kestrel, Choughs and the bizzare sight of a Snipe flying round and round the town yesterday morning and even landing on the rooves of some houses. Also had a nice view of a Corncrake in flight.
The Dolphin was showing well in the harbour and 2 Great Skuas passed over the ferry on the way out.

Derek

That seems to have been a great trip Derek. What part of the island is best at the moment? I hope to get out on Saturday, weather permitting.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back