• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monfragüe (Extremadura) (1 Viewer)

Chabi

The days 18,19 and 20 of March I will go to Trujillo (Extremadura) to visit Monfragüe.
A friend say me that this year in Portilla del Tietar (Monfragüe) you can see Black Stork, Eagle Owl and Spanish- Imperial Eagle. It´s fantastic¡.

Regards

Welcome to Birdforum, Chabi, from all of us on the Staff!

I'm hoping to visit that area later this Spring, I hope you see plenty!

Andy.

Hola Chabi

It's fantastic for sure

there is a big cliff called Penafalcon that you can observe from across the valley by sitting on top of a castillo. Amazing views of the raptors and storks. And Eagle Owl in the evening too and a good possibility of Imperial Eagle flying past.

Tim

Don't forget to visit the plains around Trujillo, brilliant for Gt & Little Bustard at this time of year + the Lesser Kestrels around the bullring.

David

We had a wonderful time staying near Trujillo last year. We used John Muddemans book "A birdwatching guide to Extremadura", followed a lot of his routes and saw just about everything we could have wished for.

I'm sure you'll love it!

Kath

I'm sure you will have not enough time to see all the splendid places and birds! Like many others, I enjoyed raptors, storks and eagle owls, there is steppe with bustards and sandgrouse nearby, also black-winged kites, too.

Hola Chabi and welcome to BF

Extremadura is a truly fantastic place and when I visited Portilla de Tietar I saw Eagle Owl (adult and two chicks) and a pair of Bonelli's Eagles. I'll be visiting your city of Zaragoza myself in May. Enjoy Monfragüe.

E

To edwards.

I live in a village near Zaragoza (50 km) called Ricla. Zaragoza is a beautiful city. Near Zaragoza, about 100 km. there is a ornitologic reserve of SEO (Birdlife in Spain) a steppe where you can see Dupont´s Lark. If you need some information say me.

Regards

Chabi said:
I live in a village near Zaragoza (50 km) called Ricla. Zaragoza is a beautiful city. Near Zaragoza, about 100 km. there is a ornitologic reserve of SEO (Birdlife in Spain) a steppe where you can see Dupont´s Lark. If you need some information say me.

Regards

Many thanks for the offer Chabi. I'll certainly be looking for Dupont's Lark near Belchite so I will contact you.

Edward

Hi Chabi
Just back from 6 weeks in Spain. Quite right Tietar is the place, seen Eagle Owl + at least 2 chicks, Spanish Imperial Eagle and copulating, many Black Stork, far easier to see here than Penefalcon.

Hi Robert:

I stayed 4 days in Extremadura. In Portilla del Tietar I saw and listened Eagle Owl, Black Stork and a Spanish Imperial Eagle (photo) who stayed about 20 minutes in a dry raw.

Attachments

• Aguila-Imperial.jpg
    Aguila-Imperial.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 180
Chabi said:
The days 18,19 and 20 of March I will go to Trujillo (Extremadura) to visit Monfragüe.
A friend say me that this year in Portilla del Tietar (Monfragüe) you can see Black Stork, Eagle Owl and Spanish- Imperial Eagle. It´s fantastic¡.

Regards

Hi Chabi

Saw all three at Portilla del Tietar ( Monfrague) on 19 April 2005 with Josele Saiz.

Best wishes

Roy

Hi Chabi

If you live near Josele at Loporanzo, then you will know Alberto also. My wife and I stayed with Josele for a week's birding some years ago when he was just starting. Alberto was helping him by doing some guiding. We had a smashing time there, plenty of birds, food, wine and good company. Many of our friends have also stayed there on our recommendation and have had a good time.

See Josele every year at the Birdfair.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back