• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

male & Female Signs (2 Viewers)

cjay

How do you get the male & female signs up on the keyboard?

You know the ones they use for birds etc. Not the rude ones!

Many thanks

Colin.

Very difficult. They're not on the normal keyboard character set, you need a special character font set. And I don't know if BirdForum will support fonts other than the few listed in the 'post reply' link

Michael

I need them to write a paper on Dragonflies for a publication.
I don't need them for use on birdforum. Where does one get keyboard fonts from?

Colin.

Hi Colin,

You need a font called 'Times New Roman Special'

If you're writing for publication, you'll also need to make sure that the publisher has the font too, or it won't be printed.

Michael

Got two of these, Times New Roman Special G1 & G2. How do you go about obtaining the male and female characters?

Found them! (after a bit of searching ;)

In Word, set the font to Times New Roman Special G2

For male, shift+x (i.e., X)
For female, shift+c (i.e., C)

Michael

In Word on my pc if I type 2641 and then press Alt+X (Alt key and X simultaneously) I get the female symbol;if I type 2642 and then press Alt+X (Alt key and X simultaneously) I get the male symbol. Alternatively choose Insert, Symbol from the menu and Choose Miscellaneous Dingbats from the subset menu you can select them on screen.

Unfortunately if you put these into a web page it doesn't work - it comes out thus: ♁�‰. Not very useful.

Colin, do you know anyone with Corel, Word Perfect 8? These iconic symbols are listed under the insert >tool>iconic symbols.

Try using the "Character map" program with Arial as a font
�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰�Š�‰

I've got loads of fonts/characters on my Office programme -- the vast majority of which are totally useless -- how often do you need an aeroplane or a loaf of bread?. There's one called "Bookshelf Symbols 3" which includes the male and female symbols but they come out as E and G when I copy and paste them.
I suppose you could use some code and ask your publisher to replace it. such as <male> and <female>.

What is wrong with just putting (m) or (f) for the sexes? More people understand that, than the symbols used by the Upper Class writers.
I may know them but there are an awful lot of people who have to ask "what does that mean", as literacy is going down the pan anyway!! Nina.

Surrybirder - Those little aeroplanes etc are collectively known as 'cabbages'.

But personally I'm appalled at the idea of using Word for writing a technical document. I'd only ever consider using emacs and latex for such a task.

Windows users, if you ever want to find that character that is not on your keyboard. On your start menu click 'run' and type 'charmap' (without the quotes). Most of you will have this program installed by default (Win95 users might have to install it from their OS CDROM)

It will allow you to browse all of your installed fonts and copy any character into your documents. It will also give you the ALT code (if available) to type in directly (See Robinm's message) and a description of the symbol.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back