• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Recommendations (1 Viewer)

For the Swarovski 8x30 CL B, make sure it is the new and much improved "B" version, not the older one.

I believe the "B" in the name of the new Swaro Companion means that the binocular is suitable for eyeglass wearers and does not represent a version number.

It looks like Swarovski just changed the binocular and not the name as the prior version also had a "B" in the description. I can see the lack of a name change being an ongoing source of confusion.

Here is a screen print of the web page for the prior version.

0-Saro Companion.jpg

Per a post from our pedantic moderator Lee, the "B stands for 'brille' meaning glasses and its original meaning was that the bins had sufficient eye relief for spectacle wearers to use them."

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3448445&postcount=4

The logical comparison would be the Swarovski EL Swarovision 8.5x42, the binocular the Zeiss SF was specifically designed to compete with, or the Nikon EDG 8x42.

From all reports the EL SV is sharper to the edge, but the SF has less rolling ball, a wider FOV and arguably better ergonomics.

Sadly, I've never had the opportunity to try the SF side by side with my EL SV, or even by itself—for whatever reason there are no high-end sports optics stores left in San Francisco since Scope City closed about a decade ago. Odd. given how rich this city is, and so close to nature.

What did you end up getting?

I got the bin I thought had the best view (the SF!)

I'm not sure its fair to compare both right to the edges, it makes more sense to compare the apparent fov that overlaps on both bins. That said, the SF looks petty sharp to me on the edges, I guess my eyes are young enough.

Unfortunately I did not get to try the 8.5x42 ELs (or the noctivid 8x42 / 7x42 ultravids / Monarch HG 8x42) so I cant really comment on them.

I did try the swaro 8x42, which has some advantages:
1) A locking diopter
2) Eyecups that appear much better built. (specifically the SF / HT / Conquest eye-cups are made of plastic, and have some amount of flex). That said, it's not hard to get replacements if they do go bad.
3) Swaro's objective covers are easier to use. I'm a fan of those on the 8x30CL, which is just a rubber ring that attaches itself around the front of each tube. Simple and effective, likely easy to replace if needed.The SFs have a lanyard that attaches the covers to the strap, which is not nearly as intuitive a system. I wonder if there are after-market caps to fix this.

For egronomic reasons, I preferred the 8x32 EL to the swaro 8x42, my arms got tired after using the 8x42s for about 5min, while the 8x32 EL is much lighter. Somehow the SFs feel similar to the 8x32EL when in use, the "egronomic" claims are certainly true for me.

Last edited:
One thing I did notice is that the better bins I tried seem sharper without eyeglasses, which was surprising. It was not slightly sharper too, perhaps a 5x (!) improvement, in terms of color/contrast/sharpness. Perhaps I need new glasses...

The problem with not using glasses is that my prescription is high enough to prevent focusing at infinity with any bin, but close focus up to 10-20m works fine. Are there bins that work up to 1100 degrees?

I hope you paid less than the asking price for the SF; like the Noctivid way over priced. The prices will be lower at the end of year.

Andy W.

I hope you paid less than the asking price for the SF; like the Noctivid way over priced. The prices will be lower at the end of year.

Andy W.

Any idea what it costs at the end of the year?

I paid about the same as what optics planet is asking for now (US $2,452.94 shipped, before tax). I cant wait till the end of the year, my trip is coming up!

Pity i missed out on the grey unit sell off a year ago. That's probably the cheapest nib.

At near Christmas time, many great discounts if buying new. I am waiting to pull the trigger on a Noctivid 8X42, the last I will buy in that format, and of course the SLC 10X56. Not many of either used these days, nor the SF 8X42 for that matter.

Andy W.

The SF feels like a larger aperture glass (like a 10X50) in hand for a 8X42, I had one for a week before I returned them. IMO the EDG 8X42 has the best flat field of view, with comfort when panning and a nice size. Built extremely well, IMO more durable than the SF. A pity they stopped making them. The FL T 8X42 is also a very good glass, bright light, durable with perfect on axis resolution. I use the Meopta 8X42 and the Leica 8X42 HD and only the Noctivid 8X42 I am curious about.

While I have not tried the SLC models other than the SLC 15X56, how does their view compare with the EL series when panning during terrestrial observation? This is the one characteristic I am having a difficult time getting used to with the EL 10X50.

Andy W.

I use the Meopta 8X42 and the Leica 8X42 HD and only the Noctivid 8X42 I am curious about.

