• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2 section tripod legs (1 Viewer)

Looks to be a splendid tripod for the hard core user, sold dirt cheap.
Not at all suitable for a Manhattan apartment, but if I were sea watching from Cape May, I'd hit that bid.

Yeah, those metal tips are going to ruin the parquet floor for sure...

Joachim

Well, since I said I would, I took my scope out, focused it across our shallow valley, jacked it up to 60x, and hit the tripod with a hammer... Okay, a rubber mallet before anyone gets apoplectic:) It damps, well, instantly. I couldn't get the "1" out, let alone "Mississippi". Now mind you, if I press my glasses against the eyepiece, it can wobble a bit.
I have to reiterate what others have said. Six seconds of "ringing" just isn't right. It would be very detrimental to any photographic use. You might want to have a friend take a look at the set up and see if anything is amiss.

---

And while I was out, some neighbors talked to me and mentioned Mt. Auburn Cemetery is now closed to the public!-(

The head I use on my heavier tripods is a Manfrotto MVH500AH. The tripod is in fact lighter than I thought it was, it's only ~3.8 kg (without the head). The feet are actually steel, so you can really push them into the earth. The middle column is solid steel.

That tripod was sold many years ago with the Carl Zeiss Jena Asiola scope. I've had it for many years. I think it may well have been made by Berlebach at the time. Wooden tripods seem me to be excellent with regard to dampening down vibrations. One really heavy Berlbach I've seen in the field is this one: https://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=225 Leaves my tripod in the dust ... :king: But 7.3 kg without the head - no way.

By the way, there are lighter tripods that are truly excellent, better IMO than Gitzo and all the usual suspects: https://www.sachtler.com/en/. Better than anything else I've seen. Truly professional tripods. But a bit expensive, and that's putting it mildly.

Hermann

Yes, those Sachtler tripods are shockingly priced. Probably worth the money, but only if necessary. They are NOT necessary...for me. LOL.

Thank you, just the same.

Well, since I said I would, I took my scope out, focused it across our shallow valley, jacked it up to 60x, and hit the tripod with a hammer... Okay, a rubber mallet before anyone gets apoplectic:) It damps, well, instantly. I couldn't get the "1" out, let alone "Mississippi". Now mind you, if I press my glasses against the eyepiece, it can wobble a bit.
I have to reiterate what others have said. Six seconds of "ringing" just isn't right. It would be very detrimental to any photographic use. You might want to have a friend take a look at the set up and see if anything is amiss.

---

And while I was out, some neighbors talked to me and mentioned Mt. Auburn Cemetery is now closed to the public!-(

Well, I think that I will pull the trigger on the Birder. I appreciate your testing it out. That is a pretty impressive result.

I found this head for $150. I should work well with this tripod, right?

Well, I think that I will pull the trigger on the Birder. I appreciate your testing it out. That is a pretty impressive result.

I found this head for $150. I should work well with this tripod, right?

Be sure to check the details of the QC plate used.
Video generally uses a bigger 50 mm across the base plate, while the Arca style plate mostly used for scopes is about 38 mm.
I wound up with a kluge mounting one plate on the other to get things to fit.

Hi,

since it's a Manfrotto Head, it's going to have a Manfrotto plate - they don't use Arca and I don't think the Diascope has an Arca compatible integrated foot, or does it?

But I would rather get this version of the 502 - you don't need the half ball...

https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/502-fluid-video-head-with-flat-base-mvh502ah/

If you have to get the half ball attachment it can be removed by loosening some grub screws... see image 2B...

https://cdn.vitecimagingsolutions.c...25.1008029264.1585926288-937410677.1585926288

As for Sachtler Tripods - you got to be lucky to find a used one which is kinda affordable... like this one... that's what you need the half-ball for...

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...0kg-tragkraft-75mm-schale/1359364827-175-2417

Joachim

Last edited:
You definitely want a long plate for a large scope. Arca's do come in long versions ("camcorder" versions with an alignment pin) , but the Manfrotto 5 hundred plate is often cloned as well.
I don't understand what I'm seeing with the that 502. I'd try to get a clear answer first.

Hi,

the plate used by the 500 and 502 allows to move the scope about 2" back and forth from the center position for balance and has a security pin which will avoid a crash even if the security lever becomes loose. Longer plates are available from Manfrotto and third parties.

In order to take off the scope, you need to unscrew and then press the security lever and then tilt the scope and plate sideways. All of this happening at the same time by accident is not very probable...

In general it is a good idea to use some non-permanent Loctite screw security for the 1/4" screw which holds the plate (any brand) to the foot of the scope as these like to become loose over time.

Joachim

Last edited:

---

Be sure to check the details of the QC plate used.
Video generally uses a bigger 50 mm across the base plate, while the Arca style plate mostly used for scopes is about 38 mm.
I wound up with a kluge mounting one plate on the other to get things to fit.

