• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moroccan reed warbler? (1 Viewer)

Maybe this note from Go South website in French will help:

"Lors du 33ème colloque francophone d'ornithologie qui s'est tenu à Paris les 5 et 6 décembre, nos collègues Hamid Rgubi-Idrissi, Pascal Provost et Frédéric Jiguet ont présenté une excellente communication intitulée 'Un nouveau taxon de rousserolle au Maroc ?'. En voici le résumé :
'Dans le cadre d'une coopération franco-marocaine entre le CRBPO (MNHN, Paris) et le laboratoire 'Valorisation des Ressources Naturelles, Biodiversité' (Faculté des Sciences, El Jadida), nous avons découvert le 4 septembre 2009 une rousserolle étrange… !
Une expédition était programmée du 2 au 15 septembre 2009 pour la recherche du Phragmite aquatique en migration sur le site du Bas-Loukkos dans les marais de Larache au Nord du Maroc. Dès le premier jour de capture, la morphologie d'une rousserolle a interpellé l'un d'entre nous et nous a conduit à mesurer dès le second jour l'ensemble de rousserolles capturées au cours de l'expédition. Au final, 278 oiseaux de 22 espèces ont été bagués, dont 59,7% de rousserolles.
Parmi les 166 rousserolles baguées, 88 oiseaux ont été identifiées comme des rousserolles effarvattes de la sous-espèce nominale Acrocephalus scirpaceus (rousserolles nommées 'migratrices' ; 2 contrôles étrangers : France et Suède) mais 78 autres comme appartenant à un nouveau taxon (rousserolles nommées 'locales').
Une série de mesures a été faite pour caractériser ces oiseaux d'apparence morphologique différente. En effet, 101 formules alaires ont été réalisées sur des oiseaux de première année (52 locales et 49 migratrices) et 138 oiseaux ont fait l'objet de mesures biométriques complètes (bec, tarse, ongle, couleur…) Par ailleurs, 4 fiches de mue ont permis de rapporter (le fait avait été découvert précédemment par l'un d'entre nous) que des rousserolles adultes effectuaient une mue complète à cette période ! Cette mission a confirmé que seules les rousserolles locales avaient cette étrange stratégie de mue (la rousserolle effarvatte muant sur ses quartiers d'hiver en Afrique sub-saharienne), ce qui corroborait bien l'hypothèse selon laquelle nous étions peut-être en face d'une nouvelle rousserolle non décrite jusqu'à maintenant.'

Lors de la présentation, plusieurs hypothèses ont été émises : nouvelle sous-espèce de Acrocephalus scirpaceus, Acrocephalus baeticatus, ou chaînon manquant entre A. scirpaceus et A. baeticatus guiersi."

Source: http://www.go-south.org/

Helping Google Translate a bit would give, more or less:
"At Larrache, Morocco, besides the spring- and autumn-migrant Reed Warblers A scirpaceus from the western half of Europe, birds also occur that breed there, and probably do not migrate away. Local researchers already knew that Moroccan sedentary birds differ from European migrants in their short wings, and that adults perform a rapid complete moult in late summer. During a study aimed at the occurrence of Aquatic Warblers A paludicola at Larrache in the second half of September 2009, a number of Moroccan reed warblers were caught, from which it appeared that these birds also differ in size and colour from migrant Reed Warblers. This was the reason to start further research, the preliminary results of which are presented in this article. Besides collecting feathers for future isotope and DNA testing, various measurements were taken and the wing formula was assessed for a total of 91-94 specimens (while documentation with photographs and videos took place). The nine measurements [taken] were the lengths of the wing, longest primary (p3), tail, bill to feathering, bill to skull, head including bill, tarsus and hind claw, and the width of the bill at the level of nostril. From statistical analyses of these biometric data, it appears that Moroccan reed warblers are smaller than European migrants also caught there, without overlap, in all measurements including wing length. Also for the wing formula, nine variables were recorded, among which the distance between the longest (p3) and other primaries (p2-7), the distance from the outermost primary (p1) to the primary coverts, the length of the emargination on p3 and the length of the notch on p2. The statistical analyses here result in the conclusion that Moroccan reed warblers have a rounder wing tip with primary tips closer to one another, and a longer emargination on a shorter p3 than in European migrants. During the ringing other differences also surfaced. So, many of the caught Moroccan reed warblers appeared to carry an unusually high number of parasites. Also the moult strategy differed, as in early September up to five primaries, five secondaries, and all the tail feathers were replaced simultaneously. European birds usually replace at most the middle tail feathers before they reach their tropical winter range. Additionally Moroccan birds differed from European migrants in darker bare parts, with dark gray legs and contrasting yellow soles (recalling African Reed Warbler A baeticatus from Burundi and Senegal), and darker orbital ring and lower bill. The fresh plumage differed in the pale brown color that extended further below, sometimes not only on throat and flanks but on the entire underparts, and also on the head including the eyebrow. In 2010, further research will follow to assess the distribution, breeding biology, and vocalisations, and also more birds will be caught to be measured. Additionally, data are being collected about the western subspecies of African Reed Warbler A b guiersi that occurs in southern Mauritania and Senegal. The first conclusion is that the measurements and moult strategy of Moroccan reed warblers fall between those of European and African Reed Warblers, that they are also intermediate in terms of wing formula but due to the absence of an emargination on p4 look closer to European, and that in terms of plumage and bare parts colour they appear more like African. Further research will clarify the phylogeny of Moroccan reed warbler."​