While I have not tried the SLC models other than the SLC 15X56, how does their view compare with the EL series when panning during terrestrial observation? This is the one characteristic I am having a difficult time getting used to with the EL 10X50.

Andy W.

Hmm how did the Meopta 8x42 / Leica compare to the SF optically?

I dont have any issues with the SF when panning, diddnt notice any problems with the 8x42SLC either. I think you are referring to rolling ball? I cant detect any at all with the SF to be honest.

I dont have any issues with the SF when panning, diddnt notice any problems with the 8x42SLC either. I think you are referring to rolling ball? I cant detect any at all with the SF to be honest.

It’s deliberately under-corrected for flatness of field to reduce rolling ball. There’s a very interesting interview by Troubador on the genesis of the SF:
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3104395&postcount=4

I suspect Konrad Seil’s passing is why we still haven’t seen a 8x32 SF

It’s deliberately under-corrected for flatness of field to reduce rolling ball. There’s a very interesting interview by Troubador on the genesis of the SF:
https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3104395&postcount=4

I suspect Konrad Seil’s passing is why we still haven’t seen a 8x32 SF

Wow I never knew the same guy played such a big part in designing both the EL series and the 8x42 SF! You are right, its a very interesting interview

If you don't want to spend a ton but want a lot of bang for your buck, Nikon or Vortex are the way to go. Great glass and build quality and they run the gamut from budget to high end. If I'm just screwing around in the back yard or on a day trip, I grab my Nikon Action Extreme 7x35s or Vortex Raptor 8.5x32s... Both fantastic binos for a sub-$100 price point.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

If you don't want to spend a ton but want a lot of bang for your buck, Nikon or Vortex are the way to go. Great glass and build quality and they run the gamut from budget to high end. If I'm just screwing around in the back yard or on a day trip, I grab my Nikon Action Extreme 7x35s or Vortex Raptor 8.5x32s... Both fantastic binos for a sub-$100 price point.

I did try the Vortex Raptor 8.5x32, its not really suitable for use when using glasses unfortunately.

I did try the Vortex Raptor 8.5x32, its not really suitable for use when using glasses unfortunately.
Check out the Nikons I mentioned. The eyepieces on the action extremes are massive. I usually wear contacts, but have no issues with my glasses either.

I'm starting to wonder if I would need 2 bins for a safari trip, or if its fine to share 1 bin and a camera with a long lens. Total luggage weight is limited to 20kg / person (40kg)

aCuria, post 56,
On my safari trips one good binocular was sufficient in practically all circumstances, if you find it necessary: take a doubler or tripler with you, much smaller and much less weight.I did that many times but I hardly had to use it, since the binocular was sufficient.
Gijs van Ginkel

aCuria, post 56,
On my safari trips one good binocular was sufficient in practically all circumstances, if you find it necessary: take a doubler or tripler with you, much smaller and much less weight.I did that many times but I hardly had to use it, since the binocular was sufficient.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs van Ginkel, was this one good binocular shared among 2 people?

Hi aCuria,

congratulations to an alpha bin as first pair - that's the cheap way to get the best view... takes others many years, pairs and a lot more money to get there ;-)

Regarding new glasses - if the view was better without but you couldn't focus to infinity, getting a new pair seems a good idea, preferably before the vacation.

As I have written earlier in this thread, sharing bins is not really practical - if you can agree with your partner that one gets to use the bins for a few hours while the other uses the telephoto lens on the camera, switching every few hours or day, that's fine.

Just practice the setup of IPD and diopter a bit so you can do it quickly when switching - the SF diopter also has a scale so you can set rough value there and hope it fits...

Joachim

Hi aCuria,

congratulations to an alpha bin as first pair - that's the cheap way to get the best view... takes others many years, pairs and a lot more money to get there ;-)

Regarding new glasses - if the view was better without but you couldn't focus to infinity, getting a new pair seems a good idea, preferably before the vacation.

As I have written earlier in this thread, sharing bins is not really practical - if you can agree with your partner that one gets to use the bins for a few hours while the other uses the telephoto lens on the camera, switching every few hours or day, that's fine.

Just practice the setup of IPD and diopter a bit so you can do it quickly when switching - the SF diopter also has a scale so you can set rough value there and hope it fits...

Joachim

I don't think there will be any diopter switching involved, just the ipd (because glasses)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back