• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weekend in Cornwall (1 Viewer)

gareth_blockley

Smile people
Two of my mates were heading down to Cornwall for the week on friday and had a room going begging for the weekend, how could i resist?!

We got down to Penzance for about three in the afternoon, first bird on my Cornish list was Oystercatcher feeding on the roundabout. After chucking the bags in a shor walk to the sea front produced Rock pipit, Cormarant, Shag, Great black-backed gull and other commoner species. That night i heard Redstarts migrating overhead.

Saturday i planned a coastal walk in search of migrants. I started at first light fully intending on reaching Land's end, after 6 hrs i was beat and stoppedat Treen for lunch. It seemed a lot of work for little reward, highlights being Grey seal at Newlyn, Kingfisher along the shoreline, Turnstones at Mousehole harbour, Ravens, Peregrine, Siskins (and one dead) and clouded yellow butterfly. I headed into Treen to the cafe to fing it was shut, too tired to back track to the pub i sat on the bench for a minute to be greeted by a Black redstart foraging right in front of me and a lifer too!
I met up with my mates and we headed to Land's end. Not much on show, 6 Siskins flew around the head, Peregrine and 2 Gannets off at sea. Following this a quick walk around porthgarrwa produced Yellow-browed warbler (lifer) and two more Firecrests (lifer), the firecrests so close i could ID them with my naked eye!

Sunday started with a visit to St micheals mount (don't ask me why?!) on the way over there was a single Guillemot with Rock pipits and gulls around the harbour.
A drive to lizard point was next and this was also quiet. I picked out a Yellow-legged gull and mouched around. I sat watching a Peregrine high above for a bit when it sped out to sea. I kept on it and saw it went to intercept two pigeons as they came in to land, now c200m away a race to shore ensued. The pigeons head straight to the point with Peregrine hot on their tails, only to be met by c20 angry gulls. No food so after a bit of chasing about it heaed back up high where it started. That was the first i'd seen my two mates (non birders) show any interest at all and even then it could have been missed! Also several Gannets out at sea.
I was allowed a quick visit to Church cove to look for the Red-breasted flycatcher and as we arrived i spotted a group of twitchers. It must be it i thought but no it was a Radde's warbler! A little patience and there it was a full show and another lifer on the list. A bit further down to the pond to look for the RBFly, not long and it was there (my 5th lifer). Talking to the other birders i was told the Palla's warbler was still around but elusive so i stayed a bit longer. I checked every movement, any bird, all Goldcrests and eventually was treated with a very breif but certain veiw of it, my 6th lifer of the weekend!
Then a stop at Poldhu point so my mates could go to the Marconi centre,more birding for me then. I spied a juvenile Pale-bellied brent goos in the bay, 2 Black redstarts at the point around the buildings and a Hobby on the wires, Nice!

My last morning today and heard iskins flying over early am. Finally a long (expensive) train ride home, but it was worth it!

Gareth

Last edited:
What a wonderful weekend. Love that county! Palla's difficult to see as they flit in and out of the ivy in the darkest trees possible. Virtually impossible to take it's picture too!

Good weekend, I must get round to that part of the country at some point.

Enjoy the thrill of new birds while you can, as the longer your in this game the harder it is, and the more effort is required.

Well done with the Pallas's as it can be a total pain to see well.:clap:

A few pics, no award winners but they'll do me!

Attachments

• images 034.jpg
    images 034.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 68
  • images 056.jpg
    images 056.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 63
  • images 051.jpg
    images 051.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 55
  • images 063.jpg
    images 063.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 65
  • images 065.jpg
    images 065.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 65
And a few record shots of the Red-breasted flycatcher..

Attachments

• images 052.jpg
    images 052.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 63
  • images 054.jpg
    images 054.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 65
  • images 057.jpg
    images 057.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back