Last edited:
Mangrove Reed Warbler

Thanks Laurent. It brings to mind the example of avicenniae on the other side of the continent.

Avicenniae is treated as a ssp of A baeticatus by HBW, Cornell/Clements, IOC (under review as a proposed split - Leisler et al 1997), and ABC; but as a ssp of A scirpaceus by H&M3, BLI (but under review as a potential split), and Dutch Birding, following Helbig & Seibold 1999. [BLI lumps baeticatus with A scirpaceus following Dowsett & Forbes-Watson 1993.]

I'd be interested in any views on these treatments...

Richard

Last edited:
Are there any interesting facts?
The earlier posts already give a good summary of the findings. The paper includes quite convincing graphs of Principal Component Analyses of the nine previously identified biometrics and wing formula. Comparative sonagrams of distress calls are shown, but these are inconclusive given the small sample size at this stage. As already mentioned, the biometrics and morphology of the resident Moroccan breeders seem to be intermediate between scirpaceus and guiersi – isotopic and DNA analyses of collected feather and blood samples during winter 2009/2010 are expected to result in some conclusions. More trapping and sound-recording of breeding birds will be undertaken at various sites in Morocco in spring 2010. [Phylogenetic analyses and sound-recording will be under the responsibilities of Urban Olsson & Per Alström, and Arnoud van den Berg respectively.]

Richard

Hi,

In case that someone here hasn’t read the article yet, I came across this link which is an email sent by one of the authors to a Yahoo mailing list. Scroll down until you found the article as a PDF attachment (named “Nouveau taxon 2010.pdf”).

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/african_migrants/message/65

I have heard some criticism regarding the paper, and now when I read it, it seems evident also to me. The authors have first divided the Reed Warblers into two groups, called 'local' and 'migrant', based on selected morphological characters, and then they state that local and migrant birds differ in these morphological characters. That, if any, is circular reasoning! The conclusions of the paper may well be true, but I would have expected better motivation (how do the authors know that all birds labelled 'local' are really local, and all birds labelled 'migrant' are really migrant?).

I am not really following this discussion, but those that are might like to read this fairly recent paper detailing the discovery of A. baeticatus in Libya. My apologies if someone has already drawn attention to it.

Attachments

• ZimtrohrsangerLimicola2009.pdf
    705.9 KB · Views: 1,560
I am not really following this discussion, but those that are might like to read this fairly recent paper detailing the discovery of A. baeticatus in Libya.
Thanks Guy, very interesting. Both Acrocephalus (baeticatus/scirpaceus) avicenniae 'Mangrove Reed Warbler' and A baeticatus African Reed Warbler (presumably cinnamomeus 'Rufescent Reed Warbler') almost certainly breeding in the WP sensu stricto. I'm surprised that this hasn't been more widely reported.

Richard

Last edited:
I am not really following this discussion, but those that are might like to read this fairly recent paper detailing the discovery of A. baeticatus in Libya.

Thank you very much Guy for posting the article, I wasn’t aware of it before. Could you please provide me with the month (in 2009) of the publication if possible? If not just ignore my request.

Regards

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back