• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Foliage-Gleaner, Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
Noticed some comments on a recent thread regarding the splitting of the Buff-Throated FG in Costa Rica, Evidently the S Pacific BTFG are now Chiriqui FG.
This bird was at Cahuita. S Caribbean coast so should I call it Chiriqui?

Thanks
alan

Attachments

• b.JPG
    b.JPG
    495.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Don't know what it is, but it doesn't look like a Buff-throated/Chiriqui Foliage-gleaner to me

EDIT: Isn't Cahuita on the Caribbean coat? Unless there's one on the other side too?

Last edited:
Thanks Larry
Just checked out Rufous Mourner on google images and I think you are absolutely right, Not sure if RM occurs in the area of Cahuita - will check.
thanks again
alan

yes - that image is also on google images. According to Garrigues/Dean, RM's are fairly common in the area so
I think that definitely nails it

thanks alan

Your bird and the one linked by Larry look similar because both are Cinnamon Becards. The face design, with dusky lores and buff supraloral, looks different on the mourner which is a plainer faced and more delicate billed bird.

Just for the record, the range the the CFG is given as South-western Costa Rica to western Panama so not on the Caribbean side.

Thanks everyone. I had originally considered Cinnamon Becard but discounted it because of the long (?) tail on my bird.
alan

Textbook ID thread reminder of:
1, never trust the images you find on the net are correctly named.

2, always revisit your thread after your bird has been identified, in case someone comes along who actually knows what they're on about :-O

I considered CB, but didn't even bother checking it after finding that image in what looked like a reputable place! Should know better :-C

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back