Hi,

since it's a Manfrotto Head, it's going to have a Manfrotto plate - they don't use Arca and I don't think the Diascope has an Arca compatible integrated foot, or does it?

But I would rather get this version of the 502 - you don't need the half ball...

https://www.manfrotto.com/us-en/502-fluid-video-head-with-flat-base-mvh502ah/

If you have to get the half ball attachment it can be removed by loosening some grub screws... see image 2B...

https://cdn.vitecimagingsolutions.c...25.1008029264.1585926288-937410677.1585926288

As for Sachtler Tripods - you got to be lucky to find a used one which is kinda affordable... like this one... that's what you need the half-ball for...

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...0kg-tragkraft-75mm-schale/1359364827-175-2417

Joachim

Well, I want to say thanks to you three, Ian, and all of the others that had input here. Thanks to the OP too. I piggy-backed, and appreciate the opportunity.

I purchased the Birder tripod, but after talking to the Audubon shop owner, and thinking about it, I bought the whole kit that they offered.

The tripod is, ESPECIALLY for the money, very nice. Simple construction, and oversized tubes for the legs and center post, seem to give it great stability. The twist-locks are very nice. Two-section legs are, again, a nice operation in simplicity. Overall, I think the tripod is a great deal. (my experience with a variety is pretty limited, though)

I wish I would have purchased ONLY the tripod. Not that the head is not decent, but I THINK it is the weak point. While the kit/combo is a HUGE improvement over my previous set, I still experience surprising effects from a breeze. There really is no comparison between the Birder kit, and my old stuff, but I do not think I would have the wind effects with a bit more robust head.

PFB, did you say that you have the Birder head too, or did you buy a different head?

There is vibration when I adjust focus, etc, but the damping is virtually 1 second or so. HUGE improvement, and much more enjoyable. But, any noticeable (feel it on your face) breeze will cause a perceptible wobble. I noticed this when I was trying to video record a momma Great Horned Owl feeding her fledgling baby. They were around 75 yards away, but I had a clear shot, and good light. The gentle breeze, and my simple one-finger adjustment of the focuser ruined the whole recording because of the movement. Granted, the focusing vibration dampens as soon as I remove my finger, but I still think a better head would reduce or eliminate that kind of movement, wouldn't it?

I understand that a stiff wind at 15 mph + would possibly slightly affect most any kit. But, should a gentle breeze? Should a one-finger adjustment cause annoyingly obvious movement during video recording?

I do NOT want to return this kit, but MAYBE would return the head. But, the owner of the store was incredibly helpful, and I personally respect that kind of customer service. I do not want to cause him to suffer any loss because I am too picky. I could continue using this kit for years, because it actually is a great deal for the money. It just is not quite what I personally intended.

So, am I expecting too much, or does it sound like I could/should spend a bit more on a more robust head?

Thanks!

Hi,

have you tried the Audubon legs with your 128RC? If that is better in windy conditions, the china head in the kit is not so great and you might get a decent Manfrotto one like 500AH or 502.

If things are unchanged or even worse, you might need a heavy wooden tripod to do videos in those conditions...

Joachim

Yes, and no, you don't want to use it for birding...

https://www.cullmann.de/no_cache/en/detail/id/titan-935.html

Joachim

Hi,

have you tried the Audubon legs with your 128RC? If that is better in windy conditions, the china head in the kit is not so great and you might get a decent Manfrotto one like 500AH or 502.

If things are unchanged or even worse, you might need a heavy wooden tripod to do videos in those conditions...

Joachim

Hi all

Scott...... The fluid head with your tripod (if it's 3510 as averse to the 6750) is the same as mine. It's most probably frustrating you, as the others have said, for 2 reasons.

When new they can be very stiff and not so 'fluid'.....there are 3/4 grub screws underneath ....unscrew them and squirt in some WD40 lubricating oil....replace and give it a good twist which normally gives the perspex head a bit more lubrication and helps making it more fluid.

Also mentioned is the QR plate.....I think you may need the longer version like the Miller, Benro, Manfrotto or Zeiss plate as long as they slide into the mother ship ok. I haven't got one but am looking in to it for the same reasons.

Our scopes with eyepiece, weigh 2.44 KG and if yours is like mine, the weight is such that it needs counterbalance to stabilise it. I haven't got the safety pin so have had to put an extra screw in to the mount to avoid it working lose and stop it moving whilst transporting. It's also very fiddly trying to get stability long enough to take photos or videos as the scope keeps tilting backwards... I've not tried it but the head with the movement arm with a twist screw, which tightens up and down and sideways in one might be a good bet.

I still maintain that phonescoping is an art form. I've read though that some photographers have abandoned cameras and gone over to smartphones/scopes as the set up is done automatically without any worries and the weights are not as much as the big telephoto lenses. I've not mastered it yet though.

By the way the new tripod looks ideal and the weight is much less than my 6.35 KG.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back